Flyers pull goalie approximately 1 minute after being eliminated, gift Caps playoff spot

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Fun fact, most coaches only care about their own team winning and Torts couldn't give 2 dog poops about the Red Wings, Penguins and Capitals playoff hopes. The only thing on his mind was trying to win his game in regulation. Should he be distracted, constantly watching the out of town scoreboard for updates instead of coaching his own team? At the end of the day the Red Wings, Caps and Pens all played themselves into this situation. Take the L and move on.

This is my main takeaway also. PHI needed regulation win regardless of what was happening around, or they are out. Torts would gain absolutely nothing by closely following DET game scoreline, as it was reg-win or out anyway. Add this to fact that the gap between DET goal and Torts pulling the goalie was less than a minute, and this entire controversy brewed by some that Torts screwed some teams over on purpose... Is ridiculous, to say the least.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
benefit of the call lol, what about the Capitals getting the benefit from Kelly Sutherland taking away a goal from Philly? or the blatant too many men penalty that was "missed" again by Kelly Sutherland.

and also no, youre 100% wrong. The Wings scored to force overtime 3 minutes before Torterella pulled.

At the end of the day, its the NHL that dropped the ball by not staggering the starts, and delaying the start of the Flyers vs Caps game to 7:30. That would have avoided all the bulls*** that happened, and the Wings may be getting ready for their series against the Rangers.

This is why the Red Wings aren't in the playoffs.

+++

1713376745310.png

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
the salt? what are you talking about? We missed the playoffs because Washington was given a freebie. This is now 8 years since we've seen a playoff game. Were supposed to be cheerful and happy about it? Like it would be concerning if Wings fans and players werent salty after getting hosed like that
WAAAA
Yes, John Tortella, Torts, as he's known, would rather take the Red Wings down with him, than make the playoffs himself.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Pulling the goalie in a tie game and losing makes you look like total f***ing idiots or, if you rather, cucks bending over and giving favors to the team you’re facing rather than trying to win.
Not if your season is on the line if you don't win in regulation it doesn't. In that exact same situation it was the only obvious play. To state otherwise just makes a person look and sound stupid.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
benefit of the call lol, what about the Capitals getting the benefit from Kelly Sutherland taking away a goal from Philly? or the blatant too many men penalty that was "missed" again by Kelly Sutherland.

and also no, youre 100% wrong. The Wings scored to force overtime 3 minutes before Torterella pulled.

At the end of the day, its the NHL that dropped the ball by not staggering the starts, and delaying the start of the Flyers vs Caps game to 7:30. That would have avoided all the bulls*** that happened, and the Wings may be getting ready for their series against the Rangers.

If the Flyers know the Wings have eliminated them 30 minutes earlier than they did, then who's to say they play the 3rd with the same intensity than if they had something to play for?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'm having a 2nd look at this, tiebreaker would have been crazy for PHI if they won in regulation. If PHI beat WSH in regulation, they'd both be sitting at 89pts, both would have 31 regulation wins, both would have 35 regulation or OT wins, both would have 39 total wins....PHI would have got the tiebreaker because of a SO win against WSH back in December.
Not quite correct. They would've have actually still been tied after the head-to-heard record. Because they played 3 times (2 in Philly, 1 in DC), the first game in the city with the most home games is ignored. Washington won the second game in regulation, so a regulation win from the Flyers would've tied the series (in regards to tiebreakers) at 2 points each. So, it would have went to goal differential where the Flyers had a good-sized lead.

Reactions: kicksavedave

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
the salt? what are you talking about? We missed the playoffs because Washington was given a freebie. This is now 8 years since we've seen a playoff game. Were supposed to be cheerful and happy about it? Like it would be concerning if Wings fans and players werent salty after getting hosed like that

Yea, because if the Caps don't get a freebie, there they are guaranteed to lose the game [\sarcasm].

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
? Dang .. didnt know it was that bad, Caps are what .. 15 playoffs last 17 seasons or something.

8 straight seasons of no playoffs when half the league makes it?

Guess silver lining is that yall are used to it. You know .. sucking and not making the playoffs.

f*** the Caps are old, cant score more than 2 goals a game, sold at deadline .. and still got in.

8 years .. I knew you guys sucked but I did not know it was that bad.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The Wings had a plethora of ways to get that spot from Washington and they didn't. Was it super anticlimactic considering the crazy end to our game Vs. Mtl, sure. But I'm certainly not sitting going Phi screwed the Wings. It was very close and their staff was focused on their game. Also we can't be sure that Washington wouldn't have won the game after or in OT. If Wash got 2 points later they still would have made it over the Wings.

With that said, it's not a great look for the NHL, and when they realized the possibility that it would play out like that they probably should have staggered the game starts. If you start the Wings/MTL at 7 and Wash/Phi at 730 everyone would likely know where the Wings stood prior to when they would have pulled the goalie.

It also would have helped push a nice ratings spike for that game for the 3rd period and made the end of the Wings game way less anti-climatic.

Reactions: RedWingzz

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Has this been posted yet? Maybe it should be added to the OP

The fact that Tortorella wasn't told until after the empty net goal won't deter these guys from coming up with wild conspiracy theories. Claiming that he knew and did it intentionally to screw over Detroit and Pittsburgh. It's complete nonsense, but you won't convince them otherwise.

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Not quite correct. They would've have actually still been tied after the head-to-heard record. Because they played 3 times (2 in Philly, 1 in DC), the first game in the city with the most home games is ignored. Washington won the second game in regulation, so a regulation win from the Flyers would've tied the series (in regards to tiebreakers) at 2 points each. So, it would have went to goal differential where the Flyers had a good-sized lead.
I think coaches will need AI copilots soon, so many calculations/decisions in realtime, eg how to get to playoffs without playing god with rivals chances or hurting their feelings :)

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
TSN has the Caps and Wings tied with 91 points, but the wings have ROW 38 and the Caps ROW is 36. Shouldn’t the Wings get the spot?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
no salt to start? thank goodness we found it in the end

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Thank you for your editorial suggestion my friend.

I will try and limit the positive comments directed toward my team in the future.

edit -- aww dude youre a Red Wings fan ... stay salty I guess. have a good summer my guy
I'm not salty about anything. I'm confused why this thread exists. I'm really confused how its at page 20. I agree with you that Washington got it done by winning several big games.

I'm just more confused why you're pretending Ovechkin pulled off some heroic shit instead of the Red Wings scoring a goal when your team already stopped trying because they already won the game

Reactions: Neil Racki
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
? Dang .. didnt know it was that bad, Caps are what .. 15 playoffs last 17 seasons or something.

8 straight seasons of no playoffs when half the league makes it?

Guess silver lining is that yall are used to it. You know .. sucking and not making the playoffs.

f*** the Caps are old, cant score more than 2 goals a game, sold at deadline .. and still got in.

8 years .. I knew you guys sucked but I did not know it was that bad.
yeah man, the Wings have sucked so much, I've only had the pleasure of watching them win 4 Cups, one of them probably the easiest Cup final of all time in 1998

enlighten me on all the Cups you've seen your beloved Capitals win...?

enjoy getting swept by the Rangers, your -175 goal differential this year really shows you deserve to be in the playoffs

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
The Wings had a plethora of ways to get that spot from Washington and they didn't. Was it super anticlimactic considering the crazy end to our game Vs. Mtl, sure. But I'm certainly not sitting going Phi screwed the Wings. It was very close and their staff was focused on their game. Also we can't be sure that Washington wouldn't have won the game after or in OT. If Wash got 2 points later they still would have made it over the Wings.

With that said, it's not a great look for the NHL, and when they realized the possibility that it would play out like that they probably should have staggered the game starts. If you start the Wings/MTL at 7 and Wash/Phi at 730 everyone would likely know where the Wings stood prior to when they would have pulled the goalie.

It also would have helped push a nice ratings spike for that game for the 3rd period and made the end of the Wings game way less anti-climatic.
Why the NHL doesn't do better with regards to staggering their start times is beyond me.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, you are correct....I ignored that part as I thought it was in situations when you have more than 2 teams tied, but see it's for 2 or more.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I feel like blaming the Flyers and Torts is such a cop out in a way considering there are many other reasons the Wings missed the playoffs?

How about the blown 4 goal lead against the Sharks in December where they ended up losing 6-5 in overtime?

Reactions: Mattb124

archangel2

May 19, 2019
The flyers needed to win. End of discussion. I tie meant nothing to them. GO big or GO home. Block out the wings the discussion. FLyers win and Caps lose in regulartion? Who win the try breaker? If Torts plan had worked? WIngs fans would be sending Flyers bottles of Johnny Walker Blue today. For me the plan makes sense when you realize how the caps getting a single point f*ks the Flyers. FLyers could not go to over time. That is the brass tax of it. Caps getting a single point knocks the flyers out even if they win in overtime. A flyer win in overtime would have put the wings in and not the caps but why would the flyers care about the wings. One point they are out. People bitching about this are the same people who can not figure out why they are getting wet for pissing into the wind

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The flyers needed to win. End of discussion. I tie meant nothing to them. GO big or GO home. Block out the wings the discussion. FLyers win and Caps lose in regulartion? Who win the try breaker? If Torts plan had worked? WIngs fans would be sending Flyers bottles of Johnny Walker Blue today. For me the plan makes sense when you realize how the caps getting a single point f*ks the Flyers. FLyers could not go to over time. That is the brass tax of it. Caps getting a single point knocks the flyers out even if they win in overtime. A flyer win in overtime would have put the wings in and not the caps but why would the flyers care about the wings. One point they are out. People bitching about this are the same people who can not figure out why they are getting wet for pissing into the wind
you are mssing the point though, when they pulled their goalie, the Flyers were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs due to Detroit going to OT

why is this so hard to understand?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
TSN has the Caps and Wings tied with 91 points, but the wings have ROW 38 and the Caps ROW is 36. Shouldn’t the Wings get the spot?

First tie breaker is regulation wins now. They changed it around the time they introduced 3v3 overtime.

Reactions: Gotaf7

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
you are mssing the point though, when they pulled their goalie, the Flyers were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs due to Detroit going to OT

why is this so hard to understand?
Why is this so hard to understand: The Flyers/Tortorella didn't know that until after the first empty net goal was scored. After that they pulled the goalie again, but that actually f***s Washington more than anyone else since Washington is now sitting on a regulation win and Philly is already eliminated.

So even if we accept (for some stupid reason) that Tortorella did this in error or out of spite, he also turned around and did it again to give the Wings a chance they wouldn't have had if the Flyers just packed it up after the 2-1 goal. If the Caps get taken to OT/SO then lose they wouldn't be in (far as I can tell), so Tortorella pulling the goalie down 2-1 is basically only to win the last game of the season and spoil the Caps' chances with the Flyers already out.

tl;dr even if you want to be mad about Tortorella pulling the goalie while tied you also have to recognize that pulling it while they're down only helps other teams, not Washington. He's paid to win his team's games, not help you with the results of yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad