Flyers moving on from Mike Yeo

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Is it just me or could Kevin Weekes use a selfie stick when he's delivering breaking news? It's just odd to see someone's face always up close.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Have I got the confidence inspiring replacement lined up for you guys!

1651595810931.png

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
He definitely deserves to go.

That said, it's about time they move on from Holmgren, Fletcher, and Clarke. Every coaching, signing, and whatever else decision seems to blow up in their faces.

Can't think of a current team in a worse position going forward.
Last sentence is over the top.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Last sentence is over the top.

It really isn't. It's a franchise with no high-end prospects, little current roster talent, no identity, an increasingly-disillusioned fanbase that has stopped coming to games, no clear plan, a lot of money tied up in bad or injury-prone players, and old-boys-club leadership that has refused to relinquish power or recognize how dire they've made the situation. They're really f***ed.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It really isn't. It's a franchise with no high-end prospects, little current roster talent, no identity, an increasingly-disillusioned fanbase that has stopped coming to games, no clear plan, a lot of money tied up in bad or injury-prone players, and old-boys-club leadership that has refused to relinquish power or recognize how dire they've made the situation. They're really f***ed.
It's reminding me a lot of the Canes in the Karmanos & Rutherford years in a lot of ways minus being completely broke. Completely baffling moves giving draft capital away like drunken frat boys on spring break. No identity as a team. Staff decisions that make no sense at all. Just seemingly a place for old and former players to hang out with their buddies. It wasn't until Francis took over as GM bringing in Waddell and Tulsky to key roles that things started to turn around, and that was after burning through futile attempts to stay relevant instead of doing a rebuild that should have started 4 years before it actually did. Until the Flyers decide to do similar they're seemingly stuck, especially in this f***ing division.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's reminding me a lot of the Canes in the Karmanos & Rutherford years in a lot of ways minus being completely broke. Completely baffling moves giving draft capital away like drunken frat boys on spring break. No identity as a team. Staff decisions that make no sense at all. Just seemingly a place for old and former players to hang out with their buddies. It wasn't until Francis took over as GM bringing in Waddell and Tulsky to key roles that things started to turn around, and that was after burning through futile attempts to stay relevant instead of doing a rebuild that should have started 4 years before it actually did. Until the Flyers decide to do similar they're seemingly stuck, especially in this f***ing division.

That's the current vibe here, particularly on the roster. Fletcher and Vigneault came in and coveted, of all people, Kevin Hayes. They got him at a hefty pricetag. They then flipped Voracek for one of his buddies (Atkinson) and grabbed his best friend Yandle for no reason. Brassard was an old AV pet too. Nate Thompson--old and useless? but a locker room guy.

Just started adding a bunch of Hayes' friends/AV's preferred bodies and dumping random roster players to make room. Gostisbehere was irrelevant because they didn't know how to use him and they could get a Yandle! So they unload him + a 2nd rounder. No room for NAK because they have all this great forward depth in, uh, Thompson and Brassard, so he gets waived--and promptly finds a home on the best team in the West. Ristolainen extended. Giroux traded for beans.

The Ghost and NAK situations are really great microcosms of where they're at in terms of development and talent evaluation. Squandered one guy completely. Decided the other guy just wasn't good enough for their team (which finished in the bottom 5) while a team that finished top-2 has made perfectly good use of him.

Meanwhile players who should be good have seen their development stop in its tracks. Provorov has regressed to his rookie season. Konecny's goal scoring has evaporated (though he's getting his assists). Farabee is a different player on any given night. Meanwhile Fletcher gets up in press conferences and rambles off a list of guys who project to be third liners at best and touts them as the future.

Their leadership can't identify and develop NHL talent. That's a really bad sign, given how little of it they already have.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I admittedly don’t know much about the Flyers, but I know that I’m super glad for Philly fans this guy is gone.

Regardless of where you land on the Yandle situation, it’s hard to argue that not having Giroux out for an EN situation on his final Philly game was a sign of a coach who doesn’t have a bond with his team.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I was happy when he became coach in Philly, and am sad now that it is ending.

Maybe they'll hire Mike Johnston.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeo should never ever be allowed to coach in the NHL again. He put St. Louis in a hole when that team was clearly good enough to win the cup that season. I think the Flyers had potential to flirt with a playoff spot, but that went to the dumpster fast.

I have a weird feeling Philly might actually hire Rick Tocchet or Paul Maurice, if not probably a guy like Kevin Dineen.

Dulind

A unique encounter, with an emphasis on safety
Aug 12, 2021
GB
Never really paid attention to Philly's internal problems until that Risto trade and now, after paying closer attention to this past season, I understand.

The NHL is a better place when the Flyers are a menace in both the penalty box and box score.

I miss those Legion of Doom days.

Reactions: swimmer77

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
ay Yeo, lets go.

Never shoulda been made HC in the first place. Terrible NHL HC

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Whelp, Philly fans are not gonna like Rick Tocchet as head coach, either. Going to be some dark days before it gets brighter for the Flyers, I'm afraid.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
I think the whole league should move on from putting Yeo into any important role.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This guy is a bum so good riddance, but is the team really due to turn around under a new coach? They have some real bad eggs in management that seem to work harder to cover each other's respective smells, than they do icing a competitive team. I feel like the coach is just window dressing for the abysmal moves they made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad