News Article: Flyers European Based Prospects

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Thought I would put this all here in one place! Since it is basically one article.

Anyway, my first work for Sons of Penn looks at the Flyers history with European prospects, then segues into the current pool of guys we have playing over in Europe.

Hope you enjoy.

Part 1: http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/the-flyers-european-renaissance/
Part 2: http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/european-prospect-overview-forwards-lindblom-rubtsov/
Part 3: http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/european-prospect-overview-defensemen-goaltenders/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Lindblom and Vorobyov keep playing well and developing their game, I think both players have a legitimate shot at making the Flyers next year, they have NHL size and are playing against men. The KHL is almost as physical as the NHL so the transition shouldn't be difficult, while Lindblom, at least from what I garner from Appleyard's reports, plays a NHL style game.

On the other hand, as talented as Rubtsov and Kase may be, Hextall is conservative with undersized players who need physical development, and they may both be 2-3 years away, depending how quickly they fill out. I think Hextall's concern is that if you rush a player who lacks NHL strength, they can end up with upper body injuries that could hamper their development. Yes, the AHL is physical, but not nearly as physical as the NHL because the speed isn't at the same level and it's easier to protect yourself.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If Lindblom and Vorobyov keep playing well and developing their game, I think both players have a legitimate shot at making the Flyers next year, they have NHL size and are playing against men. The KHL is almost as physical as the NHL so the transition shouldn't be difficult, while Lindblom, at least from what I garner from Appleyard's reports, plays a NHL style game.

On the other hand, as talented as Rubtsov and Kase may be, Hextall is conservative with undersized players who need physical development, and they may both be 2-3 years away, depending how quickly they fill out. I think Hextall's concern is that if you rush a player who lacks NHL strength, they can end up with upper body injuries that could hamper their development. Yes, the AHL is physical, but not nearly as physical as the NHL because the speed isn't at the same level and it's easier to protect yourself.

I think Vorobyov is spending at least another year in the KHL. But then yeh, I could see him jumping straight into a bottom six role at C if he keeps developing... he is a big, big, strong man already and plays the game 'the right way' in coach speak.

I have virtually no doubt Lindblom will play in the NHL at some point next year, be that out of camp or as call-up. He has just been so good in a very good league... and is physically dominant on the boards and round then net vs men... he will not have it as easy in NHL in those spots, but he does excel there. But most of all he has the consistency already, does not make very many bad plays and very rarely has a bad game.

I think Kase is coming to the AHL next year... should be interesting to see what he is like there. He plays an interesting game, he is skilled and creative... but pretty darn gritty for a smaller guy. He actually plays a bit like Konecny in a way... though ofc not as good! I think he actually could play 3rd line wing with his skill-set in NHL if he ever develops to be good enough to make the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad