Flyers prospect wins longest game in AHL history

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Flyers prospect G Alex Lyon just saved a mind boggling 94 of 95 shots against in a quintuple OT win against the Charlotte Checkers.

The Phantoms were stuck with 5 defencemen for nearly the entire game.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He was so-so in NHL experience this year, and is old enough that "prospect" might be a stretch, but this guy might be too good for the AHL. Watched him make 50+ saves in their 2OT series clincher against Providence 2 weeks ago. Phantoms blew a 3-0 lead in that one, but every goal against him came from a deflected point shot after prolonged opposing pressure (like NHL, like AHL, I guess). Best 3-goals-allowed game I have seen a goalie play, I think.

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Great effort. With the Phantoms now up 3-1 That may have been series winning as that's got to be deflating for Charlotte.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Didn't watch the game but heard about it/saw this morning and was amazed.
Never mind 5OT's. Stopping 94 shots in a game is remarkable. Quite a feat. It may be even more amazing that it's not even a club record for saves in a game as I understand it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
94 saves by Lyon?

Legit question, do they give these guys IV drips at intermission or something? Surely at some point some food and Gatorade just won't metabolize fast enough?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
94 saves by Lyon?

Legit question, do they give these guys IV drips at intermission or something? Surely at some point some food and Gatorade just won't metabolize fast enough?

I'm pretty sure that that's actually been done at the NHL level. Don't know if AHL teams have that kind of stuff lying around, though. But the junk food is the classic option- just get as much sugar in as you can.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Remarkably that's NOT the AHL record for saves in a game. Michael Leighton with 98 saves in 2008 (somewhat tragic irony for Flyers fans)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad