Proposal: Flyers & Bruins

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
:bruins: Shayne Gostisbehere + 2018 1st Or 2019 Bostons choice

Acquire

:flyers: David Pastrnak

Boston could use a nice young Defense man

Flyers have a surplus of young defense man that look pretty promising so i think they can afford to trade one for some major forward help.

Pastrnak would steller on Claude Giroux wing

Didn't see there was allready a flyers boston thread on David Pastrnak MY APOLOGIZES

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Flyers overpay big time. I'm not sure why we are including a 1st. No, thanks. We'll keep Ghost.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Love Gostisbehere and wanted him so bad after seeing him in college.

Unfortunately, the Bruins are pretty set on their right side for the future with McAvoy/Carlo in the top 4, and ultimately his skill-set is fairly redundant with Krug on the team anyways. They can't really afford to move their only good RW for anything less than a legit #1D, even if they end up having to add.

FWIW I don't think that's enough value anyways. I think Krug is the better player between the two, but even if you consider them as equals, there's no way I'd move Pastrnak for Krug + 1st. Especially once you factor in the addition of Pastrnak + Elliot + progression by Konecny/Provorov and maybe Patrick's impact, there's a real good chance neither of those are even lottery picks. I'm not sure value-wise adding even both picks get you there.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Love Gostisbehere and wanted him so bad after seeing him in college.

Unfortunately, the Bruins are pretty set on their right side for the future with McAvoy/Carlo in the top 4, and ultimately his skill-set is fairly redundant with Krug on the team anyways. They can't really afford to move their only good RW for anything less than a legit #1D, even if they end up having to add.

FWIW I don't think that's enough value anyways. I think Krug is the better player between the two, but even if you consider them as equals, there's no way I'd move Pastrnak for Krug + 1st. Especially once you factor in the addition of Pastrnak + Elliot + progression by Konecny/Provorov and maybe Patrick's impact, there's a real good chance neither of those are even lottery picks. I'm not sure value-wise adding even both picks get you there.

And elite wingers don't return #1 Dmen anymore (see: Hall for Larsson), so with the rest of your post in mind I just dont see any trade happening here that benefits both teams.

sharksisles4

Aug 15, 2017
Bruins already have something similar in Krug.

IMO neither side would do this. PHI finally has that defensive depth they've been looking for all these years.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
usually when both teams decline its a good trade says the hockey world Torts "When both teams feel like they lost and feel like the other team got the better deal , its a good trade" Lol

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
usually when both teams decline its a good trade says the hockey world Torts "When both teams feel like they lost and feel like the other team got the better deal , its a good trade" Lol

That works for value. The Bruins wouldn't trade a winger for a d man, they don't need a d man.

Your proposal doesn't even sniff the position needs of the Bruins.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
that would be a steal for flyers even given Ghost's friendly contract..flyers dont need to stack the pipeline much more trading ghost and a 1st for Pasta gets them closer to contention

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
that would be a steal for flyers even given Ghost's friendly contract..flyers dont need to stack the pipeline much more trading ghost and a 1st for Pasta gets them closer to contention

If you operate under the assumption that our prospects will all pan out, sure. But we dont have the privilege of using the crystal ball, so I wouldn't make this move. If we make this and the prospects dont turn out as intended, it takes us evern further from contention, as we'd be trading one of our only 3 top 4 defenseman for a RW, which is already a position of strength (Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny are all RW).

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I wish we could sticky this. Thanks for understanding.

Yes, it should be stickied.

Hextall has molded the Flyers' D pipeline much like Shero has molded the Devils' forward pool. Gostisbehere can't be moved until Sanheim/Myers/Morin/Hagg excel at the NHL level, just like, say, Zacha can't be moved until Hischier/McLeod/Quenneville succeed in the bigs.

Both teams have a promising young surplus, but that surplus isn't proven yet. Trading from the stock today is an unwise gamble. Slow and steady wins the race.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
If you operate under the assumption that our prospects will all pan out, sure. But we dont have the privilege of using the crystal ball, so I wouldn't make this move. If we make this and the prospects dont turn out as intended, it takes us evern further from contention, as we'd be trading one of our only 3 top 4 defenseman for a RW, which is already a position of strength (Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny are all RW).

all very fair points, in other threads i had mentioned how moving Ghost would be ideal in 2 years when he bounces back like we know he will and some of the aforementioned guys prove their worth but if Pasta was readily available in front of me i would be inclined to take it and run. Maybe TK could try LW and if not maybe you look at trading a RW on the roster...not very often a 21 year old 70 point player is dangled out there (if the reports are true)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
all very fair points, in other threads i had mentioned how moving Ghost would be ideal in 2 years when he bounces back like we know he will and some of the aforementioned guys prove their worth but if Pasta was readily available in front of me i would be inclined to take it and run. Maybe TK could try LW and if not maybe you look at trading a RW on the roster...not very often a 21 year old 70 point player is dangled out there (if the reports are true)

Konecny is already playing off-wing, which means acquiring another RW is less than ideal. Pasta is an improvement over at least 2 of the 3, so im not saying it cant be done. But theres also the issue of Salary cap to consider as well. If Pasta wants 7, that means Him, G and Vora combine for like 23 mil. Given our youth, its manageable, but far from ideal.

I'd explore the idea, and while i wouldn't stop following the team if they moved Ghost for Pasta (assuming they have a Simmonds trade lined up after (Spitballing: Vatanen+(?)), It seems like it would necessitate a lot of 'additional' moves to re-balance the roster.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think the Bruins would be insane to move Pastrnak for anything but a huge overpayment. He scored 70 points as a 20 year old for god's sake.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
And elite wingers don't return #1 Dmen anymore (see: Hall for Larsson), so with the rest of your post in mind I just dont see any trade happening here that benefits both teams.

I odd trade does not make it a trend to expect to carry on forever.

I think the OP is on the right track for fair value. Ghost and a 1st is close in value. Whether it address the Bruins needs is another issue.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Boston doesn't have a need for a defensemen with ghosts profile. Krug is very similar to him and it's not common a team carries 2 mostly offensive and undersized guys. They'd need a dman more polished defensively left shot with strong skating and size

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I odd trade does not make it a trend to expect to carry on forever.

I think the OP is on the right track for fair value. Ghost and a 1st is close in value. Whether it address the Bruins needs is another issue.

I don't see how Ghost + 1st is close value. Looking at what dmen signed for this offseason and what Ghost is signed for has to come into play.

Obviously, the Flyers have to add a plus but a 1st seems steep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad