Flyers Now 11th in Points % in East; Tortorella Still an Infallible Genius?

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
I don't get why he's talked about as such an awesome coach. I mean he has about zero to show for it the last decade or so.

I think he's incredibly funny and entertaining, but I wouldn't want to be coached by him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
With 4.95 GAA and .811 it's starting to feel like Fedotov was not ready, and that perhaps there's more to being a goalie than height.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't get why he's talked about as such an awesome coach. I mean he has about zero to show for it the last decade or so.

I think he's incredibly funny and entertaining, but I wouldn't want to be coached by him.

I mean he made the playoffs with Columbus Blue Jackets 4 seasons in a row and even had them win a playoff round and a play-in round.

Jackets only made the playoffs 6 times since they exist and 4 of those 6 was with Torts. He is a good coach just not the type of coach that works with every roster

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I mean he made the playoffs with Columbus Blue Jackets 4 seasons in a row and even had them win a playoff round and a play-in round.

Jackets only made the playoffs 6 times since they exist and 4 of those 6 was with Torts. He is a good coach just not the type of coach that works with every roster
Winning one round is nearly as useless as not even going. Half the damn league gets in the playoffs and if your team can't get over that small hurdle the they have serious rot at the top, just like the Flyers do now. Torts is yet another symptom, not the cause. He's just the most visible symptom.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Winning one round is nearly as useless as not even going. Half the damn league gets in the playoffs and if your team can't get over that small hurdle the they have serious rot at the top, just like the Flyers do now. Torts is yet another symptom, not the cause. He's just the most visible symptom.

The Jackets are not and have never been a very well run franchise. So i consider his years in Columbus an accomplishment.

Reactions: Amorgus

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Everybody acted like Flyers would get to playoffs forgetting their annual 10 game losing streak💀

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Torts is a good coach but I think he loves his own image a little bit too much, loves his pressers a little bit too much, loves his own voice/sound-bytes a little bit too much. For someone who preaches accountability so hard (from his players) he's also really thin-skinned and defensive regarding any outside scrutiny.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
They had multiple shit streaks this year, but none of the teams behind them could take advantage. They barely can now. It’s a battle for who sucks the least.
Breaking news the teams that were behind are one on a 5 game win streak and other on 9 game point streak with 6-0-3 record by the way, hottest teams in the league

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Torts is a good coach but I think he loves his own image a little bit too much, loves his pressers a little bit too much, loves his own voice/sound-bytes a little bit too much. For someone who preaches accountability so hard (from his players) he's also really thin-skinned and defensive regarding any outside scrutiny.
He Sucks period ...............

• Haha
Reactions: PhysicalGraffiti

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
On the flip side, I'd argue that the same aspects of persona that people hate also attract a larger number of vocal supporters than are deserved. Strip away all the HARD HOCKEY MAN bravado and press conference moments and he's just another legacy coach who displays the same flaws in every gig he gets and hasn't accomplished much other than moral victories and temporary highs over the last 20 years.

Like, imagine if he was just kind of a boring, mild-mannered NHL coach with the same issues and outcomes. His teams consistently feature the worst PPs in the league; they play an unsustainable style based around chasing and shot blocking; often overperform early in seasons and collapse late; he makes a lot of really detrimental lineup decisions and manages players in odd ways. People mocked Alain Vigneault's obsession with Tanner Glass back in the day...Tortorella willingly played Nic Deslauriers in 80 games last season.

Any time a Torts thread comes up a whole bunch of fans of teams he's never coached pop up with "Love Torts, he's just what my team needs!" How many fans you see in the places he once coached going "Damn, I wish they never fired Torts"? Not too many, because those people have gone through the day-to-day grind of following his teams. It's no more magical or gratifying than a Hitchcock or Vigneault experience.

So the strong feelings in both directions seem to stem from how he holds himself publicly. Some people look at it and think there's something real there (ACCOUNTABILITY AND GRIND!) others look at it and see a lot of empty ego with repetitive results. It's like a politician or pop star dichotomy moreso than a sports figure. Problem is, he's part of a team--so when that persona wears out on the people in his locker room, it becomes just another flaw in his actual coaching work.

I'm a fan of him for the 04 Cup with the Bolts. His personality doesn't make much of a difference to me. I've generally disliked coaches who scream and yell.

He's also a really good guy away from the rink, so that makes me respect him a ton.

I've rooted for him with every team he's been on since leaving the Bolts, and that's hard to say considering he was with the Rangers and now the Flyers.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'm a fan of him for the 04 Cup with the Bolts. His personality doesn't make much of a difference to me. I've generally disliked coaches who scream and yell.

He's also a really good guy away from the rink, so that makes me respect him a ton.

I've rooted for him with every team he's been on since leaving the Bolts, and that's hard to say considering he was with the Rangers and now the Flyers.

That's cool. I bet he is a really good guy away from the rink and I highly respect the great work he does for animals. I think he also has good intentions, and like most people, is just sometimes blind to his own ticks and flaws--like when he says a thing just to say it in front of a microphone, but doesn't actually do it in his work. We all sometimes contradict ourselves or say things that sound good in our minds but are more complicated in practice.

2004 was 20 years ago and most of the players he is coaching today grew up in an entirely different world and sport. His shtick and approaches just aren't going to work with very many, if any, teams in the league anymore. It doesn't mean he's a bad coach. It means he's like every other solid NHLer, aging out eventually.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If the caps make it like this, that's one example of working smarter not harder...

1712834563202.png

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Loosing Hart, Walker and missing Coots in a huge phase was hard to compensate.
Considering this, I am not sure if Torts is here to blame (alone). And this is coming from someone who isnt the biggest Torts fan.
Whats much more frustrating to me is, that the Flyers didnt give Knoblauch a legitimate chance when he was here. Meanwhile he is rocking it with the Oilers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You can't blame the goalies for the Flyers having the league's worst PP under Torts and his bozo assistant coach, Rocky Thompson. And if you want to blame the GMs for not having enough offensive talent on the roster, ask yourself if they really have less to work with than Chicago, San anaheim, etc.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
You can't blame the goalies for the Flyers having the league's worst PP under Torts and his bozo assistant coach, Rocky Thompson. And if you want to blame the GMs for not having enough offensive talent on the roster, ask yourself if they really have less to work with than Chicago, San anaheim, etc.

I didnt and dont blame anyone soley.
In reality there probably are and have been (many) more factors that lead to the Flyers collapse than just those I mentioned. Although I do believe, that they had some significant negative impact to the team.
The Flyers pp obviously has been a factor, but definitely not the only one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad