shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Disagreed. Expecting Talbot to repeat a fluke year is unreasonable. They need forwards like Schenn and Voracek to step up much more than Talbot, though Talbot does need to play better overall.

Edit: And why did they use a picture that looks like it came from an old Razr?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If your team relies on a guy like Talbot to be a scorer then you have a lot of problems to begin with.

laundryman

Jun 28, 2011
Schenn and Voracek are the ones who need to step up. We came into this year expecting them to fill the scoring void left by Jagr and JVR. Expecting Talbot to do so is stupid

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yes Frank, we need the fourth liner to start picking up the offensive slack. Let's just keep ignoring the elephant in the room that our big prize from the Richards trade has still yet to show any consistency at the NHL level.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Schenn has been worse than JVR ever was. JVR would generally, at worst, be invisible. Schenn has been very visible in a bad way. He spends a lot of time chasing the puck like an 8 year old in NHL13.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah at this point Schenn reminds me of JVR in a lot of ways. My personal opinion is that well have another JVR type case with Schenn in a year and a half where people lose faith in his development.

SAINDON

May 9, 2012
The First State
Briere, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek need to step up their offense. They were signed to score goals and complete nice passes. Talbot is here for the intangibles he brings to the ice, not his goal scoring prowess. Talbot needs to become a better PK'er, not take stupid penalties and forecheck. If/when he scores, its a bonus.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
So out of all the players who so far has underachieved offensively, the reporter picks a guy whos main job is to prevent the other team from scoring...

Brilliant stuff!

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
These boards are always good for knee jerk reactions. Schenn is in his second year playing in the NHL, and hasn't even played a full 82 games, but we are all saying his development isn't going accordingly. Also he didn't play over seas during the lockout, so that also could answer some questions about a slow start. Patience people, JVR had three years, and besides one good playoff run, he was practically invisible(not to mention injured frequently). Schenn has what? 70 games of NHL action under his belt. Give the damn kid some time, not every player comes into the NHL and lights it up like Crosby. Look at Richards 2nd pro year...

Oh and nobody should have expected talbot to match his numbers from last year. We lost our depth, and with that comes more difficult matchups for our top lines. Last year we could roll 4 scoring lines, now we only roll basically 2. Talbot is being put into more of a defensive role than anything.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Yeah at this point Schenn reminds me of JVR in a lot of ways. My personal opinion is that well have another JVR type case with Schenn in a year and a half where people lose faith in his development.

Problem is, when JVR was off it appeared as lack of effort. With Schenn, the effort is there, but he seems to play at an AHL pace and loses the puck off his stick mysteriously, can't get the puck out of his zone, fans on shots etc. I still hope he can be the player he was in the playoffs more consistently, but he has looked completely lost out there this season.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
The vets need to step up not the sophomores. B. Schenn and Couturier not contributing offensively was/is expected and ok in my book. Looking to talbot though is stupid, you wouldn't look to fed for more offense. Jake, Briere and Giroux need to pick up the slack.

I just know in a couple yrs when Couturier and B Schenn aren't putting up 60+ pts or playing inconsistently/having injury problems fans will be complaining and calling them busts. Patience guys, it took G a while to get to where he is. He don't have superstars here just guys that will grow over time into quality players

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The vets need to step up not the sophomores. B. Schenn and Couturier not contributing offensively was/is expected and ok in my book. Looking to talbot though is stupid, you wouldn't look to fed for more offense. Jake, Briere and Giroux need to pick up the slack.

I just know in a couple yrs when Couturier and B Schenn aren't putting up 60+ pts or playing inconsistently/having injury problems fans will be complaining and calling them busts. Patience guys, it took G a while to get to where he is. He don't have superstars here just guys that will grow over time into quality players
Well, OK, but if you look at it like that, then we're ****ed. You can't look at three guys to provide all or most of the offense. I'm not saying Couturier and Schenn should be tearing it up, but I expected much more. When teams rely on a small selection of players to provide most of the offense, then those players are usually elite. Briere and Voracek are far from elite, and so are the missing Hartnell and Simmonds. Giroux is really good, but he's also nowhere near Malkin or Crosby. Or even Stamkos, for that matter. He's a bona-fide top 10 or maybe top 15 player, but he can't do it all himself. So for me it's quite reasonable to expect more from the rest of the guys if we're to do well.

edit: To put it into somewhat more concrete terms (not adjusted for a 48-game season), I fully expect Schenn to get around 50 points and Couturier also at least 40 - 45.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
These boards are always good for knee jerk reactions. Schenn is in his second year playing in the NHL, and hasn't even played a full 82 games, but we are all saying his development isn't going accordingly. Also he didn't play over seas during the lockout, so that also could answer some questions about a slow start. Patience people, JVR had three years, and besides one good playoff run, he was practically invisible(not to mention injured frequently). Schenn has what? 70 games of NHL action under his belt. Give the damn kid some time, not every player comes into the NHL and lights it up like Crosby. Look at Richards 2nd pro year...

Oh and nobody should have expected talbot to match his numbers from last year. We lost our depth, and with that comes more difficult matchups for our top lines. Last year we could roll 4 scoring lines, now we only roll basically 2. Talbot is being put into more of a defensive role than anything.

Guys with the pedigree and hype Schenn has and had are expected to produce sooner rather then later. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone fifth overall. So the fact that he doesn't look good out there and has never put up considerable NHL numbers at 21 is concerning. Couturier managed to make a bigger impact at the age of 18. Giroux showed impressive performance and almost put up 50 points around the same age. Heck the guy he's commonly compared to, Mike Richards, made a large impact at a younger age as soon as he stepped into the NHL.

Point is that the older a prospect is the more they need to prove themselves. Half the reason rookies don't perform more then they do is because they're not physically ready yet. Schenns 21 going on 22 so he doesn't have that excuse. Heck, if not having games played were as big a factor as you make it out be then Matt Read shouldn't be having the impact he is (which is more then Schenn). You only get so long to prove yourself especially with his pedigree and hype.

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
He changed his number and lost his mojo. he isn't really getting the ice time and his linemates continually keep getting changed.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
If we NEED Talbot to score points for us to succeed we are in more trouble than I thought! 3rd/4th line tweeners shouldn't be driving your offense, fluky season prior or not.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
He changed his number and lost his mojo. he isn't really getting the ice time and his linemates continually keep getting changed.
Well, that's true, but they probably keep getting changed because he's not producing, not the other way around. I mean, I understand you need a certain amount of chemistry to make the lines work, but he was touted and is expected to be a player who doesn't need a specific line to produce. I'm not throwing him under the bus yet and won't be doing so anytime soon, but I think it's perfectly fine to analyze his game fairly and point out all the warts and whatnot.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Well, OK, but if you look at it like that, then we're ****ed. You can't look at three guys to provide all or most of the offense. I'm not saying Couturier and Schenn should be tearing it up, but I expected much more. When teams rely on a small selection of players to provide most of the offense, then those players are usually elite. Briere and Voracek are far from elite, and so are the missing Hartnell and Simmonds. Giroux is really good, but he's also nowhere near Malkin or Crosby. Or even Stamkos, for that matter. He's a bona-fide top 10 or maybe top 15 player, but he can't do it all himself. So for me it's quite reasonable to expect more from the rest of the guys if we're to do well.

edit: To put it into somewhat more concrete terms (not adjusted for a 48-game season), I fully expect Schenn to get around 50 points and Couturier also at least 40 - 45.

thats unrealistic imo. i dont even know if they'll put up those numbers next season. and yes we are ****ed but in paul's defense they went into this season expecting a healthy briere, hartnell and simmonds in addition to giroux and voracek that's 5 of your top 6 right there. meaning the youngs weren't necessarily going to be relied on to provide a significant amount of offense. i'm not saying i didn't expect the sophomores to produce at all but it's called a sophomore slump for a reason.

i for one didn't really think the flyers had a true shot at the cup but i did consider them a playoff team and once the playoffs start anything is possible. but again i didn't expect them to be contenders, its a work in progress.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Aside to not be repetitive, Talbot only has 7 shots on goal through 9 games. He averaged over 1.4 last year, had a couple empty net goals, and an exaggerated shooting percentage. If he scores 5 goals (on a goaltender), the team should be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00