Flyers finally hire Finnish scout

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Nolet and Slansky have retired that means that the only amateur scouts left since before 2013 are:

Dennis Patterson (OHL) 1983-1990, 1994-present
Mark Greig (WHL) 2007-present
Todd Hearty (QMJHL) 2008-present
Ken Hoodikoff (Russia) 2009-present
Jack McIlhargey (WHL) 2011-present

Joakim Grundberg (Sweden) 2013-present
Nick Pryor (USHL) 2013-present
Rick Pracey (OHL) 2014-present
Jan Slansky (Czech) 2018-present
Juuso Riksman (Finland) 2018-present

New guys now half of the staff. And I would guess Grundberg, Pryor and Pracey have a lot of pull...

Looking at WHL and QMJHL prospects the last few years, seems like they've gone down in quality relative to the OHL.
Meanwhile USHL is definitely on the rise.

Flyers have been heavily involved in Sweden recently, wouldn't surprise me if their success there has encouraged them to expand their efforts in Finland and Czech, whereas the KHL may be less a matter of available talent than the hassles of trying to bring that talent over.

It's not just the local scouts, since they like to bring in other scouts to review prospects recommended by local scouts, covering more areas more thoroughly involves significant expense and organizational commitment.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Brett Hextall just moved to Fargo ND and is player development guy for WHL and some college in mid west

Reactions: Rebels57

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Brett Hextall just moved to Fargo ND and is player development guy for WHL and some college in mid west

Wait...was he on the Flyers staff last season? Elite Prospects listed him as a Development Coach...assuming that means working with the Phantoms

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Wait...was he on the Flyers staff last season? Elite Prospects listed him as a Development Coach...assuming that means working with the Phantoms
Nope i saw him at several games last year and the year before . Even talked with him a couple times that's how i know he is moving to Fargo . Prospect development coach of going to prospects games watching them them discussing with them what he see's and reporting back to Philly . Probably has other responsibilities as well .

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'm going to bump up this thread since Pryor was let go today. One glaring problem that I see with the Flyers scouting under Hextall/Pryor was the absence of a Finnish scout from 2015-18. With so much talent coming out of that country, that was a real hole in the scouting program.
Actually the Flyers haven't paid the attention to Scandinavia that they should have in the past. IIRC, before Ilka Sinisalo became ill, he had the entire region to himself for a while. It was a too big of a job for one person.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No mention that the Flyers just hired Martin Gendron as an amateur scout? Formerly with the Wild.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
tenor.gif

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
This is good to know. I'm not privy enough to gauge the detriment of not having a scout there. It does seem fairly negligent to omit though. A whole lot of talent has come from there over the years. I mean think of the goalies alone.
I mean I think Finland is still top five in current nhl players. Without real research Canada and the US are one and two. I’d assume Russia and Sweden are three and four. Finland is probably five. There is the potential for some real talent there and to completely forego scouting there is an oversight of pretty egregious proportions.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I mean I think Finland is still top five in current nhl players. Without real research Canada and the US are one and two. I’d assume Russia and Sweden are three and four. Finland is probably five. There is the potential for some real talent there and to completely forego scouting there is an oversight of pretty egregious proportions.
Yeah, I assumed that they would at least send people over now and then. Maybe contact someone or other over there, but it just looks silly to not have at least one official representative for the club full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad