Flyers Mascot

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Can Manning dress in it and it count towards his 16 or whatever games for expansion purposes?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Baltimore is the Orioles. We had a mascot for less than a year in the 70s

slapshot.jpg

No one liked him

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Baltimore is the Orioles. We had a mascot for less than a year in the 70s

slapshot.jpg

No one liked him

IIRC he was created after Henson created the Philly Phanatic... and it may even have been from Henson's people also; albeit probably his only clear miss... It never was accepted.

I always thought that he reminded me of Fred 'the Fog' Shero. :laugh:

My hunch is that there will never again be a Mascot... But... now without Mr. Snider to strictly shoot one down... who can say for sure. That said... no Oriole bird... Better a Jet Plane to usurp Winnipeg's guy VVV ;)

Benny.jpg

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
My fiancé is a huge Flyers and Phillies fan. And she loves the Philly Phanatic. She thinks the Flyers should have an orange version and call him the "Flyer Phanatic".

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The Philly Phanatic has transcended mascots, he's not even that anymore, he's a real life character.

The Flyers don't need a mascot, hockey isn't slow like baseball, when people go to the event, they are there to watch the team, not some fuzzy suit with a guy in it.

I even hated the thought of Dancing Shawn, I don't need some fat guy in the 200+ level dancing to get me hyped.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
MeLVin is a fun mascot for the Phantoms. He comes flying out onto the ice during intermission on a 4-wheeler doing some corkscrew spin move then shoots tshirts at the crowd. Has a gimmick where he goes into the crowd with a big bucket of popcorn, throws some at people and then dumps it all over someone.

The kids love him and he's entertaining. But I dont think the Flyers need a mascot. MeLVin is good because the Phantoms are a sub .500 team and the games can get boring or they get blown out.

meLVin.png

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The Philly Phanatic has transcended mascots, he's not even that anymore, he's a real life character.

The Flyers don't need a mascot, hockey isn't slow like baseball, when people go to the event, they are there to watch the team, not some fuzzy suit with a guy in it.

I even hated the thought of Dancing Shawn, I don't need some fat guy in the 200+ level dancing to get me hyped.

I think probably nobody alive sees Shawn as a hype man. He's just there for laughs and entertainment in between game action.

I started being annoyed when he went from just a regular fan dancing in the 200's to a guy with a mic on the jumbotron interviewing people though.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I think probably nobody alive sees Shawn as a hype man. He's just there for laughs and entertainment in between game action.

I started being annoyed when he went from just a regular fan dancing in the 200's to a guy with a mic on the jumbotron interviewing people though.

TBF, I believe that was Shawn's goal all along... and to his credit, he has IIRC worrked towards that by paying his dues in lesser venues/events and through his formal education... He has a good personality and frankly, he's done well after the rag-tag bunch that was in and out after Sean Whatshisname left for greener pastures.

The Flyers again went in-house and used a Flyers Fan rather than make a big deal out of really minor piece of the action... and one that is lessening with each Game, it seems... and then went with eye candy -- I know, I know... not PC -- with the Ice Girls/guys and co-host to assist him... a co-host who actually has a decent voice, unlike that Survivor cutie a few Seasons back who sounded like nails across a chalkboard... but I digress.......

Anyway, I agree that Shawn is by no means a hype man nor a human mascot... He is merely a likable someone to get their messages across and get off camera.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Don't hate on Shawnie he's awesome. He was nowhere near as disturbing as that 450 pound dude behind the basket at Sixers games. And speaking of Mascots I have a soft spot for Hip Hop because he looked like something you would see on a bad acid trip. He also terrified small children.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad