Flyers Mascot

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Am I the only one who believes that the Phanatic's mannerisms were patterned after Curly Howard of the Three Stooges?

I love the Phanatic... he can work well with both kids -- who love him -- and adults. The San Diego Chicken was also top notch... but IMO was less kid friendly and more an adult Mascot... The Phanatic covered all bases, and did so fantastically. The suit lends itself to funny movements and is a great part of the show... the actions of the man inside is the rest... so clever.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Now do Boomer.

... I'll wait.

:popcorn:

What, you got something against an epileptic mascot?

5c5f073d33e29973d881c395f78333c4

You persecuting his disability!?!?!?!

Hunter looks like an outtake from The Shining, or from "Mr. Furry Meets Vixen Teacher 12."

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Hunter looks like an outtake from The Shining, or from "Mr. Furry Meets Vixen Teacher 12."
The original Carolina mascot (a pig) actually suffered a seizure during one of their games in their first season.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I remember hearing an interview with Giles or Montgomery (I think) when they were coming up with the mascot, they designed it and they offered it to him for like 5K for the rights or 3K to license it.

They thought it was ridiculous so they licensed it, he became super popular, so they had to buy the rights, which had then skyrocketed. Cost him 250K.

Here it is from Wiki

In his book Pouring Six Beers at a Time, Giles wrote of the worst decision of his life when it came to the creation of the Phanatic. The design would cost $5,200 for both the costume and the copyright ownership, or $3,900 just for the costume with Harrison/Erickson retaining the copyright. Giles chose to just buy the costume. Five years later, when Giles and his group of investors bought the team from Ruly Carpenter, the franchise paid $250,000 to Harrison/Erickson for the copyright.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

:laugh:

Honestly, I just find the concept behind Boomer to be flying in the face of the whole Mascot business.

Hunter may not be the best Mascot... and may not be acting as a proper Mascot should... but at least Hunter is cute and cuddly in design.

I'm sorry but Boomer may be a good drawn representative of the Blue Jackets... but when animated it just is destined for failure. I hate his looks... period... to actually see Boomer in action is quite disturbing, to say the least. Frankly, I'd rather go with Red Wing Octopus hanging over the glass as a Mascot than a cannon animated and used to stir up the Fans. :shakehead

... Maybe Columbus and Edmonton can work out a mutual agreement wherein Boomer can blast away Hunter... after which Hunter's family shreds apart Boomer, leaving him unusable and ready for the scrap pile.

We are blessed to not have a Mascot with the Flyers... In the shadow of the Philly Phanatic, it is a losing proposition at best.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I need a Flyers 'Slapshot' outfit in case the US ever decides to enact The Purge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad