Flyers Regular Season Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
But thats completely unacceptable to come into camp out of shape and fat as a profession athlete. Not to MENTION after his first off season after getting his big fat contract. How anybody can be okay with that is laughable.

That was actually a thing for awhile-- Hartnell got lit up for showing up out of shape as well.

Oh, and that 3rd goal the Flyers backcheck from 3 forwards coming back was lousy. 2 Flyers really made an effort, but the other 3 did not make the right effort to pick up the trailer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks guys.

I hate to use this word becuase of the b****y and whinny tone of it...

But thats completely unacceptable to come into camp out of shape and fat as a profession athlete. Not to MENTION after his first off season after getting his big fat contract. How anybody can be okay with that is laughable.

Go look at the threads from the 15-16 preseason. No one was talking about Voracek looking out of shape.

The mom's cooking thing goes all the way back to the lockout season. In 13-14 he actually struggled to start the season because he hurt his back in preseason.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=9215&cHash=06ed93c6ef726d78676dd76c3cb775bf

he caught heat for his conditioning after the lockout in 2012. Voracek joked that he perhaps had enjoyed his mother's home cooking a little too much while playing for HC Lev during the lockout. Now-former teammate Scott Hartnell, who also admittedly reported to the Flyers in less-than-ideal shape after the lockout, joked that Voracek and himself were candidates for "fat camp."

Of course, those concerns disappeared quickly when Voracek went on to have a career season in the 48-game 2012-13 season, posting 22 goals, 46 points and scoring on 17.0 percent of his shots.

Last season, while the Flyers got off to a horrendous 1-7-0 and 4-10-1 start and scored just 22 goals over their first 15 games, much of the attention was focused on the fact that Claude Giroux had no goals over that span. Voracek did not fare much better, scoring just one goal and four points in the first 15 games of the season.

Something that gets easily forgotten: Voracek was not a healthy player entering the 2013/14 season. He injured his back in the preseason on a play where he slid into the goal post. He was still clearly at less than 100 percent in the early going of the season, even though he did not want to use injury as an excuse.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
To dip my toe into the Voracek "discussion", there were at least two occasions last night where he tried the power move to the net to force the puck into the net. I don't see any indication that he is playing less aggressively or not as a "power forward". The problem was that he had at least two defenders blocking his lane. It's another symptom of what I posted previously about the lack of team flow and movement to challenge the zone defense. If more players were putting themselves in areas to give pass-shoot options, then Voracek / Giroux / etc. wouldn't have to try to stickhandle through three defenders.

The nicest example of puck movement for the Flyers last night, IMO, was the tic-tac-toe with Voracek being the tac to a streaking Bellemare. Of course he wasn't the optimal forward (to say the least!) to take that pass, but he took it with speed, made a decent move on Holtby and lost the handle. But that was a shining example of the Flyers forwards stretching out the defense and finding an open lane for a golden scoring chance. More, please!

Voracek's shot could absolutely improve, and I pine for a player who could consistently fire shots like the first two goals against Neuvirth. I miss that about Hartnell, for one. I miss that Read doesn't use his accurate shot more. In their absence, however, they need to create space in the high slot to get off some dangerous shots. I liked the little set play (at least it looked like one) where Schenn tapped a short pass to Giroux, who gave it right back, and Schenn (practically looking away from the net) wheeled and fired a hard snap shot at the net. It was tricky and creative and 100 times better than the 15-20 muffins they lob at opposing goaltenders every game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Voraceks shot is really his only flaw.

But I'd like to point out, for the people who keep talking about how he passes too much and doesn't shoot and that's why he shouldn't be with Giroux, he leads the team in shots by a lot. 196 for Jake and the 2nd place is Simmonds with 157, and he's 9th in the entire league in shots. So it's not that he doesn't shoot, it's that he doesn't have a great shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad