Rumor: Flyers interested in Dennis Rasmussen

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just like Christian Folin and Nikita Zaitsev. Penciling them into lineups is the kiss of death. :laugh:

Weren't there initial reports saying he DID sign with the Flyers though? Or was close to signing or something like that? That one wasn't really a big overreaction IIRC, just some bad info. But yeah people do this all the time with guys (or complain that we should have signed X, Y, or Z when we have no idea if they would have signed here).

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Just like Christian Folin and Nikita Zaitsev. Penciling them into lineups is the kiss of death. :laugh:
We'll have to wait one more year for Zaitsev to be UFA again. Here's an article from a month ago:

http://www.stadium.ru/news/18-04-2014-nikita-zaitsev-nachinat-kareru-v-nhl-luchshe-svobodnim-agentom

Per google translate:

4/18/2014

Nikita Zaytsev : " Developing a better career in the NHL free agent "

Defender of Moscow CSKA and Russian Nikita Zaitsev said in an interview Sportbox.ru, he plans to pursue a career overseas, when run for a contract with the "army" .

=====

- So you do not even drafted .

- Quoted very high, but before the draft long-term contract signed with the "Siberia " and the NHL did not want me to take . But after a year I'll be in a different situation . Start a free agent even better.

- So you do not leave in the summer ?

- I've got another one-year contract .

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Would be interesting to see Rasmussen come to North America, got to watch him a fair bit this year in Växjö. At the NHL level his upside would be a 3rd line centre, mostly because he lacks the explosiveness and offensive consistency to be effective in a scoring role. There were times he would be downright dominant, but there was a stretch in October/November where he completely disappeared. Heated up down the stretch, but wasn't all that noticeable against Färjestad.

But he's got good size, defensive acumen, and hustle to be an everyday NHLer. Wish he was staying in Växjö though, he's really the key piece to their rise to the top of the SHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If he's going to be an NHL player than it's worth it, because at an ELC he'll be cost-effective.

This isn't the first time his name has floated around.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Per Bill...

Very nice...high five!

*if the Flyers sign him....

* Swedish newspaper Expressen reported yesterday that the Flyers, among other teams, are scouting forward Dennis Rasmussen at the IIHF World Championships. I blogged about the team's interest in the player in late March. At the time, the Flyers had two scouts watching Rasmussen during the SHL playoff semifinals. According to the Expressen report by Mattias Ek, the Vancouver Canucks are also one of the frontrunners for Rasmussen's services.

The 23-year-old Rasmussen is a big-framed two-way forward who can play wing as well as center. His Lakers teammate, former Flyers forward Tomi Kallio, told Hockey Sverige earlier this year that he is "one hundred percent certain" that Rasmussen has what it takes to play in the NHL and will be in the NHL as soon as next season.

One of the top penalty killing forwards in the SHL, Rasmussen also ranked in the league's top 10 in scoring with 40 points (16 goals, 24 assists) while centering the top line with Kallio and Rhett Rakhshani. Rasmussen is currently playing for Team Sweden at the World Championships in Minsk, Belarus. He has dressed in two games but has played sparingly.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Wednesday-Quick-Hits/45/60042

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
... did this guy seriously just suggest Rinaldo being on the 3rd line over Raffl, Laughton, or Rasmussen?

what a joke

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
If the team doesn't get him or they do but he has to spend some time in the AHL there are guys in the system who can or probably can do well in a bottom 6 role. We know that Akeson would be okay and so would Holmstrom. On the untested list there is Noebels and Hall could be re-signed.

edit- I don't know if Holmstrom can play wing though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Great. Another big guy who lacks explosiveness. Just what this team needs more of.

Who's the best player in team history? Clarke. 5'10" 170 lbs. Who is their best player now? Giroux. 5'10" 170 lbs. Who was their best playoff player over the last decade? Briere. 5'9" 170 lbs. Who has been their best blueliner? Timonen, 5'10" 190 lbs.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
I think the Holmstrom ship has sailed.

Yeah, I don't think it is likely he'll get another shot, but if given the chance I think he could definitely play on the team. I also forgot to add Cousins could play though I recall people saying he might not be able to play the bottom six game in the NHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Great. Another big guy who lacks explosiveness. Just what this team needs more of.

Who's the best player in team history? Clarke. 5'10" 170 lbs. Who is their best player now? Giroux. 5'10" 170 lbs. Who was their best playoff player over the last decade? Briere. 5'9" 170 lbs. Who has been their best blueliner? Timonen, 5'10" 190 lbs.

He's being looked at as a bottom 6 player & isn't costing us anything to acquire in terms of assets. He can skate, play defense, play physical, & has some offensive touch. How the hell could you complain about it? :laugh:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I am all for it. Raffl isn't explosive but he came right in and has shown he can be a NHL player and an effective one. I like players with character as well as skill. It shows a lot that he has a great work ethic and cares a lot about the defensive side of the game. These are players you win with and you can never have too much character and talent in the bottom 6. Maybe he doesn't score 30 points but he could provide excellent PK/defense and provide an actual NHL 4th line with Laughton and Raffl. I keep hoping that this happens.

Most important thing is he would be cheap.

RJ8812*

words that people need to stop using to describe hockey players: explosive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad