News Article: Flyers coach turning to Rinaldo on the penalty kill

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Flyers coach turning to Rinaldo on the penalty kill

Flyers coach Craig Berube is gaining trust in winger Zac Rinaldo.

That was evident when Berube, for the first time this season, used Rinaldo on the penalty kill during a critical time in a game Wednesday.

"I'm excited about it," Rinaldo said, before playing a career-high on the penalty kill in Friday's game in Winnipeg. "The more responsibility, the better for me."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...h_turning_to_Rinaldo_on_the_penalty_kill.html

flyerfanish

Jun 29, 2010
"I'm more useful if I don't have a different mind-set. Just skate hard and play on the PK like it's my last shift," he said.

Shouldnt he focus less on the hitting part?
Anyway, I think its about time they try him out on the pk.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Penalty killing would certainly help his career. With maturity, he's becoming a pretty valuable fourth liner.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Penalty killing would certainly help his career. With maturity, he's becoming a pretty valuable fourth liner.

you need your 4th liners to kill penalties, and if rinaldo couldn't do it he would find himself out of a job in the future.

with hall being one of the best faceoff pk guys in the league and rinaldo pkinig i am liking our 4thline.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
you need your 4th liners to kill penalties, and if rinaldo couldn't do it he would find himself out of a job in the future.

with hall being one of the best faceoff pk guys in the league and rinaldo pkinig i am liking our 4thline.

just needs a better 3rd member on that line

RJ8812*

I remember Lavy was talking about using him on the PK before. But was it really Lavy, or was Berube, who ran the PK while Lavy was here, telling Lavy that he was going to try him out on the PK?

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Most Pk'ers have High hockey IQ's. Rinaldo doesn't strike me as that, but he has done a fairly decent job for what i've seen so far.

Hope he continues to work at it, makes me feel better about out 4th line.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I remember Lavy was talking about using him on the PK before. But was it really Lavy, or was Berube, who ran the PK while Lavy was here, telling Lavy that he was going to try him out on the PK?

Everyone talked about it, but Lappy seems to be the only one who wants to do it. Lavy was scaling back his ice time, and Berube clearly looks for reasons to not use him. Through 19 games, he's averaging the least TOI/60 in his NHL career.

Ultimately, it's what he's going to have to do to stay in the league. Just don't want to hear crying about reputation when a ref nails him to the cross while we're killing a penalty.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Everyone talked about it, but Lappy seems to be the only one who wants to do it. Lavy was scaling back his ice time, and Berube clearly looks for reasons to not use him. Through 19 games, he's averaging the least TOI/60 in his NHL career.

Ultimately, it's what he's going to have to do to stay in the league. Just don't want to hear crying about reputation when a ref nails him to the cross while we're killing a penalty.

Rinaldo was a good PKers in Jr. no reason he can't do it again. You're right, he has to be very careful.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think once he starts killing them regularly, he will gain more respect from refs and hopefully not be targeted so much.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
Other players that have the same game as him are also doing pking, so not so unusual that he is. I'm glad he is though because I think he would do a nice job with it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Makes sense. His defense is pretty solid. Some people just can't get past the fact that he's a pest. He's not gonna win a Selke or anything, but aside form when he first came in the league, I don't think I've ever been nervous with him on the ice...at least not about his defense...lack of scoring or taking a stupid penalty...that's another story...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think once he starts killing them regularly, he will gain more respect from refs and hopefully not be targeted so much.

That was supposedly already happening with the penalties he was drawing, at least until he took a penalty himself.

SgtJoseph*

I am not surprised at all about Zac being on the PK etc..........The kid is a MUCH better skater, puck handler, shot blocker, back checker etc than many on here give him credit for. If he got the minutes of others on this team i still believe he could score 15 goals or more .........He and Grossman would of been right at home on the old 70s teams and Shero would of loved them. You cannot teach HEART !

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I am not surprised at all about Zac being on the PK etc..........The kid is a MUCH better skater, puck handler, shot blocker, back checker etc than many on here give him credit for. If he got the minutes of others on this team i still believe he could score 15 goals or more .........He and Grossman would of been right at home on the old 70s teams and Shero would of loved them. You cannot teach HEART !

If Rinaldo had the ability to score 15 goals or more, then he would already get those minutes. People said the same thing about Carcillo, and look how that turned out.

SgtJoseph*

If Rinaldo had the ability to score 15 goals or more, then he would already get those minutes. People said the same thing about Carcillo, and look how that turned out.

Respectfully i disagree..........Rinaldo don't get the minutes because he is prosne to take penalties that MANY of which are reputation calls in my view. He has done a GREAT job of making the other team make penalties, and has shown much more discipline in that area..........Dave the hammer Schultz scored 20 goals back in the day. Rinaldo has a damn hard shot, and his hands are very underrated in my view. I would have liked to have seen him take the Penalty shot the other night .

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I really like Rinaldo and think he has been improving offensively over the past couple seasons.

He's a good forechecker and knows the smart play to make. Unfortunately, he is often not skilled enough to score or complete the play.

I definitely like seeing him as a second unit PKer and 4th liner and liked his chemistry and drive when Giroux was double shifting on his line

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Not that I disagree with you on Rinaldo, but Carcillo really isn't a good example. He has a 12 and 13 goal season under his belt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad