Flyers Playoff Chances

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
beating Toronto, Winnipeg and Minnesota then losing to Arizona, Colorado and Carolina in pretty much sums up the Flyers season.
They are probably going to go on a mini run on the homestand just to tease us.

Yes, it's frustrating because when they are on, skating, hitting, swarming, making nice plays, they really can beat anyone, and do. But then they blow games they have in the bag, can't win a shootout, can't kill penalties anymore, and you realize they need a few more pieces - that won't be easy to get.

That said, if the playoffs are off, let's get rid of as many expendables as possible and pick as high as possible....

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Our chances of getting McDavid are now much higher than chances of making playoffs. But ideally if we come dead last we can at least get Eichel guaranteed...

We can beat Edmonton! 8 more points!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
With those two wins a slither of playoff hope returns... not a big or very realistic chance at all, but assuming they need ~93 points to have a decent shot at making the playoffs:

26-13-2
25-12-4
24-11-6
23-10-8

would be required.

54 out of a possible 82 points. 0.659 P%.

which is 108 point pace over a season and ~50% chance of winning the Met if that pace was from the start of the year! :laugh:

But our schedule does have a lot of winnable games...

17x current Playoff teams
6x current Wildcard
18x current Non-playoff teams

But I think the 5 game stretch vs NSH, ARI, COL, CAR and NJD where they got 1/10 points condemned them... get 5/10 in an easy stretch there and the playoffs were pretty feasible. (you know, those games where Berube decided the 4th line was the 2nd line and played the 2nd and 3rd 14-16 a night and the 1st 1-2 minutes less than usual...)

I think we all know they are going to end up with ~87-90 points and therefore likely the 10-13th pick...

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
With those two wins a slither of playoff hope returns... not a big or very realistic chance at all, but assuming they need ~93 points to have a decent shot at making the playoffs:

26-13-2
25-12-4
24-11-6
23-10-8

would be required.

which is 108 point pace over a season and ~50% chance of winning the Met if that pace was from the start of the year! :laugh:

6x current Wildcard

But I think the 5 game stretch vs NSH, ARI, COL, CAR and NJD where they got 1/10 points condemned them... get 5/10 in an easy stretch there and the playoffs were pretty feasible. (you know, those games where Berube decided the 4th line was the 2nd line and played the 2nd and 3rd 14-16 a night and the 1st 1-2 minutes less than usual...)

I think we all know they are going to end up with ~87-90 points and therefore likely the 10-13th pick...

... which is really is annoying. Sucking two years in a row and rallying for a worst draft pick is worse than the '06/07 season by far.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
... which is really is annoying. Sucking two years in a row and rallying for a worst draft pick is worse than the '06/07 season by far.

The really annoying thing is that the odds are that this team will be pretty much the same one they ice next year. Nobody is taking marginal players with term so the Flyers will be stuck with Lecavalier, Umberger, and MacDonald. The Flyers could probably move one of L. Schenn and or Grossmann over the summer but I doubt both. The cap is projected to go up buy 4 mil so they could probably sign one free agent. They could work in a rookie or two on the 4th line and or one rookie defenseman if they can move some contracts, but rumor is they want to sign Shultz. So:

Coburn-Streit
Shultz-MacDonald
Grossmann/L.Schenn-rookie

Does that look any better than this years. Unless the rookie defenseman has a season like Ekblad's instead of the normal rookie struggles, I don't see much improvement.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

26-13-2
25-12-4
24-11-6
23-10-8

would be required.

6x current Wildcard

I felt the same way at the end of that New Jersey game. Knew the season was over. Nice to see it in print though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad