Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hart - #1 goalie
Rubstov - 2nd line center
Myers - 2nd pairing right-side two-way defensemen

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Development of goaltenders is tough to predict but I'd be disappointed if Carter Hart does not at least become a journeyman NHL starter. So much talent there.

Phil Myers really impressed at the Flyers camp this season. He is close to being NHL ready. Everything about his game screams Top-4 Two Way defenseman.

Rubtsov is a wildcard. If his defensive side and faceoff skills do not improve much, he may still find himself a spot as a playmaking top-6 winger, or end up a career KHLer. If all goes well he could be a future #2 center.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Rubtsov is a wildcard. If his defensive side and faceoff skills do not improve much, he may still find himself a spot as a playmaking top-6 winger, or end up a career KHLer. If all goes well he could be a future #2 center.

This is a bit pessimistic. For his age, Rubtsov's defense is really good. If he progresses naturally, as he should, he will be fine. His faceoff ability is more of the current issue. Which I don't see why it wouldn't work itself out in time. Rubtsov is an excellent prospect imo.

FrozenSherbet

Oct 1, 2016
This is a bit pessimistic. For his age, Rubtsov's defense is really good. If he progresses naturally, as he should, he will be fine. His faceoff ability is more of the current issue. Which I don't see why it wouldn't work itself out in time. Rubtsov is an excellent prospect imo.

Especially when you consider that he's pretty young for his draft year.

Faceoff skills in general are rather difficult to project. None of us really have any idea how good he will become until he's actually in the NHL. For example, I don't think anyone could have predicted Giroux becoming one of the best faceoff men in the league. Rubstov needs time to put on muscle and gain experience at the dot.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So I guess after tonight's game we find out if Laczynski makes it or not? He needs to have a good game with that deep a forward group to compete with.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Is Rubtsov a top tier Russian prospect with high ned skill like a Kuznetsov or a Kucherov or does he slide into the lesser catetgory like a Nichuskin or even lower than that, say Namestikov or Anisimov.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
With Rubtsov his realistic ceiling is probably a ~60 pt two way centre.

Basically an ideal #2C in a perfect world on stacked team, or low end #1C on team without true #1C. Think ~Kyle Turris, Mikko Koivu, Derek Stepan, David Backes, Derick Brassard, Paul Stastny level guy in terms of impact. (not style, but overall ability/impact on NHL team)

He has everything to be a good NHLer. He is a great skater, smart, has a good shot and is defensively responsible.

Just needs to get stronger, keep developing and work of his face-offs.

Now will he reach that level? Hopefully... but probably not. If he can be a 40-50 point centre I would be very happy.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Below Kuznetsov or Kucherov, skill wise. Still early to say where he fits in with the others. He's not a flashy player. Just a highly efficient, two way player, that protects the puck well, and makes smart plays with the puck when he has it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The good thing is we know how effective Couts is even if he is producing at a sub 40 point rate. So Rubstov can be effective without points if his defensive play continues to develop.

I never gave if much thought, but lots of people are mentioning how Russian coach relies on older players more than younger guys. Good sign that he is making the team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As expected, Hart is not playing tonight.

Myers back on top pairing with Chabot.

1:05 into the game, Myers starts the breakout behind the net, joins the rush to create a 3-2 and a scoring chance, and announcers start the gushing over him.

:)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
TC on PP
Wins draw back to Myers
D to D pass to Bean
Down to Roy in the Simmonds spot by the net
Blind pass to Jost where he was sneaking in like Voracek does
Goal

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Myers goes from behind his net, end to end passes to Strome inside the blueline, who scores on a wrist shot.

Time to get excited?

Lol....forgot what thread I was posting in.....maybe we should combine this thread to the main WJC one.

Last edited:

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Myers looks really really good on the PP. Him and Ghost would be deadly on the points!

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
With Rubtsov his realistic ceiling is probably a ~60 pt two way centre.

Basically an ideal #2C in a perfect world on stacked team, or low end #1C on team without true #1C. Think ~Kyle Turris, Mikko Koivu, Derek Stepan, David Backes, Derick Brassard, Paul Stastny level guy in terms of impact. (not style, but overall ability/impact on NHL team)

He has everything to be a good NHLer. He is a great skater, smart, has a good shot and is defensively responsible.

Just needs to get stronger, keep developing and work of his face-offs.

Now will he reach that level? Hopefully... but probably not. If he can be a 40-50 point centre I would be very happy.

Perfect! If he can put up 60 points or so, that means we may finally have a number two centre. No more hyping up Couts and waiting for him to become an offensive threat. He can stick to a third line checking role against the other team's best players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad