Flyers pull goalie approximately 1 minute after being eliminated, gift Caps playoff spot

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Of course it did, if the WSH-PHI game was played 1 hour later the Flyers dont pull the goaltender and it goes to OT. So it was certainly gifted. Not the Flyers or WSH fault, just the stupid NHL rules. But it was a free gifted win, thats not even debatable!
What stupid rules,?
both games were 7pm starts, lol it wasn’t gifted, that’s a funny take though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Flyers were doing what they should be doing - focusing on doing their part which was to win in regulation.

Trying to make this a thing that it's not is just buthurt feelings over missing the post season.

Flyers, Caps, Islanders, Wings and the Pens all went through stages of absolute sucking in the last 3 weeks of the season all had it in their own hand at some point and in the end, Islanders and Caps finished of the season the strongest.
Absolutely. PHI had a chance to beat Chi, CBS, and Mon last week who are the 2nd, 4th, and 6th worst teams in the NHL this season and got 0 points out of those 3 games.

None are great teams on a pure Reg W/L.
Was - 32-31, Det 27-32, Pitt 32-31, and Phi 30-33

Even the Isles at 28-27

Compared to:
TB as WC2 is 36-29

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm sure others have said it (I didn't read all 17 pages of this thread), but there's a lot of sloppy talk here and elsewhere online conflating when DET scored and when Philly was eliminated. DET scoring did not eliminate Philly, and thus was not particularly relevant to Torts in the moment. The only relevant event is DET securing the point. While this may seem like a distinction without a difference given how late the DET goal came, when we're talking about judging the Flyers/Torts' conduct based on the passage of literally seconds here, the distinction matters. The DET goal could have been reviewed. And then there was some fractional chance MTL scores in the final 3.3 seconds. While there was still time on the clock in DET, no sane human charged with updating Torts about the DET game is going to come barreling down the tunnel to interrupt Tort's coaching a life-or-death game 82 in order to convey the fact that DET seemed LIKELY to have secured a point, because that has zero impact on Torts' strategy. Torts is still going to be playing to his outs by trying to win in regulation until there are no outs left. So you don't update Torts until everything is settled in Detroit. That's just basic common sense.

So when was everything actually settled in Detroit? Again, there's a lot of conflation between when DET scored and when regulation ended. But there was some time lapse between those 2 events. For one thing, the clock had to be reviewed and reset from 0.7 to 3.3 seconds after DET goal. Then there was the normal delay of the teams changing, and lining up for the post-goal faceoff. Then the puck was dropped and the final 3.3 seconds ticked off. Only then is there something to report to Torts. That's the moment when the Philly video guy (or whomever was tasked with that unfortunate job) would have gone to the bench to attempt to convey the news to Torts. But that video guy is not going to literally interrupt Torts in the midst of live play or else he's liable to get slugged. So the video guy is going to wait for the next whistle to inform Torts of DET going to overtime. And I'm almost certain the next whistle after the end of DET regulation was the whistle acknowledging that Washington had scored the empty-netter.

And that's also exactly what Torts said happened. He explicitly said in the post-game presser that he was told about the DET result right after Washington scored. That lines up.
Bingo. We have a winner.

Reactions: ellja3

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I'm having a 2nd look at this, tiebreaker would have been crazy for PHI if they won in regulation. If PHI beat WSH in regulation, they'd both be sitting at 89pts, both would have 31 regulation wins, both would have 35 regulation or OT wins, both would have 39 total wins....PHI would have got the tiebreaker because of a SO win against WSH back in December.

Reactions: ellja3

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Caps had to win their last 3 games.

Beat Tampa
Beat Boston
Beat Philly

Nothing was "gifted" to them

April 9th - Caps v Red Wings head to head

Both teams and fanbases knew that was THEY "must win" game and the Red Wings lost w Captain Ovi netting the game winner

Also it's not like Philly just did nothing and let the Caps score unimpeded. They were trying to win like any team that pulls the goalie in the 3rd. Were Seattle trying to screw Colorado out of home ice last night when they pulled Grubauer down 4-3, or trying to win the game?

Calling the empty net being gifted the win is wild.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I'm sure others have said it (I didn't read all 17 pages of this thread), but there's a lot of sloppy talk here and elsewhere online conflating when DET scored and when Philly was eliminated. DET scoring did not eliminate Philly, and thus was not particularly relevant to Torts in the moment. The only relevant event is DET securing the point. While this may seem like a distinction without a difference given how late the DET goal came, when we're talking about judging the Flyers/Torts' conduct based on the passage of literally seconds here, the distinction matters. The DET goal could have been reviewed. And then there was some fractional chance MTL scores in the final 3.3 seconds. While there was still time on the clock in DET, no sane human charged with updating Torts about the DET game is going to come barreling down the tunnel to interrupt Tort's coaching a life-or-death game 82 in order to convey the fact that DET seemed LIKELY to have secured a point, because that has zero impact on Torts' strategy. Torts is still going to be playing to his outs by trying to win in regulation until there are no outs left. So you don't update Torts until everything is settled in Detroit. That's just basic common sense.

So when was everything actually settled in Detroit? Again, there's a lot of conflation between when DET scored and when regulation ended. But there was some time lapse between those 2 events. For one thing, the clock had to be reviewed and reset from 0.7 to 3.3 seconds after DET goal. Then there was the normal delay of the teams changing, and lining up for the post-goal faceoff. Then the puck was dropped and the final 3.3 seconds ticked off. Only then is there something to report to Torts. That's the moment when the Philly video guy (or whomever was tasked with that unfortunate job) would have gone to the bench to attempt to convey the news to Torts. But that video guy is not going to literally interrupt Torts in the midst of live play or else he's liable to get slugged. So the video guy is going to wait for the next whistle to inform Torts of DET going to overtime. And I'm almost certain the next whistle after the end of DET regulation was the whistle acknowledging that Washington had scored the empty-netter.

And that's also exactly what Torts said happened. He explicitly said in the post-game presser that he was told about the DET result right after Washington scored. That lines up.
Agreed...those going on about this would be DET fans and PIT fans. PIT fans would be watching the WSH game seeing it tied and thinking that's ok, PHI can still win in OT.....but then in the back of their head they are thinking....damn, PHI is going to pull the goalie if still tie though....that's scary, but isn't necessarily meaning much as a PHI win would be helpful if they pull out the goal and obviously getting scored on the empty net would suck.....but letting one in on the empty net isn't a forgone conclusion either.....except, in PHI situation, they would be pulling the goalie earlier than normal. While that is going through a PIT fans' head, they are also watching the DET game and are very happy up until 7 seconds to go in the game....after that, the PHI game didn't matter to them.

On to PHI and their game plan....everyone agrees pulling the goalie in that game and scoring wouldn't help PHI after seeing that DET got into OT, however, they aren't playing that game with the plan to pull the goalie if needed, except instructing someone to please get me a message ASAP if we find out that DET got a point so we can reverse course......that information simply isn't important to PHI, it's important to DET. The note above about getting the message after WSH scored, to me, was more about, don't worry about it, the win wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Reactions: BB79

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Fun fact, most arenas will display out-of-town scores on the jumbotron, and even on the rings of the upper bowl balcony!
Fun fact, most coaches only care about their own team winning and Torts couldn't give 2 dog poops about the Red Wings, Penguins and Capitals playoff hopes. The only thing on his mind was trying to win his game in regulation. Should he be distracted, constantly watching the out of town scoreboard for updates instead of coaching his own team? At the end of the day the Red Wings, Caps and Pens all played themselves into this situation. Take the L and move on.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Caps had to win their last 3 games.

Beat Tampa
Beat Boston
Beat Philly

Nothing was "gifted" to them

April 9th - Caps v Red Wings head to head

Both teams and fanbases knew that was THEY "must win" game and the Red Wings lost w Captain Ovi netting the game winner
Most of this is true.

No idea why you have to add the comment to try to paint Ovi as some heroic figure in this though. The game was 2-0 and the Wings scored with less than a second left to make it 2-1. Ovi didn't put the team on his back and score a goal in the dying moments.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How can you not comprehend what was happening? They had to win in regulation. Mind boggling stuff here.

Anyone who thinks Torts was trying to lose on purpose to screw Detroit is braindead. Why would he want the Caps to make it. He was doing what in that moment he had to do to give his team a shot.

Absolutely unbelievable use of brain power going on here.
How can you not comprehend what is being said? Mind boggling stuff.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Most of this is true.

No idea why you have to add the comment to try to paint Ovi as some heroic figure in this though. The game was 2-0 and the Wings scored with less than a second left to make it 2-1. Ovi didn't put the team on his back and score a goal in the dying moments.
Thank you for your editorial suggestion my friend.

I will try and limit the positive comments directed toward my team in the future.

edit -- aww dude youre a Red Wings fan ... stay salty I guess. have a good summer my guy

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Also it's not like Philly just did nothing and let the Caps score unimpeded. They were trying to win like any team that pulls the goalie in the 3rd. Were Seattle trying to screw Colorado out of home ice last night when they pulled Grubauer down 4-3, or trying to win the game?

Calling the empty net being gifted the win is wild.
Yeah, agree with that. This is why I bring PIT into play....the WSH game going into OT would be all they needed (assuming DET lost, which didn't happen anyway) and way higher likelihood of that game going to OT vs. WSH regulation win if the goalie isn't pulled. If the goalie isn't pulled and game goes into OT, DET still needed PHI to win in OT or SO, still sucks, but it's not likely watching them pull the goalie and losing your mind thinking all they need to do is get through those last few minutes to OT. Of course they are thinking about getting to OT and then hoping PHI scores though.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
This thread should be about the Pens not being able to squize into the finish line while spending theirs last penny to stay relevant.

Losing the last spot to a team that was selling a the tdl is what the story is about.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
This thread should be about the Pens not being able to squize into the finish line while spending theirs last penny to stay relevant.

Losing the last spot to a team that was selling a the tdl is what the story is about.
Ummm.....PIT were sellers at the TDL....not sure what point you are trying to make.

Reactions: Neil Racki

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Flyers were doing what they should be doing - focusing on doing their part which was to win in regulation.

Trying to make this a thing that it's not is just buthurt feelings over missing the post season.

Flyers, Caps, Islanders, Wings and the Pens all went through stages of absolute sucking in the last 3 weeks of the season all had it in their own hand at some point and in the end, Islanders and Caps finished of the season the strongest.
When was the Penguins' stage of sucking? They're 8-1-3 in their last 12 games.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Some of the salt from Detroit fans here is incredible. Philadelphia needed a regulation win to keep their hopes alive. I doubt Tortorella was out-of-town scoreboard watching while he was coaching (and even if he was, who’s to say the league doesn’t review the tying goal in the Detroit game and take it back 10 minutes later?). The Flyers were playing for themselves, not you.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Not on my tv screens..and I had one tv on Washington and the other on Detroit. I’m 98% Philadelphia pulled their goalie before Detroit scored

Also Detroit got the benefit of a dicey icing call with 7 seconds left.
benefit of the call lol, what about the Capitals getting the benefit from Kelly Sutherland taking away a goal from Philly? or the blatant too many men penalty that was "missed" again by Kelly Sutherland.

and also no, youre 100% wrong. The Wings scored to force overtime 3 minutes before Torterella pulled.

At the end of the day, its the NHL that dropped the ball by not staggering the starts, and delaying the start of the Flyers vs Caps game to 7:30. That would have avoided all the bulls*** that happened, and the Wings may be getting ready for their series against the Rangers.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Just remember this situation next time someone says that teams who pull their goalie in OT and get scored on should still get a loser point.
I don't understand, what do we need to remember?

Personally, I feel the rule is weird. I would want every game to finish in regulation, but if it can't, I'd want it to finish in OT. 3v3 OT is bad enough, deciding games with a SO is painful....so why punish a team trying to win in OT to avoid SO? I guess they don't want teams to win a draw, therefore get possession, then pull the goalie and go 4 v 3 for the win and fear that a lot of OT would end up going that way because teams would feel more confident with puck possession at 4v3....low risk of the other team getting the puck and scoring on empty net. I guess I get that, but 3 v 3 OT hasn't gotten bad already with everyone focusing on possession anyway and just circling and re-entering zone to set up that scoring chance....not wanting to shoot too early and have possession potentially change.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Some of the salt from Detroit fans here is incredible. Philadelphia needed a regulation win to keep their hopes alive. I doubt Tortorella was out-of-town scoreboard watching while he was coaching (and even if he was, who’s to say the league doesn’t review the tying goal in the Detroit game and take it back 10 minutes later?). The Flyers were playing for themselves, not you.
the salt? what are you talking about? We missed the playoffs because Washington was given a freebie. This is now 8 years since we've seen a playoff game. Were supposed to be cheerful and happy about it? Like it would be concerning if Wings fans and players werent salty after getting hosed like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad