Confirmed with Link: Flyers move Paddock from asst. GM to asst. coach

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
John Paddock has been moved from assistant general manager to assistant coach.

His responsibilities will be on the defensive side of the puck, Paddock said, and he’ll operate out of the press box. The move was agreed upon over the summer, but the lockout prevented Paddock from starting his new role until now.

This is what Paddock has been on the ice for the first two days of training camp.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...rom-asst-GM-to-asst?blockID=823311&feedID=704

“I’m going to be a sounding board on different things,†Paddock said. “Maybe a little bit more on the defensive side. I’ve known Lavy a long time. I coached him.

“There’s complete comfort here where communicating and him asking questions and giving [feedback]. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do.â€

“I am probably leaning a little more on the overall team defensive side of the game because the offense is Lavy’s bread and butter,†Paddock said.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Didn't see this coming. Is he replacing someone or just being added as an extra?

Since he's in the press box I assume he's an extra.

Is there a limit on number of coaches? I've never contemplated the matter, much less looked into it.

Edit: I can't find anything that indicates there's a limit on assistant coaches in my brief searching. I imagine there's a limit to how many can be on the bench?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Kevin McCarthy blows as a D coach but unforunately Lavy from the outset said he was part of the "package."

Hope he gets marginalized by Paddock somewhat...although I doubt it since Paddock will be mostly operating from "10,000 feet" like Mullen or so it seems

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I really wouldn't mind seeing Burke in here. He has the exact type of attitude this city is known for. Hard nosed, wears his heart on his sleeve, and oh yea the guy knows something about the game. Even if it's for 1 year or 2, would be a big acquisition if he would join our front office.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Though the timing is certainly interesting, we can't have Burke here. Would be too many cooks in the kitchen.

Dito, it would be more of a distraction than anything.

That being said, if we somehow need a GM I'd love Burke. He's excellent at pushing teams over the top.

And he's a good guy.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
God, no. Burke became a caricature of himself as time went on. He's nothing but a loudmouth and a distraction. Let him go elsewhere, preferably Pittsburgh :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad