Flyers on streaming service?

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
Help! I live in the suburbs and have Service Electric Cable. I'm thinking of ditching cable ($190 a month) and going with streaming services (Netflix+Hulu). I have Apple TV so I have access to both and the NHL Gamecenter App. Can I watch Flyers Comcast games live on the NHL gamecenter or will they be blacked out? Ditching cable is a no brainer for me because Hulu has all the shows almost live (usually available next day after they originally air) and Netflix has all the original content so the overlap should be perfect. Only issue is Flyers and Eagles (not concerned with Phillies or Sixers). I should save $100 per month.
Advice?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
We should make a sticky thread for this or I should make a draft I can cut and paste. I've explained this a few times. Re: How to watch everything you want without cable tv, but keeping cable internet (because you're not a savage).

Okay, okay.

My setup:

Netflix
Hulu (if you can wait 1 or 2 days for a mainstream show it will likely be here, plus back episodes for awhile)
Chromecast (it's cheap, you can cast almost anything straight to tv from internet, youtube, rap battles of history, etc)
HBO (only during GoT seasons-- could eliminate if needed)
NHL G.C. (Coyote games)
HD Ant.

Football Watching:

HD Antenna - a little bit of a pain. Can be procured as cheaply as 10-20 bucks from Best Buy. Attach to TV. You have to angle it towards the HD tower. I bought a 20 mile radius version and the HD tower is 19.1 miles from my house. Simply google something like 'how far is HD ant from my house.' You'll put in your address and it'll bring up a googlesque map that'll detail how far it is. Then get a one that obviously receives signal from farther than that distance. Can be spotty in bad weather. In retrospect I would have bought a better one.

This is how you watch Eagle games, NBC, FOX, etc, in HD for free, but with commercials.

Flyers watching:

You can stream using streaming services that are prohibited (not recommended) and sketchy.

Or, you can use NHL Gamecenter Live, but that will block out local games. If you aren't local, no worries. If you live near Philadelphia, this means no Flyer games. A friend of mine pays for yearly for a VPN (re: Spotflux) a very easy to use program that identifies your ip elsewhere. It installs and runs in your background. This is actually useful protection to browse anonymously and protect your identity online... I would recommend browsing the internet with one if you use credit cards online, are Christmas shopping, anything. It allows you to port through Florida, whatever. A consequence of this is that if one wants to watch shows only available on Canadian Netflix, one can access it through a Canadian IP and view the content. This is also true of Flyer games (if you come through Florida, Panthers would be blocked out, but Flyers would not be.) It seems like something companies are working to eliminate.

It is as simple as loading spotflux, forgetting one was routing through florida, loading gcl, watching the game on tablet or computer, and chromecasting it straight to the television and it usually streams in HD -- or so I heard.

Since I do not anything sketchy, I sit in a dark closet at 7pm and use astral projection to send me to the games and hover near the club box seats.

Also, the NHL Gamecenter App sucks, so when I watch Coyote games it takes some patience, but when it all works well it is simply 3 buttons and the game is up (no rewind because they took the feature away which is rage-inducing), so you either watch it when it plays or wait until the game is over and it is available for watching later.

Last edited:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I cut the cord for a year and it wasn't bad. If you are OK with projecting PC to computer, it works fine. You can use GCL and a VPN service and it works fine. As mentioned, an HD antenna is cheap and will work great. Part of this really depends on the reception at your house. I have trouble picking up NBC and FOX at mine.

For me, I got a little tired of the hassle of hooking my computer up, etc. and I decided to go back to cable on a cheap package simply for the sports. But this was before chromecast was a thing so it's probably a lot more convenient now.

For me and a ton of people, live sports are really the only thing tying you to cable. It's a shame that the leagues are in the position they are with the cable companies and broadcasters that they need to blackout options like GCL but I don't see it changing until the cord cutting game is really a mainstream thing, maybe 15 years from now.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Just as a heads up -- GCL has a Chromecast button in the app. You just hit it to cast. I use my tablet to cast. You're right about Chromecast making it easier.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
I picked up a Chromecast a few weeks ago. Apps that are built for it work great, but for just "casting" your screen to the tv wasn't so much. I wanted to watch BL games through NBC Sports Live Extra, but when I tried it, the picture quality wasn't that great at all. Found out that Roku has a NBC Sport app, so returned the Chromecast and got that instead.
I'm envious of "cord cutters", but don't think I could ever do it. Obviously, the poster above laid out how to easily get Flyer games easily, but I'm still way too much of a surfer. Other than the 6-7 shows I watch, I'm constantly flipping around from channel to channel. Even during the Flyers, I'm going to like 3 other things during commercials.

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
I picked up a Chromecast a few weeks ago. Apps that are built for it work great, but for just "casting" your screen to the tv wasn't so much. I wanted to watch BL games through NBC Sports Live Extra, but when I tried it, the picture quality wasn't that great at all. Found out that Roku has a NBC Sport app, so returned the Chromecast and got that instead.
I'm envious of "cord cutters", but don't think I could ever do it. Obviously, the poster above laid out how to easily get Flyer games easily, but I'm still way too much of a surfer. Other than the 6-7 shows I watch, I'm constantly flipping around from channel to channel. Even during the Flyers, I'm going to like 3 other things during commercials.

I would also pick up a Amazon Fire Stick or Roku or something for non-Chromecast apps. I use it (with a friend's cable log-in) and can stream NBC Sports and Fox Sports Go in HD. It's a bit buggier than Chromecast, but since it's more like apps on the device you can get a wider range of HD streaming options, along with Amazon Prime Video if you have that.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Yeah, I also have a Roku because it has a menu and some apps stream better through it.

You can watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube, there is a huge channel list (Amazon Prime has a ton of HBO shows for free, The Wire, Rome, and so on). I already have amazon prime because I now order the majority of my non-food items (paper towels, razors, etc) on auto-renewal using prime and they just show up every few months and I never had to buy them from say, Shop Rite. Less haul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad