Flyers prospect watch

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Thet are not in order

John Tavares
With 25 games remaining in the season and barring any injuries, Tavares should surpass his rookie numbers in fewer games played. For the Islanders, this is a good sign for the hope, growth and possibility of a renewal for the once-dominant franchise. 56 games 23 goals 28 assists for 51 points in the worst hockey team in the NHL after the Oilers.

Taylor Hall
Taylor Hall is still being viewed as the savior for a very young Edmonton Oilers team. After only seven points in his first 16 games, Hall has found his scoring touch by registering 24 points in his last 33 contests. Unfortunately, the Oilers are still struggling as they sit in the cellar of the Northwest Division.
If Hall keeps at his current pace, he should tally between 50-55 points this season. By all standards, Taylor Hall will have a good rookie campaign. However, his Oilers will probably miss the playoffs and are few years away from being a true contender.
59 games 20 g 18 assists for 38 points with the worst hockey team in the NHL

Nino Niederreiter
After playing a couples of games with NYI . He was sent back to junior. Good size and skill. Niederreiter is well developed physically and excels in big games. Rates very high on sheer skill, determination and personality. I'm not worry about him he will be an impact player in NHL very soon. Rumors : that GM Kershaw was buying gums and Tonka's for him prior to the draft...Flyers acquire him bluffing in this year draft.
WHL 41 games 27 goals 20 assists 47 points

Marcus Kruger
Krüger is an exceptionally skilled playmaker with elite hockey sense. He likes to set up plays and find his teammates with tape-to-tape passes. Has become much stronger which has improved his game, although he still could use additional strength and muscles. Works well in all three zones and has leadership qualities. Kruger currently is playing in the Swedish Elite League where he has put up solid numbers playing with men. The downside for Kruger is that he has been playing in Europe his entire life and might not transition smoothly to the North American style. Flyers draft him in the 2nd round in 2010 HFNHL draft???? What a gamble...
SEL 46 games 6 goals 27 passes 33 points.

Martin Marincin
Size and skating ability is first-round material, and he showed it off at the WJC. However, as other scouts had intimated to me earlier this season, he also demonstrated his maddening inconsistency. Looked like a stud against Team USA.
The towering young Slovak, Marincin certainly got that last part right.He's listed at 187 pounds but there's certainly room for 25-30, even 40 pounds "more muscle" on his frame. They compare him to Alexander Edler. Central Scouting has Marincin ranked 10th among international skaters, and International Scouting has him ranked 29th overall
WHL 54 games 13 goals 37 assists for 50 points

Cal O'Reilly
Broken leg for Cal this year. The playmaking center his out since the begining of 2011....Happy new year Cal. CRAcKK!!!
NHL 38 games 6 goals 12 assists 18 points....

Drayson Bowman
Has a projectable frame and a wealth of offensive instincts. His calling card is his lethal shot, which he does not hesitate to use, and a hunger for scoring goals. Will compete for a spot next year in the Cane's.
AHL 43 games 9 g 16 A 25 points

Bobby Sanguinetti
Hip surgery for Bobby Sang. Sanguinetti is blessed with offensive gifts and knows when to jump into the play for an offensive chance. Will help The Canes in their rebulding.
AHL 19 games 2 G 7 A 9 points

Jordan Weal
Yes...I give a first round draft to get him...hmmm I might be estupido but I like to take chances. He has become a consistent offensive threat (even with out Eberle). Weal, a right-handed shooting centerman, is revered for his tenacity on the forecheck and for creating turnovers in the offensive zone. Always put good numbers at all levels. I don't know wny but I see The LA Kings trading him to the Oilers in a package to get Hemsky...
WHL 60 games 29G 46 A for 75 points.

Nick Mattson
-Another Minnesotan defenseman selected by the Hawks in the draft . Mattson had five goals and 14 assists in 51 games with Indiana this season.
-A pretty good puck mover, Mattson has decent size as well, and he will look to continue honing those skills at the University of North Dakota.
USHL 40 games 3 G 22A for 25 points

Jori Lehtera
Above all he is an adept stick handler able to move in small spaces and a gifted set-up man, combining positioning and passes to create scoring opportunities by himself if need be. Must work on the physical aspect of the game and his skating. He sign with the Blues but on loan at Yaroslav (KHL)
KHL 53 games 16G 21A for 37 points.

Scott Wedgewood (that's Dan pick)
G-Wedger has struggled lately, but that is more of an indication of the talent in front of him than anything else. After losing Tyler Seguin and others to the NHL, his Plymouth Whaler team is in a transition year and he has been able to keep them competitive despite facing tons of shots each game.
He stop 57 shots in game this year.
OHL 48games- 2.93 ave - 26 W 16L 1T 0.91% save

Matt Hackett (dan's pick)
Hackett has excellent size and combines that with solid positioning. He has a long way to go. Playing in AHL with the Aeros. Passed over in last year’s draft , Dan didn't wait and pick him. His physiology served him well in several categories and the Whaler’s regular season stats were among the best for combine goaltenders.
AHL 29 Games -2.38 AV -13W- 11L -3T - 0.915% save%

Jeff Zatkoff
Zatkoff is a goaltender with size that is extremely poised, confident and mature. What sets Zatkoff apart from many other big goaltenders is his tremendous athleticism. He's struggling in Manchester AHL this year...very poor numbers. Come Zat wake-up
AHL 32 Games -2.38 AV -13W- 12L -4T - 0.899% save%

Mikko Lehtonen
Lehtonen is big, fast and skilled. Unfortunately he is mostly just that. He has been spotted on ice as a dangerous sniper. He need to put weight on him or a weighted vest.....He's playing in SEL where he has a tremendous season. But can he bring this numbers to the NHL.....
SEL 49 games 27 goals 25 passes 52 points.

Josh Nicholls (Dan's pick)
An interesting combination of size and speed, Nicholls is a two-way forward who displays some offensive upside. He has a very good season with the Saskatoon Blades now that all the other big names are gone and more ice time for him. Should start with the Marlies next year.
WHL 59 games 28 goals 43 passes 71 points

James O'Brien
Has good size for the center position, as well as two-way upside. Also displays some offensive ability. Can play the wing, too . This is a kid who was basically disregarded by most Sens fans last season. Many considered him a bust and many not even a prospect. This year he's been call and demoted call and demotes by Sens..I took a chance and got him for a 2nd round...maybe a mistake will see.
AHL 51 games 16 goals 23 passes 39 points
NHL 4 games 0 goals 0 passes 0 points

Nate Schmidt
Dmen undrafted in NHL. Put nice numbers in USHL. Only thing I know about him is that...LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnCQUvckKA . He's in NCAA with UM (Minessota).I think he's got a great future in hockey. He had a tremendous shot and great offensive instincts.....lol I take this line from a Blog LOL
NCAA 12 games 0 goals 1 passes 1 points

Viktor Svedberg
A giant with incredible reach. 6 foot 9 inches 230Svedberg is among the very largest players in Swedish hockey today. A two-way defenseman in the Swedish junior league, but likely to develop into a more defensive minded type of player in the future. Skating and mobility is not impressive, but not as bad as someone would expect for a player of his large stature. Svedberg is going to fill out and it's likely that he'll add add about 25-30 pounds. Any prospect that can skate and brings Zdeno Chara and Tyler Myers' size is going to eventually garner interest. From the two reports that we have, Svedberg has a solid positional game, adequate stickwork, plays a physical game, and has enough hockey sense. The only concern is but a smaller rink will help Svedberg to be more effective in that area I think. He's a long shot.
Super Elite U20 26 games 4 goals 12 passes 16 points.
SEL 7 games 0 goals 0 passes 0 points.

Mark Alt
The big, smooth-skating defenseman was also a star quarterback for his high school, and a marginal Division I college football prospect.

Alt could be a sleeper now that he will dedicate all of his time to hockey. Alt, a heavily recruited quarterback, was Minnesota's High School Player of the Year in football, but recently decided to play hockey over football in college. Mark is the son of John Alt, who played 12 seasons in the NFL. Es una bestia.
NCAA 29 games 1 goals 7 passes 8 points

Players to come later

Alexander Vasyunov
Vladimir Zharkov
Riku Helenius
Max Gardiner
Joakim Andersson
Greg Pateryn
Austin Madaisky
Oskars Bartulis
Vyacheslav Buravchil
Daniil Sobchenko
Dylen Mckinlay
Dane Byers

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The "make the capitals look impatient and stupid", tour takes another stop apparently. Drew Doughty turned into John Tavares turned into Connolly, Ashton, and Dumoulin.

When I traded Tavares to you, he had 8 goals in 25 games and 6 assists for 14 points and a -19 rating.

Since, he has 15 goals and 22 assists in 31 games for 37 points and a -1 rating.

Great job Al having faith in your guy. Al Montoya is looking like he could make some noise for the Islanders too recently. You may want to include him in your prospect list.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I probably regret trading Jim O'Brien now, although the pick I received for him returned me Toni Lydman a month later, so maybe not. O'Brien's turnaround this season is impressive, but I was, and kind of still am, of the belief that his upside is still on the third line. I don't think the head and hand skills are there for more, but you can go a long way with size, skating, work ethic and a heavy shot. Hopefully that one doesn't bite me in the ass.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I think the "bust" word is ever so close to getting applied to Sanguinetti. He really hasn't progressed all that much since turning pro. The flaws that plagued him in his draft year (bone-head mistakes with the puck, needs to be more physical/agressive) have not been addressed, and at this point probably will never be addressed. It is too bad, because he has a lot of skill, but the skills that he lacks are crucial for the defense position. I always wondered if he would be better as a winger? I guess he is only 22, and still young, and they do say that dmen take longer to develop, so I guess he still could turn the ship around.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
I think the "bust" word is ever so close to getting applied to Sanguinetti. He really hasn't progressed all that much since turning pro. The flaws that plagued him in his draft year (bone-head mistakes with the puck, needs to be more physical/agressive) have not been addressed, and at this point probably will never be addressed. It is too bad, because he has a lot of skill, but the skills that he lacks are crucial for the defense position. I always wondered if he would be better as a winger? I guess he is only 22, and still young, and they do say that dmen take longer to develop, so I guess he still could turn the ship around.

Yes he got surgery this past month to his hip....this problem was bothering him alot...will see If he can turn this ship..the guy has tremendous talent...maybe a late bloomer ....or a Bust

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Sanguinetti has the most natural skill of any defender in the AHL by a wide margin in my estimation. He won fastest skater and hardest shot at the all star game down there in consecutive years. He reminds me a bit of David Tanabe, who had the same problems with lack of physicality and tools minus the toolbox type play. However, eventually those pure skills translated into really strong play. Unfortunately, he suffered a career ending concussion right at the culmination of experience and skill.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Sanguinetti has the most natural skill of any defender in the AHL by a wide margin in my estimation. He won fastest skater and hardest shot at the all star game down there in consecutive years. He reminds me a bit of David Tanabe, who had the same problems with lack of physicality and tools minus the toolbox type play. However, eventually those pure skills translated into really strong play. Unfortunately, he suffered a career ending concussion right at the culmination of experience and skill.

Sorry but Sanguinetti has no concussion ending carreer .. He has a hip surgery.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

Once upon a time Tanabe was part of my rebuild in this league. I gave up something good to get him, he teased me with end to end rushes a few times a year, and never made it above my third pairing. It's unfortunate a concussion ended his career though, because he had at least carved out a role as a third pairing guy a bit like Bret Hedican.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad