Confirmed with Link: Flyers re-sign Carter Hart 3x$3.979m

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Flyers sign Carter Hart to three year contract extension

The Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed goaltender Carter Hart to a three-year contract extension worth an average annual value (AAV) of $3.979M, according to President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Chuck Fletcher.

CARTER HART
POSITION: Goaltender
DRAFTED: 2016 - 2nd Round (48th overall) by Flyers
BORN: Sherwood Park, Alberta
VITALS: 6'2", 181 pounds
CATCHES: Left

* The contract will run through the 2023-24 season.​

Last edited by a moderator:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I wonder if Fletcher was ever a vacuum salesman because several of his deals look pretty good in them. The big raise isn't out of the question and I would call it fair to bet on Hart developing into the franchise goaltender that the Flyers have needed for decades, but given Hart's historically bad numbers last season Fletcher didn't manage to save cap space in the immediate term nor did he extend the deal to where (IMHO) we will be looking at a Couturier-like steal contract. Add to this the fact that an arbitration hearing with Sanheim is pending with a tick over $4 million to spend and Fletcher is sitting in the corner of the room with a near-empty paint can.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
John Gibson got 3x$2.3 after 2 very good seasons. Hart is coming off a bad season (I don't think it's entirely his fault), we paid a premium for his first two seasons and acted like last season didn't exist.

For context, that was about 3.2% of the cap when Gibson signed. Hart's deal is about 4.9% now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
6.5 for a goalie tandem isn’t bad until you consider they were the worst two in the league last year.

The “if he bounces back” tag lines don’t mean much when he was the worst starting goalie in the league last year. They got no discount on the deal. Even if the deal does become a “bargain”, with the way it is structured, (yet) another 3 year bridge(!), the next contract will be massive without the multiple RFA years balancing out the AAV. This guy just does not understand value. He is incapable of getting any.

In the flat cap world, it’s an overpay. There is a very small chance the Flyers get real surplus value out of this deal with plenty of downside risk considering his most recent year and the nature of the goalie position.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
6.5 for a goalie tandem isn’t bad until you consider they were the worst two in the league last year.

The “if he bounces back” tag lines don’t mean much when he was the worst starting goalie in the league last year. They got no discount on the deal. Even if the deal does become a “bargain” with the way it is structured, yet another 3 year bridge, the next contract will be massive without the multiple RFA years balancing out the AAV. The guy just does not understand value.

In the flat cap world, it’s an overpay.

Where's your Harvard degree? Thats what I thought, lol.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I wonder if Fletcher was ever a vacuum salesman because several of his deals look pretty good in them. The big raise isn't out of the question and I would call it fair to bet on Hart developing into the franchise goaltender that the Flyers have needed for decades, but given Hart's historically bad numbers last season Fletcher didn't manage to save cap space in the immediate term nor did he extend the deal to where (IMHO) we will be looking at a Couturier-like steal contract. Add to this the fact that an arbitration hearing with Sanheim is pending with a tick over $4 million to spend and Fletcher is sitting in the corner of the room with a near-empty paint can.
That little over 4 million left for Sanheim now is very scary.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's a little higher than I would have liked. And given they didn't get a good backup to support him, I hope that doesns't affect his confidence level. In a very competitive divison, where there will be a lot of pressure to win to keep pace, it could go south quickliy, esp since AV's ineffective , inefficent run and gun system puts a lot of pressure on goaltending.

But he is very young, at at 22, given how it takes most goalies years to grow into their complete game, even if he has ups and downs, the hope is that his game will grow and mature over time.

I just wish we had a different coach, AV did damage to him and other young players last year and if the Flyers struggle, that won't bode well.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Surprised at the hit but I get it. Honestly he didn't earn this with the way he played last year but the hope is, I assume, that he will very quickly outplay this contract.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That little over 4 million left for Sanheim now is very scary.

We can all be very thankful that offer sheets are so underused. I am curious what the outcome would be if the arbitrator determines an amount for Sanheim that exceeds the available cap. Yes, the Flyers can sit over cap in the off-season but an additional move would have to be made.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
We can all be very thankful that offer sheets are so underused. I am curious what the outcome would be if the arbitrator determines an amount for Sanheim that exceeds the available cap. Yes, the Flyers can sit over cap in the off-season but an additional move would have to be made.
I see 14 forwards, 7 d and 2 goalies with Sanheim included on Cap Friendly. So maybe they ditch a forward for league min but don't they usually like a little space for wiggle room into the season?

Reactions: BernieParent

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I’m ok with this signing, but getting Sanheim signed now, without making any other moves, is gonna be a bitch.

Even a one year, 3.75 million deal leaves them with a minuscule cap cushion of less than 300K based on a 22 man roster.

This is not good

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Not good. Should have been able to get a discount after last year. Strange deal.

upload_2021-8-9_10-26-41.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad