Flyers pull goalie approximately 1 minute after being eliminated, gift Caps playoff spot

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
like we discussed earlier, Torterella was gonna do this strategy regardless of the Wings score
so what, if wings are winning what does it matter what he does, Philly is out, there’s a reason you aren’t answering that question.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he's saying if Detroit had the game in the bag going into the third, Torts would've never pulled the goalie and try to win the game in OT for the fans at least.
Agreed. Detroit was trailing virtually the entire B2B with Montreal. If it was reversed and Det was leading Mon, then unless Mon scored twice to win in Reg, Detroit getting that point eliminates PHI.

Which Torts would see on the out of town scoreboard in the arena.

End of the day, all of Det, Phi, Pitt know that they blew chances to secure a PO spot.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
My biggest beef is pulling the goalie with more than three minutes to go. Obviously Philadelphia has to win this game in regulation but that was way too early to yank the goalie; the fact that they had just been eliminated by virtue of the fact the Red Wings forced another last second OT game against the hapless Canadiens just makes it a more interesting coincidence.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
My biggest beef is pulling the goalie with more than three minutes to go. Obviously Philadelphia has to win this game in regulation but that was way too early to yank the goalie; the fact that they had just been eliminated by virtue of the fact the Red Wings forced another last second OT game against the hapless Canadiens just makes it a more interesting coincidence.
But teh analytics say ...

If Torts doesn't pull the goalie early and the Flyers don't win in regulation, he gets blamed for not pulling the goalie earlier. Especially if other games break such that a regulation win would have put the Flyers in the 2WC spot pending the Penguins game tonight. For all we know, he could have left the goalie in and Washington still would have scored. Or, it would have gone to OT and Washington might have won it there. Or, it could have gone to the shootout and Washington might have won it there.

No one knows, and anyone trying to guess is speculating without any proof at all. Stick to the facts we know. Again, this ultimately comes down to Detroit not doing what it should have earlier in the season and being stuck in the situation where it needed to win and get other help to get in. Don't blame others for not helping Detroit out, blame Detroit for not getting its shit together and avoiding being in that spot.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This thread is something else. People have a hard time comprehending the fact the Flyers needed to win in regulation. They actually should of pulled Ersson sooner with a offensive zone faceoff. The Flyers were trying to win a game in regulation. They never did give a flying f*** about screwing over Detroit.

They missed the playoffs for the same reason the Flyers did, they choked away to many games earlier in the season.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
OP they weren’t eliminated, they had to win that game in regulation give themselves any hope.
They were eliminated. They needed to win in regulation and detroit to lose in regulation. Detroit forced overtime tying there game with 3 seconds left in regulation and getting a point thereby eliminating the flyers approximately 1 minute prior to the flyers pulling their goalie. Although obviously tortorella was just not aware and not checking the opposing score every second.

It literally was only between 45-90 seconds between the event of detroit forcing overtime and the flyers pulling their goalie.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Last game of the season, tie game, but anything other than a regulation win means you're eliminated in the game you're playing -- you pull the goalie. If a coach doesn't do that and they end up in OT (and eliminated) the coach would end up being crucified for not pulling the goalie.

That they were mathematically eliminated a min or so before the coach pulls the goalie because of the outcome of a different game is (mostly) irrelevant. Any good/decent coach is going to tell their players to ignore the other game(s) and focus on the game at hand. They're more likely to lose if they're spending time watching the scoreboard and not focused on the game.

That the coach in question was Torts, just makes it funny.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So what happens if the Wings late goal gets reviewed for whatever reason, and called back ? Meanwhile Philly doesn't pull their goalie, thinking its all over for them, only to find out the Detroit goal didnt count and Philly is now out without even so much as making an attempt to win the game in regulation. Torts would look pretty stupid then hey? Like others have said many times, Torts was worried only about HIS team and accomplishing what they HAD to do in order to keep their playoff hopes alive.

I could be wrong but I believe that regulation had already ended in Montreal before the Flyers pulled their goalie so the result was already final for at least a minute or so. I don't know, it all happened so fast. Honestly, would it surprise anybody if Torts knew the result already and said "f*** it, we're pulling the goalie anyway".

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Additional salt in the would....perhaps already noted, I haven't read all 23 pages. I didn't know this last night as I was flipping between games, but PHI had a goal disallowed. Anyone see this? My son just showed me the video....apparently the puck was shot, hit the goalie I believe and went in the air, came down and off a PHI player and into the net. What happened was while the puck went in the air, the ref didn't know where it was and thought the goalie had it, so goal was waived off due to that. I don't know if the whistle went or not.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I could be wrong but I believe that regulation had already ended in Montreal before the Flyers pulled their goalie so the result was already final for at least a minute or so. I don't know, it all happened so fast. Honestly, would it surprise anybody if Torts knew the result already and said "f*** it, we're pulling the goalie anyway".
It would surprise me if Torts spent time memorizing the play-off permutations for all the other teams in the east rather than focusing on the game plan for the Flyers.

What doesn’t surprise me is that there are people on the internet who see conspiracies everywhere they look, and will shove common sense out of the way for a better view.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
We missed the playoffs because Washington was given a freebie.
That depends on your point of view. You missed because Washington was given a freebie, OR, missed because you lost 2 games to Washington in your last 8 games of the season, plus had 7 and 4 game losing streaks down the stretch. At the end of the day the Wings had their chances to grab points and totally avoid this situation. What Tortorella did was completely out of Detroit's hands. Those games though, Detroit had complete control of the outcome and lost them.

Gutsy effort in those last games, but they just didn't play well enough down the stretch.

Planetov

Nov 18, 2019
Philly had zero reason to keep tabs on the Detroit game.
Last game of the season, tie game, but anything other than a regulation win means you're eliminated in the game you're playing -- you pull the goalie. If a coach doesn't do that and they end up in OT (and eliminated) the coach would end up being crucified for not pulling the goalie.

That they were mathematically eliminated a min or so before the coach pulls the goalie because of the outcome of a different game is (mostly) irrelevant. Any good/decent coach is going to tell their players to ignore the other game(s) and focus on the game at hand. They're more likely to lose if they're spending time watching the scoreboard and not focused on the game.

That the coach in question was Torts, just makes it funny.
Dear Detroit and Pittsburgh fans, please read through the quoted post thoroughly. This is a rational explanation of what actually happened.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
You are wrong.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
That depends on your point of view. You missed because Washington was given a freebie, OR, missed because you lost 2 games to Washington in your last 8 games of the season, plus had 7 and 4 game losing streaks down the stretch. At the end of the day the Wings had their chances to grab points and totally avoid this situation. What Tortorella did was completely out of Detroit's hands. Those games though, Detroit had complete control of the outcome and lost them.

Gutsy effort in those last games, but they just didn't play well enough down the stretch.
Or giving up a 4 goal lead to the Sharks to only lose in overtime back in December,

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
They were eliminated. They needed to win in regulation and detroit to lose in regulation. Detroit forced overtime tying there game with 3 seconds left in regulation and getting a point thereby eliminating the flyers approximately 1 minute prior to the flyers pulling their goalie. Although obviously tortorella was just not aware and not checking the opposing score every second.

It literally was only between 45-90 seconds between the event of detroit forcing overtime and the flyers pulling their goalie.
Answer this.

What would have happened if Torts finds out Detroit scores 1 minute before he decides to pull his goalie, so never ends up doing so, only to find out the goal was challenged and overturned? He would have looked the fool. So to prevent that, he stuck to his plan and let the chips fall where they may.

Things happened fast and its easy while sitting on a couch to second guess, but on real time, while fighting for their season they made the call that was best beneficial to the Flyers. Any one of us would have done the same and your a liar if you claim otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad