Flyers Off-Season Discussion: Flyers sign Dale Weise and Boyd Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Nothing wrong with a four year deal for Weise if it's 2.5 or less. That's a disposable contract with small downside risk that's easy to get out of by trade if need be. A lot like the Talbot deal. As long as AAV is small, I have no concern.

Also not seeing how it conflicts with Hextall's earlier comments. He preaches cautiousness, not total avoidance of term altogether. People seem to think when he mentions his reluctance to things like term, letting teenagers play, etc. that he's swearing off these things entirely... realistically, Hextall isn't ever categorical about making those decisions. Just that he's cautious. He has the right mindset. Lots of people seem to think categorically and assume that Hextall does too, but I don't think that right.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Eh. I dont think he is as bad as you are saying. He is easily better than White who struggled here a lot. His advanced stats were mid road on some things, bad on others and good on others. What you typically get for a 4th line player.

Hextall is paying him like a 3rd liner, so that's where I think he fits in Philly.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nothing wrong with a four year deal for Weise if it's 2.5 or less. That's a disposable contract with small downside risk that's easy to get out of by trade if need be. A lot like the Talbot deal. As long as AAV is small, I have no concern.

Also not seeing how it conflicts with Hextall's earlier comments. He preaches cautiousness, not total avoidance of term altogether. People seem to think when he mentions his reluctance to things like term, letting teenagers play, etc. that he's swearing off these things entirely... realistically, Hextall isn't ever categorical about making those decisions. Just that he's cautious. He has the right mindset. Lots of people seem to think categorically and assume that Hextall does too, but I don't think that right.

A lot of people also misconstrue the whole "I'm not bringing prospects up until they're ready" as "I'm not bringing prospects up until they've played x-amount in this league and y-amount in this league". He's not going to rush them, but when they're ready he's not going to wait around for the sake of waiting.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
When Hexy talked about being scared of term, he must have mean term at $4.5m+.

I buy the idea that Weise could be dealt with like Talbot down the road if necessary.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

We'll see the cap hit, but it conflicts with this:

“July 1 is a funny day,†Hextall said. “Now the cap, it’s somewhat flat. Might be some guys out there who are good buys, but that is not going to happen July 1. It’s usually [July] 5th or 10th or 15th when guys figure out there’s not much out there.â€

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Weise for 4 years, $2.5M cap hit per year is a poor use of cap space, IMO.

Falling in love with a "heavy" checking line player who happened to score a few clutch playoff goals when he was younger and cheaper.

Sort of like the Talbot signing, who ultimately ended up being a buyout after they managed to dump him.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Falling in love with a "heavy" checking line player who happened to score a few clutch playoff goals when he was younger and cheaper.

Sort of like the Talbot signing, who ultimately ended up being a buyout after they managed to dump him.
those players are the sandpaper that helps guys out the g. Great signing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well, Read is getting over $1m more, and has scored less at ES than Weise under his current contract.

Last two years:

Raffl - 149 games, 54 ESP
Weise - 150 games, 50 ESP
Read - 159 games, 43 ESP
VdV - 151 games, 28 ESP
White 107 games, 24 ESP
PEB - 155 games, 24 ESP

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
someone was going to get overpaid to improve the bottom 6, and Weise does that.
Unless you are ok with status quo on the 3rd and 4th line which was one of the worst bottom 6 in the league.
4 years is ok. not great but ok. a shorter deal means more $$$ per.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well, Read is getting over $1m more, and has scored less at ES than Weise under his current contract.

Last two years:

Raffl - 149 games, 54 ESP
Weise - 150 games, 50 ESP
Read - 159 games, 43 ESP
VdV - 151 games, 28 ESP
White 107 games, 24 ESP
PEB - 155 games, 24 ESP
Yep. Says all you need to know. Not a bad guy to target.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I can't say I'm thrilled with Weise as 3RW (in theory), but it's not an over-the-top bad contract. He'll help boost the 3rd-line production, and can contribute minutes in most situations.

The biggest need, however, remains getting a 3/4 centre. Fortunately, the names most covet are still in play.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's also not guaranteed that the Flyers protect Weise in the ED.

G, Voracek, Coots, Simmonds, Schenn are locks for the first 5 protected forwards.

Then we have Raffl, Weise, Cousins and Laughton for the last two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad