Flyers' AHL affiliate struggling with many top players injured or playing in NHL

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
brandon_manning_lehigh_valley_110714.jpg

Photo: Defenseman Brandon Manning is the top scorer for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms this season, with 20 points through 26 games. (courtesy of Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire)

After moving from their home of Adirondack, the Phantoms are now underway in their first season in Allentown, Pennsylvania, at the PPL Center. But the Philadelphia FlyersAHL affiliate has struggled, and many of the team’s top players have spent time at the NHL level.

That included Shayne Gostisbehere, who suffered an ACL tear in early November after he was called up by the Flyers. Scott Laughton, the organization’s Philadelphia’s prospect, has not played in Lehigh Valley since November 15th.… read more

The post AHL affiliate for Philadelphia Flyers struggling with many top players injured or playing in NHL appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I read the whole article and enjoyed the player breakdowns.

But I think "struggling" is a bit harsh. Their record (13-10-4) is not that bad.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah how is 13-10-4 struggling? Especially considering the time Blair Jones spent as a healthy scratch for the Flyers, Laughtons call-up, and Gostisbeheres injury. When Ryan White is healthy, they will also be adding either him or VandeVelde back to their lineup. I expect them to have an even better second half.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Yeah struggling was the wrong word for the article for sure. the phantoms are only a point out of playoffs.That's really good considering their best center and defenseman are not on the team. Also in the games I've seen, they definitely don't look to be struggling. They looked competitive every time I've watched. And they only have 2 losses by more than 2 goals and about 50% of the two goal losses came on empty nets. This team has a decent shot at playoffs imo they are a real hard working group.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What happened to Alderson and why was he sent to Reading?

He was one of the better wingers in camp and appeared to be a lock.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What happened to Alderson and why was he sent to Reading?

He was one of the better wingers in camp and appeared to be a lock.

Zack Stortini happened and he didn't do much with his decreased ice time.

He has some really good tools to work with but it took him 5 years in the OHL to put it together. It will probably take him a couple more years in the AHL if he's ever going to become a player.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
They do miss Ghost a lot, though.

Missing Alt also hasn't helped. They ended up relying on a 19 year old to carry heavy minutes for them. Not that Hagg played poorly, but asking a 19 year old to be the team's lead defender might have been a bit too much for him to chew. I'm actually looking forward to the new year when Ghost is back, Alt is back up to speed and Hagg comes back from the WJC with renewed enthusiasm (he really wants to win that Gold medal and while Sweden might not be able to do it, I think he's going to have one hell of a tournament and that should go a long way when it comes to his confidence). This could be that one club that if they get into the playoffs, nobody will want to face them.

Oh, and I don't think enough can be said for the Zepp/Stolarz combo. They've won games for the team that the team had no business winning.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
brandon_manning_lehigh_valley_110714.jpg

Photo: Defenseman Brandon Manning is the top scorer for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms this season, with 20 points through 26 games. (courtesy of Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire)

After moving from their home of Adirondack, the Phantoms are now underway in their first season in Allentown, Pennsylvania, at the PPL Center. But the Philadelphia FlyersAHL affiliate has struggled, and many of the team’s top players have spent time at the NHL level.

That included Shayne Gostisbehere, who suffered an ACL tear in early November after he was called up by the Flyers. Scott Laughton, the organization’s Philadelphia’s prospect, has not played in Lehigh Valley since November 15th.… read more

The post AHL affiliate for Philadelphia Flyers struggling with many top players injured or playing in NHL appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

I can't take that article too seriously when there are so many grammatical errors. To me it reads just like any other schmuck (including myself) on here writing a blog about the status of the Phantoms.

That said, I do appreciate the updates as I don't get to follow the team where I am. Its a bummer because I used to live in Lehigh Valley.

Interesting regarding Manning leading the Phantoms in points (20).

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Really hope the injury doesn't effect his long term growth/development.

ACL injuries are nothing like they used to be. The arthroscopic procedure has been the big game changer in that they no longer need to cut down the front of the knee and peel it back to repair it is what saves the knee. Gostisbehere will probably come back better than ever.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
ACL injuries are nothing like they used to be. The arthroscopic procedure has been the big game changer in that they no longer need to cut down the front of the knee and peel it back to repair it is what saves the knee. Gostisbehere will probably come back better than ever.

Add to that, Rehab processes have also advanced significantly. When I played (not NHL obviously), I got a "can opener" going into the boards and dislocated my shoulder. 6 months of rehab and I came back stronger than ever. Truthfully, it actually opened my eyes / educated me to fitness / excercise process. So not only did I come back with a better shoulder, but a better overall body that could endure the rigors of competitive hockey over the long haul.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly

Thanks for the info BCF, not really up to date on surgical processes and such lol.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Add to that, Rehab processes have also advanced significantly. When I played (not NHL obviously), I got a "can opener" going into the boards and dislocated my shoulder. 6 months of rehab and I came back stronger than ever. Truthfully, it actually opened my eyes / educated me to fitness / excercise process. So not only did I come back with a better shoulder, but a better overall body that could endure the rigors of competitive hockey over the long haul.

Hyperbaric chambers are also something that have helped improve the healing process as well. You're right though about rehab - it's come milleniums ahead of where it used to be even back as recent as 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad