GDT: Flyers @ Flames, December 4 @ 7:00 - The "Nuke Everything" Edition

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
For all the love BT gets, he made some real dumb moves, Brouwer, Hamonic, GlenG to name a few
Raymond, Bollig, Granlund for Shinkaruk, etc.

But meh, no GM's perfect. Every single one of them has moves they probably regret.

Thus far though, the Flames, on paper, have the deepest roster they've had in maybe a couple of decades. Treliving deserves some credit for that. But it's all being wasted with this coaching staff. No identity, no consistency; just lots of 'bad luck'.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't want want to dog pile on Hamonic because I think with an NHL coach he could be good (IMO all our defense outside Gio look bad). But I agree that we paid way too much for him at the time and especially now.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
its not worth watching anymore so i decided to shut it off. at least we were the better team and we had our chances, but we just keep shooting into the goalies. Either elliot is always in perfect position (lol) or we were shooting at his pads all game. The defensive play continue to be atrocious, i am beyond words on the dougie skate play, absolute pathetic. continuing the trend of get burned once then proceed to get burned 3-4 times right after

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Remember how we said that all we needed was average ".915" goaltending to push us out of our bubble team status? Lol. Besides, Smith has been consistently delivering above average performances but for a few games. His mileage may not be high, nevertheless it's been a mistake to ride him for a long as we have.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The considered top coaches in hockey history all have trophies since its introduction so it obviously carries some weight

I would say very little weight. Sure the top coaches have some but shouldn't they have the majority?

Mike Babcock has zero he has to be close to a top coach in league history. Bowman has 2 seems like he has been pretty decent over the years. Should he really be tied with Jacques Demers?

Orval Tessier has as many as Q, Sather and Al Arbor.

Bob Francis has more than Daryl Sutter.

I think there is enough evidence to show that it is a pretty weak judge of coaching ability.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
From what I've seen so far, Hamonic is not worth the price we paid.

I don't think Hamonic is as bad as people say but even if he was we really didn't have to pay much to get him.

Getting a solid top 4 guys is certainly worth a few maybes.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
at least bennett has been "unbusting" himself. 9pts in 12 games now? hes been consistently the best flame the last couple games

Reactions: Dack

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Remember how we said that all we needed was average ".915" goaltending to push us out of our bubble team status? Lol. Besides, Smith has been consistently delivering above average performances but for a few games. His mileage may not be high, nevertheless it's been a mistake to ride him for a long as we have.

I don't know I think his hot start has bought him a lot of leeway lately because he has been average to bad in a lot of games lately.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
If it was 5:4 i could possibly blame Smith, but you cant put more than two past Elliott? Thats weak.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If it was 5:4 i could possibly blame Smith, but you cant put more than two past Elliott? Thats weak.

It's hard to come back when you are behind every game by 3-4 goals because of "bad luck"

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
At least Jankowski and Bennett are looking good together. As they get older/more experience and find that consistency, the Flames are in a position to be a pretty deep team, at least through the first three lines.

Hathaway needs to stay up.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Three different teams.

2015-16 Flames needed average goaltending and they would have been pretty good. However they also didn't play a possession system which cost them. Ortio / Ramo did well with that team, Hiller was a mess. They were basically cursed and it was karma for waiving Paul Byron.

2016-17 Flames needed a #4 defenseman. We never quite got one but Stone did work for a little while. Were a contender, but Elliott disappeared in the playoffs and the 3rd pair was brutallllll in the playoffs. Basically they were cursed.

2017-18 Flames lack compete when playing crappy teams and are still cursed..

It's the curse of the Spulll.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Hamonic is great if you're counting in him to anchor your third pair. If you expect him to be a legitimate top 4, he's not. We paid top 4 price for him.

I don't blame Hamonic for that, but I never liked the acquisition.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Too bad, they didnt take enough long bad angle shots on Elliott tonight

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
It's hard to come back when you are behind every game by 3-4 goals because of "bad luck"

Well he held the fort for 27 mins and they didnt nothing to build some goal cushion.

When did Hamilton score his last goal? Tkachuk hasnt scored in what, a full month? What about Jagr?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Someone has to eventually be the team that loses to Philly:popcorn:
giphy.gif

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well he held the fort for 27 mins and they didnt nothing to build some goal cushion.

When did Hamilton score his last goal? Tkachuk hasnt scored in what, a full month? What about Jagr?

Yeah but Smith is also part of the problem......he didnt hold any freaking fort...that's a mirage your are seeing.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
At least Bennett had 8 shots, looks like he is getting his swagger back slowly. Janko has looked good too. They have helped each other out, hopefully, they build from this.

Reactions: Dack

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Fire our f***boi of a coach already. f*** me sideways with a cheese grater.

With our division picking up steam, we really need to stop with these chincy f***ing losses to teams we should be decimating. Flames are below .500 at home now, that is f***ing unf***ingacceptable.

f*** off Gulutzan you useless moron.

Vancouver is above us for God sake, Vancouver.

And IDGAF that we're technically only a point out of the playoffs, I have no faith in Gulutzan getting this team to show up for all the divisional games we still have. They're big games and we don't show up to big games, a good coach would get his players over that mental hurtle, not throw them under the bus post-game because you're a dogshit coach.

Silver lining, we haven't played any Vegas or San Jose games yet and both are ahead of us and still have games against Van and LA. And if, AND I MEAN IF, we win this we're looking fine. But I have no faith this season with our team showing up to play this games.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah but Smith is also part of the problem......he didnt hold any freaking fort...that's a mirage your are seeing.
Smith looks so good in his good starts (literally will steal games) that people don't see the games he drops. They point everywhere else because they've seen how good ideal Smith is/has been/can be, so the problem must be external to goaltending. He's sub-.900 save % in 8 of the last 12, but noone wants to look there.
We had the same issue in Arizona. Good Smith is amazing. Bad Smith is abysmal.
I don't hate Smith. He brings a lot of positives with his stick handling and is lights out when he's "on". But he's a head case.

Reactions: Yandover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad