News Article: Flyers coach turning to Rinaldo on the penalty kill

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He's not going to win EVERY ref over...

Still can't have it both ways. He either has a reputation, or he doesn't. Any time he draws a penalty, or gets a penalty, the more convenient rationale is regurgitated. He's a lot of people's personal Jerry Johnson.

I am not surprised at all about Zac being on the PK etc..........The kid is a MUCH better skater, puck handler, shot blocker, back checker etc than many on here give him credit for. If he got the minutes of others on this team i still believe he could score 15 goals or more .........He and Grossman would of been right at home on the old 70s teams and Shero would of loved them. You cannot teach HEART !

Do you still leave cookies out for Santa Claus, too? He didn't even do that in juniors.

And the 70s teams didn't have the guy who sat on the end of the bench, much in part to the rosters were smaller. Today's NHL leaves more room for players who aren't as good. You can't teach heart, this is true. You also can't teach talent.

SgtJoseph*

Still can't have it both ways. He either has a reputation, or he doesn't. Any time he draws a penalty, or gets a penalty, the more convenient rationale is regurgitated. He's a lot of people's personal Jerry Johnson.

Do you still leave cookies out for Santa Claus, too? He didn't even do that in juniors.

And the 70s teams didn't have the guy who sat on the end of the bench, much in part to the rosters were smaller. Today's NHL leaves more room for players who aren't as good. You can't teach heart, this is true. You also can't teach talent.

Exactly...........which meant that the players on the bench got more ice time which is my point about Zac . Zac is a much better player now than back in Juniors, if he got more ice time i can absolutely see him scoring goals . Look at our guys with 18 to 20 + minutes not scoring on great chances ? I like him on the 4th line by the way, his hard nosed hitting style of play fills a nice niche for that line , just saying that i am not surprised he has earned a spot on the PK, because he is steadily improving his overall game .

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly...........which meant that the players on the bench got more ice time which is my point about Zac . Zac is a much better player now than back in Juniors, if he got more ice time i can absolutely see him scoring goals . Look at our guys with 18 to 20 + minutes not scoring on great chances ? I like him on the 4th line by the way, his hard nosed hitting style of play fills a nice niche for that line , just saying that i am not surprised he has earned a spot on the PK, because he is steadily improving his overall game .

No, it meant they had better players in in less prominent roles. Especially given there was less teams is the league. If there was 30 teams in 1975, Don Saleski would be Florida Panthers' Bobby Clarke.

Rinaldo had 6 goals in 95 AHL games. He has 5 in 117 NHL games. Career shooting percentage of 5.4% and 6.1% respectively. Rinaldo might be a good goal scorer on NHL14 for you, but you don't have tangible evidence that he would be an effective player if he would be given more chances. He doesn't get those chances because he is a possession bleeder, who often is outplayed by like-competition. Only Rosehill has worse possession numbers, and he's only played in half the games, so it doesn't really count.

Which is why they're trying to make him kill penalties. So he can do something.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The less PK time for Giroux, the better.

I'm typically against this thinking.

If G is one of your best and a SH scoring threat as a bonus, why not play him there?

I'm the same way with DeSean Jackson returning punts. He's your most dangerous threat, so why not? They can handle the extra work.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm typically against this thinking.

If G is one of your best and a SH scoring threat as a bonus, why not play him there?

I'm the same way with DeSean Jackson returning punts. He's your most dangerous threat, so why not? They can handle the extra work.

This is debatable....

SgtJoseph*

No, it meant they had better players in in less prominent roles. Especially given there was less teams is the league. If there was 30 teams in 1975, Don Saleski would be Florida Panthers' Bobby Clarke.

Rinaldo had 6 goals in 95 AHL games. He has 5 in 117 NHL games. Career shooting percentage of 5.4% and 6.1% respectively. Rinaldo might be a good goal scorer on NHL14 for you, but you don't have tangible evidence that he would be an effective player if he would be given more chances. He doesn't get those chances because he is a possession bleeder, who often is outplayed by like-competition. Only Rosehill has worse possession numbers, and he's only played in half the games, so it doesn't really count.

Which is why they're trying to make him kill penalties. So he can do something.

NHL 14 ? LOL ! I am 55 yrs old my friend, i do not play any of those games . Been watching the Flyers since 1967 and i do understand fully that the league has more teams etc.......I i also recognize that Zac is a much better player than some give him credit for.
Because of his hard hitting type style he has been pretty much delegated to doing those type things which help the team and certainly have afforded him a chance to play in the NHL. Just simply stating that because of his development over the last few years i am not surprised at his being given a chance on the PK and i also would not be shocked at all if the lad punched in 15 goals if given the ice time....Will that ever happen ? probably not because of the niche he fills for our club . Not saying Zac is a sniper of any sorts . LOL

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
NHL 14 ? LOL ! I am 55 yrs old my friend, i do not play any of those games . Been watching the Flyers since 1967 and i do understand fully that the league has more teams etc.......I i also recognize that Zac is a much better player than some give him credit for.
Because of his hard hitting type style he has been pretty much delegated to doing those type things which help the team and certainly have afforded him a chance to play in the NHL. Just simply stating that because of his development over the last few years i am not surprised at his being given a chance on the PK and i also would not be shocked at all if the lad punched in 15 goals if given the ice time....Will that ever happen ? probably not because of the niche he fills for our club . Not saying Zac is a sniper of any sorts . LOL

gokimjohnsson does a lot - and can never resist the opportunity to throw around some 25 year old wisdom

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Are you saying that older people don't play video games? Not even one time with your kids? C'mon man...

You can have been watching hockey since 1867. The math doesn't support your presumptions, which is what my point is. You can learn to be a penalty killer, this is true, he had done that in juniors already, but it's taking him from being completely useless to border-line serviceable. You don't go from being a black hole of offense in juniors to an capable offensive producer in the NHL, especially when you played less than 100 AHL games (thus not getting the ice time to really develop). The only person who has ever been so adamant that this talent and production exists (aside from fans), is Rinaldo himself. Although, he doesn't use the media to beg for better linemates anymore.

gokimjohnsson does a lot - and can never resist the opportunity to throw around some 25 year old wisdom

Yeah, you guys gotta hate how often I simply regurgitate analysis done by those working with fancy stats, or the numbers themselves now. Especially how against them I was when I was 25...it's like arguing a ghost now. And Rinaldo is such an easy target for it, because they often show that he's way worse than even I think he actually is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rinaldo has got to know better than to give the refs a chance to call a cheap hooking penalty like that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Somebody just tweeted that the Flyers PK has gone down hill since the addition of Rinaldo, if that stays, he might find himself on the bench again. However I'm not even sure he's on the ice when they are scored, the guy was just mentioning it overall.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He was on the ice for the MacArthur goal in a spot he should have been in, but that's going to be the growing pains.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Not really a fan of Rinaldo on the PK. No need for it and just seems like trying to add a new dimension to a fringe player for the sake of it. Just insert Raffl into the lineup and our PK personnel is fine.

Rinaldo is a guy who is perfect for the extra forward role. It's arguable if he's even worthy of being a constant fixture on the fourth line. This comes from someone who is a big fan of Rinaldo too.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Not really a fan of Rinaldo on the PK. No need for it and just seems like trying to add a new dimension to a fringe player for the sake of it. Just insert Raffl into the lineup and our PK personnel is fine.

Rinaldo is a guy who is perfect for the extra forward role. It's arguable if he's even worthy of being a constant fixture on the fourth line. This comes from someone who is a big fan of Rinaldo too.

Raffl has played like 9 career pro games. People need to stop talking about him like he's definitely an NHLer. Nobody knows anything about him.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Raffl has played like 9 career pro games. People need to stop talking about him like he's definitely an NHLer. Nobody knows anything about him.

All I said was we could use him on the PK lol.

He's played well in other leagues and he's pretty clearly more fit for an NHL team then a guy like Rinaldo. He seems to be pretty easily more capable of PK play then Rinaldo too.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Rinaldo has been fine on the pk. He can skate and chase pucks down and he get it out. He's pretty good with his stick too.

The nhl is a long season. The more we can preserve the top players, the better in the long run. Many teams don't use their best defensive forwards ok the pk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad