Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
2/3s of the LAKs have been toiling between meh to not good for a while now. Iafallo is getting his daily cardio in, not doing much else. & same could be said for Kupari when he isn't participating in popcorn wars in the pressbox.

supposed depth could show up any point please....

or atleast keep PP practice mandatory :laugh:
I think 3/3 LA kings toiling for awhile. 13 has been MIA for a long time now. Take out that awesome 5 game stretch in December and he has not done anything.

Reactions: GNP

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It's really unexplainable how dry this team is right now. No secondary scoring, no D scoring. On the bright side, we absolutely outplayed philly for most of the 2nd and 3rd. Breakaways, 2 on 1s, missed chances; easily could've had 3 in the third alone.

Big game tomorrow. Good teams bounce back. All the best teams have a funk, hopefully this is our worst one.

I'd consider putting Nino on the 2nd with Mohahan and Vilardi.

Morrissey is struggling offensively but he's not alone. Schmidt being decent but having zero offense isn't helping.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would never trade Connor. This is a guy who put up what 47 goals for us a couple of years ago and was our leading point man last year. These types of players don't grow on trees so unless the return is something amazing I keep him.

Which is exactly why you trade him. The return would be very large.

I thought I saw some signs of life late in the third period but geez.:facepalm:

Score effects.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'd like to see the Jets go with what worked before. They should have Ehlers on that top line, and drop Connor to the 2nd line, and see if that works. When something is successful I don't know why Bowness doesn't stay with it ?
It's because he needs his two line drivers on separate lines (55 / 27) - and he needs the supporting cast (13/91/81/23) to score some goals with the support of those drivers.
IMO, that's how you build lines which is not necessarily stacking all your best players on one line and let the rest of them figure it out.

Bones might try something like that to jumpstart the whole team (because they might need it) - IMO, that would make sense - but that doesn't mean you stay with it.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's kind of unfair.

He's a typical scoring winner in the sense that he isn't a defensive demon, but he's been much better this season and he is pretty good at stripping pucks.

Why don't we criticize snerg for being an offensive black hole? He just breaks up plays, he's an offensive liability.

Different players have different strengths and skillsets. Its up to the coaching staff to put these players in positions to excel at their strengths and mitigate their weaknesses.

A well balanced team has a variety of these players and they work in concert to win games.

That's ridiculous.

Sure - but you don't just say it doesn't matter that this guy is all O, no D, or that guy is all D, no O. You need to look at the net effect the player has on the ice. When KC is scoring he is an asset but when he goes too cold for too long he is a liability.

In fairness, KC has been less bad defensively this year.

I don't think we can say the opposite for Snerg. His D pretty consistently outweighs his lack of O. It would be by a wider margin if he could dial up the O a little.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
It's really unexplainable how dry this team is right now. No secondary scoring, no D scoring. On the bright side, we absolutely outplayed philly for most of the 2nd and 3rd. Breakaways, 2 on 1s, missed chances; easily could've had 3 in the third alone.

Big game tomorrow. Good teams bounce back. All the best teams have a funk, hopefully this is our worst one.

Morrissey is struggling offensively but he's not alone. Schmidt being decent but having zero offense isn't helping.
Nino has 3 points since Jan 1st and no goals in that time. That’s 14 games, he has been as dry or more than anyone.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

and where do you have Perfetti going? i really don't see him fitting stylistically as all w/ Lowry.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Five game losing streaks, even by very good teams, are extremely common in the NHL. Over the past 2 seasons, Dallas, Vegas, LA, Colorado, Tampa Bay and many others have lost 5+ games in a row.
I am not aware of any good study that has been able to dissect exactly why this happens, but it's likely some combination of randomness (bad luck), injuries and loss of confidence feeding on itself.

The Jets will play themselves out of this, sooner than later. In the interim, there is now ample evidence to support moving Connor away from the Scheifele line and to get a better PP coach. Monahan is a value-add despite the bad timing, and I'd love to get Heinola into the lineup and PP2. Other than that, it's just a matter of time--the team is skilled and the dressing room is stronger than last season's. The one saving grace, while the hockey is bad, is that the GDTs and PGTs are as entertaining as ever, if not more so... :popcorn:

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sure - but you don't just say it doesn't matter that this guy is all O, no D, or that guy is all D, no O. You need to look at the net effect the player has on the ice. When KC is scoring he is an asset but when he goes too cold for too long he is a liability.

In fairness, KC has been less bad defensively this year.

I don't think we can say the opposite for Snerg. His D pretty consistently outweighs his lack of O. It would be by a wider margin if he could dial up the O a little.
True, but Connor, outside of last year and the past few games is a model of offensive consistency.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's because he needs his two line drivers on separate lines (55 / 27) - and he needs the supporting cast (13/91/81/23) to score some goals with the support of those drivers.
IMO, that's how you build lines which is not necessarily stacking all your best players on one line and let the rest of them figure it out.

Bones might try something like that to jumpstart the whole team (because they might need it) - IMO, that would make sense - but that doesn't mean you stay with it.
Good post,and I agree with some of it,that you can't stack all your best players on one line. The period of Nov/30 /2023 to Jan 13/24
Ehlers had 18 points, tied for 2nd overall in NHL points,and tied with McDavid, Barzal and 3 others. Only 2 players had more, being Mackinnon, and Petterson.(19) That says a "lot" so you have to use Ehlers properly, as he makes the team go. ( See my post #177 to verify this.)

In my opinion there are 3 players that can drive a line on the Jets, and they are Scheifele, Ehlers and Namestikov. Only bad thing about Names, is he can skate the puck in, but can't really finish and score. He can set up other guys very nicely though. He's fast, and a very smooth operator.

If we had such huge success with Connor out, and Ehlers on the 1st line, and were beating teams like Colorado ( 2 times) and Boston, and Florida, and these line combos were working great, and you shouldn't change them, until they struggle. It doesn't make sense to mess with them. I just don't understand it ? Just look at what's happening.

So,this is what I'd do -- change it up like it was, with Ehlers on the 1st line, drop Connor to the 2nd line, and put Names on the 2nd line, to drive the play for offensive zone entries. I'd like to see how it works. So, you'd have Connor, Namestikov and Monahan on the 2nd line.

Also it looks like Villardi is really struggling, so I'd drop him to the 4 th line, and put either Iafallo or Perfetti on the 1st line, and see how things go. As for Connor, he's a much needed goal scorer, but he is a lightweight, and pretty much a pure goal scorer, but he does light the lamp, and having him on the second line would work fine.

In summary, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I do agree with your perspective that you can't stack all your best players on one line, but right now, the Jets are very flat, and it's time for some line changes, and leave them for some time, so they get used to each other.

The power play needs to be fixed, and many are saying the Coach should be fired ?They could well be right, because their not doing nothing with the man advantage right now. I'd also always have Ehlers and Morrissey on Power Play 1, both playing the point. Both have hard accurate slap shots. For some reason I don't believe the Coaches see the full value in a player like Ehlers, who's one of the fastest and best wingers in the NHL. He should be used properly.
Also on powerplay # 1, Scheifele should be playing the bumper position as he's a great scorer, with over 40 goals last year. You can have Monahan playing the bumper position on power play # 2. Remember how effective Scheifele was playing the bumper position ( slot) and Wheeler setting him up from the half boards. This is what we should be doing in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think it’s largely a myth that this place is full of a bunch of people with hate boners who only come out after Jets losses but I’m willing to entertain arguments to the contrary.
You can look at posters posting history in their profile and pick them out really easily.

That's how I build my ignore list lol.

Ps I think it's absolutely wild that people are bashing Connor on a team where we have a top 6 full of players who don't consistently produce.

Connors not perfect but damn he can be fun to watch and he fills the net with historically great consistency. I'd really hate to see him go.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Good post,and I agree with some of it,that you can't stack all your best players on one line. The period of Nov/30 /2023 to Jan 13/24
Ehlers had 18 points, tied for 2nd overall in NHL points,and tied with McDavid, Barzal and 3 others. Only 2 players had more, being Mackinnon, and Petterson.(19) That says a "lot" so you have to use Ehlers properly, as he makes the team go. ( See my post #177 to verify this.)

In my opinion there are 3 players that can drive a line on the Jets, and they are Scheifele, Ehlers and Namestikov. Only bad thing about Names, is he can skate the puck in, but can't really finish and score. He can set up other guys very nicely though. He's fast, and a very smooth operator.

If we had such huge success with Connor out, and Ehlers on the 1st line, and were beating teams like Colorado ( 2 times) and Boston, and Florida, and these line combos were working great, and you shouldn't change them, until they struggle. It doesn't make sense to mess with them. I just don't understand it ? Just look at what's happening.

So,this is what I'd do -- change it up like it was, with Ehlers on the 1st line, drop Connor to the 2nd line, and put Names on the 2nd line, to drive the play for offensive zone entries. I'd like to see how it works. So, you'd have Connor, Namestikov and Monahan on the 2nd line.

Also it looks like Villardi is really struggling, so I'd drop him to the 4 th line, and put either Iafallo or Perfetti on the 1st line, and see how things go. As for Connor, he's a much needed goal scorer, but he is a lightweight, and pretty much a pure goal scorer, but he does light the lamp, and having him on the second line would work fine.

In summary, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I do agree with your perspective that you can't stack all your best players on one line, but right now, the Jets are very flat, and it's time for some line changes, and leave them for some time, so they get used to each other.

The power play needs to be fixed, and many are saying the Coach should be fired ?They could well be right, because their not doing nothing with the man advantage right now. I'd also always have Ehlers and Morrissey on Power Play 1, both playing the point. Both have hard accurate slap shots. For some reason I don't believe the Coaches see the full value in a player like Ehlers, who's one of the fastest and best wingers in the NHL. He should be used properly.
Also on powerplay # 1, Scheifele should be playing the bumper position as he's a great scorer, with over 40 goals last year. You can have Monahan playing the bumper position on power play # 2. Remember how effective Scheifele was playing the bumper position ( slot) and Wheeler setting him up from the half boards. This is what we should be doing in my opinion.
That's a lot of changes - I admire your ambition ;)

Moving Perfetti and Vilardi out of the top 6 won't happen - I don't see Bone stirring things up to that extent.
At best, I see him working to spark 55/81 - and Ehlers might be the catalyst -

If you've been listening to Bones post game recently, he does not sound concerned.
He knows they are not scoring but he also feels they are getting their chances (81 had 6 shots in the Pens game - out of a total of 21) - so if the issue is finish, do you really need to make a lot of line changes?

PP is another story - if they could get that going, we probably are not having this discussion (or on a losing streak).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
You can look at posters posting history in their profile and pick them out really easily.

That's how I build my ignore list lol.

Ps I think it's absolutely wild that people are bashing Connor on a team where we have a top 6 full of players who don't consistently produce.

Connors not perfect but damn he can be fun to watch and he fills the net with historically great consistency. I'd really hate to see him go.
I haven’t used the ignore function on anyone here but I don’t it too bad. Maybe my brain just ignores them. :laugh:

Makes no sense to me to get rid of Connor though when we already can’t score any goals.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I want to see Perfetti with Scheif.
The scoring problems are not found in individual players or combinations. We can break our slump next game by simply playing our game. Don't even think about scoring, just check and back check their asses off first, and secondly play at high speed, and thirdly scores goals accidently on turnovers generated by the aforementioned......like you did before. That's how the system rewards us and that is what has been missing lately..........primarily skating and hustling. Maybe we need to insert some of our fast guys to set the pace. There is no excuse for lack of speed now, everyone is relatively healthy and rested. Yeah team...Go Jets Go!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Year to year, yes. But he has always been a little streaky, as most goal scorers are.
I just remember how shocking it was last year when our offense dried up and Connor was just as snakebit as the rest. He wasn't even creating which was really surprising to me.

To that point I couldn't remember a significant stretch where he looked impotent like that.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
This Jets season looks eerily similar to last year and their play these last 3-4 weeks is similar to the shambles of the past 3 years. They are not playing aggressive in the neutral zone. Their forecheck has stopped moving. Powerplay is atrocious. First period play pathetic. They are not engaged in the system, playing a half step slower than their opponents, hands are too tight on their sticks, they are thinking way too much and trying to be "creative" when they ought to just crash the net and just bloody shoot the puck! Attack the net and create chances instead of shooting from the perimeter. They are playing scared and it shows. They're a mess of head cases. Mentally, this team is just too damn fragile and they have shown this the past three years. This team is becoming coach killers. They better figure this out.
Now do teams figure out bones system or do the players start cheating or do we take our forecheckers for granted and they can't keep pace

Reactions: Adam da bomb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino