Post-Game Talk: Flyers @ Rangers game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
equalizer penalty.... Refs wanted philly back into the game, no doubt about it... Even NBC was saying how some of the penalties this series have been BS...

except Mike "assface" Milbury... be according to him, everything the rangers do is because of the flyers bad luck and not the rangers skill..

Millbury just hates the Rangers. He's basically the Don Cherry of America. The fact that the Rangers are rising above the goonery, actually playing skilled hockey and succeeding upsets him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Don't know of anywhere free, but hockeystreams.com has all of the games archived and live. $7.99/day, $17.99/month... or $32.99 for the whole playoffs.

Not sure if it's out of your price range, but the quality has been great.

Agree, for me the only way to watch the Rangers in 720p. NHL CenterIce is very laggy and not always 720p

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
This

Stralman HAS to be smarter... especially when we have a 3-0 lead late in the 2nd. We were all over them, he runs Mason, takes a penalty, they score on the PP with :30 to go in the period and the game changed right there.

Damn lucky we held them off in the final 90 secs.

I don't agree with the Stralman penalty in the least. It was an iffy call, he was tangled/pushed a bit. It was all in one motion and it wasn't designed to kill the goalie. It was ticky tacky for sure.

Wolfy*

equalizer penalty.... Refs wanted philly back into the game, no doubt about it... Even NBC was saying how some of the penalties this series have been BS...

It's time to discuss the quality of the refs in this league, been awful this season.

I don't know if there is an award in the NHL for the best ref, really don't care, but there should be something like that to put more pressure on them.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Disagree, he was nudged into Mason by Flyer player, I would not say he ran over Mason. I have seen quite a few plays on Hank that looked a lot worse that was not called in this series

Agree to disagree then.

That gets called every time. Had that happened to Hank and they didn't call it we'd be screaming almost louder than we are about the quick whistle non-goal.

Brainless play by Stralman.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's time to discuss the quality of the refs in this league, been awful this season.

I don't know if there is an award in the NHL for the best ref, really don't care, but there should be something like that to put more pressure on them.

The one consistent is they are awful every season. So frustrating.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
Agree to disagree then.

That gets called every time. Had that happened to Hank and they didn't call it we'd be screaming almost louder than we are about the quick whistle non-goal.

Brainless play by Stralman.

But yet Hank gets hit worse and there is NO CALL. Stralman made a move to the net to score not run over Mason, he was nudged into Mason. It was ??? call especially the way the Flyers have been crashing into our net

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's a solid forechecker. Gifted 3rd liner in the respect that he's faster and quicker to the puck, has an uncanny ability to hold the puck when he gets it.
I do not disagree. He can be an excellent third line player, on a team that already ha size and are looking to add speed. He is misplaced as a 2nd line player.

And yes, he could be upgraded from.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
But yet Hank gets hit worse and there is NO CALL. Stralman made a move to the net to score not run over Mason, he was nudged into Mason. It was ??? call especially the way the Flyers have been crashing into our net

When did Lundqvist get hit?

He rarely does because he plays so deep in the net.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Let's just say thank god you are not the coach.

please tell me why...

Why it's an awful idea to try a right handed offesnive Dman with a shut down Left handed defenseman

Do not get me wrong, I am not a big fan of Miller. As much as I want him to, he's not centering the 3rd line next year, which is a shame, but he needs more maturation. It's imperative that Nash be productive, so I am thinking that he needs to move back to his natural side. unfortunately there is nobody else to center him other than Stepan or Richards, because Brassard cannot do it (it's been tried many times and has had no success).

OR, perhaps Nash can adapt to the left side of the ice and allow us to run a real top line, then none of this is necessary

Wolfy*

We should keep running into Mason without being called. While Hank stays calm, Mason loses his head and starts throwing punches and sticks.

And of course he's also losing focus when he gets upset, and that's good for us.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I do not disagree. He can be an excellent third line player, on a team that already ha size and are looking to add speed. He is misplaced as a 2nd line player.

And yes, he could be upgraded from.

This is exactly how I feel about Hagelin. Ideal 3rd liner, but forced into the top 6 due to lack of LW depth which is further compounded by Kreider's injury.

I think he would excel on a forechecking line that could cycle the puck. However, he usually ends up playing on a line centered by Richards or Stepan, and playing a skill game is not Hagelin's forte.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Being an NHL ref is amongst the hardest jobs in pro sports.

So excuse me if I dont take your armchair opinion seriously.

Take it seriously or not. They just aren't consistent. I get it, it's a tough job. But it's frustrating when they frequently call penalties that didn't take place, or let one blatant penalty go while making a ticky tack call minutes later. It's just how it's been and will likely continue to be. Fortunately last nights horror of a non-goal call didn't come back to bite us.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

I have not seen the Flyers run Hank like that once this series.

Has he ever been run like that? Of course. Was it called? Probably was and was not at various times.

Should it be called? Yes.

Should a team expect it to be called? Yes.

What's the best poss outcome of running him? It's not like he's playing lights out and we want him out of there... maybe Stralman forces a puck past him and the refs blow the call and we go up 4-0.

The more likely outcome is a penalty is called, the Flyers go on the PP, score and get back in the game.

Which is EXACTLY what happened.

Wolfy*

Take it seriously or not. They just aren't consistent. I get it, it's a tough job. But it's frustrating when they frequently call penalties that didn't take place, or let one blatant penalty go while making a ticky tack call minutes later. It's just how it's been and will likely continue to be. Fortunately last nights horror of a non-goal call didn't come back to bite us.

I believe the ref did admit it should've been a goal, but he blew the whistle too soon when he didn't see the puck and thought Mason had it locked up.

But it's no excuse, bad bad ref, and we got robbed there.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is exactly how I feel about Hagelin. Ideal 3rd liner, but forced into the top 6 due to lack of LW depth which is further compounded by Kreider's injury.

I think he would excel on a forechecking line that could cycle the puck. However, he usually ends up playing on a line centered by Richards or Stepan, and playing a skill game is not Hagelin's forte.

Well Brassard is the epitome of (not as much as you'd like) skill, which means the only viable option is Hagelin-Moore-Boyle as a 4th line, moving Dorsett/Carcillo up to the 3rd line (Richards with Carcillo has been working, so it is an option)>

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
When did Lundqvist get hit?

He rarely does because he plays so deep in the net.

I have not seen the Flyers run Hank like that once this series.

Has he ever been run like that? Of course. Was it called? Probably was and was not at various times.

Should it be called? Yes.

Should a team expect it to be called? Yes.

What's the best poss outcome of running him? It's not like he's playing lights out and we want him out of there... maybe Stralman forces a puck past him and the refs blow the call and we go up 4-0.

The more likely outcome is a penalty is called, the Flyers go on the PP, score and get back in the game.

Which is EXACTLY what happened.

He has been run numerous times in the series, the difference was no penalty called. Thus no one to harp on it. You say it got them back in the game but yet it wasn't until the final 2 minutes of the game the Flyers scored to cut it one.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009

was talking about this with the GF the other day. I wonder with the lack of talent and guys retiring if the NHL would go back to the one ref per game.

I think you would see more consistent calls and the more experienced refs could cover more games not being part of a pair. Nothing angers me more when the ref standing right next to the play calls nothing but the guy all the way on the other side calls a penalty. Also 1 guys definition of X rules the day vs. 2 different definitions. The down side is the behind the play stuff.

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
by the way to everyone complaining about J. Moore being invisible, he had the one-timer that went through Mason and St. Louis tipped in that was disallowed.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He has been run numerous times in the series, the difference was no penalty called. Thus no one to harp on it. You say it got them back in the game but yet it wasn't until the final 2 minutes of the game the Flyers scored to cut it one.

I don't think you're being objective about the bolded.

About the rest of your post:

Go back and watch the minute or so leading up to that penalty... we were all over them... it looked like 4-0 was imminent. Stralman runs Mason, they get a PP, score and the momentum shifts.

The 3rd period NYR tried to lock up defensively but the momentum was in Philly's favor. It's the difference between a 3-0 lead heading into the 3rd and a 2 goal lead. We all know how insurmountable a 2 goal lead is in hockey right?

FOD

Jul 26, 2011

Yesterday was an embarrassment. St. Pierre was more worried about stuff going on after the whistle than making proper calls. He should not ref another playoff game this year.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
I don't think you're being objective about the bolded.

About the rest of your post:

Go back and watch the minute or so leading up to that penalty... we were all over them... it looked like 4-0 was imminent. Stralman runs Mason, they get a PP, score and the momentum shifts.

The 3rd period NYR tried to lock up defensively but the momentum was in Philly's favor. It's the difference between a 3-0 lead heading into the 3rd and a 2 goal lead. We all know how insurmountable a 2 goal lead is in hockey right?

Whether the call was questionable or not, up 3-0 Stralman should just take the shot and go back to his position on D. He shouldn't be crashing the net at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad