Post-Game Talk: Flyers 3 at Coyotes 4 (OT) | Oct. 15, 2016 | Regular Season Game 2

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Flyers overall have dominated 5v5 play, which is what you want. Their PK has been terrific as well. Right now it a winning formula. Need to sustain it. Thankfully MDZ & Gudas are terrific PKers and 5v5 players as well, so should just get better.

The power play is not working.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Top 6 5v5 Corsi over the 2 games:

61.4% -- 54.4% -- 56.5%
56.1% -- 52.1% -- 51.3%

Ghost: 53.2%
Provorov: 55.8%

I wish someone would take the time to explain Corsi to me as if you were explaining it to a five-year-old kid. I'm not joking. I've tried all the web explanations and I'm just too right-brained and/or lame-brained to get it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wish someone would take the time to explain Corsi to me as if you were explaining it to a five-year-old kid. I'm not joking. I've tried all the web explanations and I'm just too right-brained and/or lame-brained to get it.

At 5v5, if my team takes a shot I get +1 (1-0), then if the opponent takes a shot then they get a +1 (which then becomes 1-1).

So if my team takes 10 shots and my opponent takes 6, the shot differential is 10-6. Then you see what percentage of the total shots (in this case 10+6=16) your team took while you were on the ice. So 10 (my shots) divided by 16 (total shots) is 0.625 which means that I had a CORSI of 62.5% for that game.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

In a nutshell, the Corsi Number is the shot differential while a player was on the ice. This includes not just goals and shots on goal, but also shots that miss the net, and in some formulations, blocked shots. In other words, it's the differential in the total number of shots directed at the net.

How's that?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
In more of a nutshell, the higher the corsi the better your chances are of the team not even coming to close to giving up a goal and scoring a goal.

Like 100% corsi means that a player/line didn't give up any shots and took all the shots when they were on the ice. Pretty much impossible to lose that way.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
At 5v5, if my team takes a shot I get +1 (1-0), then if the opponent takes a shot then they get a +1 (which then becomes 1-1).

So if my team takes 10 shots and my opponent takes 6, the shot differential is 10-6. Then you see what percentage of the total shots (in this case 10+6=16) your team took while you were on the ice. So 10 (my shots) divided by 16 (total shots) is 0.625 which means that I had a CORSI of 62.5% for that game.

In a nutshell, the Corsi Number is the shot differential while a player was on the ice. This includes not just goals and shots on goal, but also shots that miss the net, and in some formulations, blocked shots. In other words, it's the differential in the total number of shots directed at the net.

How's that?

In more of a nutshell, the higher the corsi the better your chances are of the team not even coming to close to giving up a goal and scoring a goal.

Like 100% corsi means that a player/line didn't give up any shots and took all the shots when they were on the ice. Pretty much impossible to lose that way.

That is good knowledge, friends, and spoken in a language my pea brain can understand. I thank you kindly :handclap:

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
i didnt follow the game thread and I am sure it's been discussed, the ref not being in position to see the puck go by smith and his shimmy to move the puck back under.

The flyer saw the puck over the line where he was near the upper back of the net.

Sad, sad that the camera didn't catch it.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That's just the scratch of the surface...there is corsi relatives...there are zone deployments...there are fenwicks....It gets deep man.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I like Jake and all but he cant just go and start whining to the ref throwing his hands up to the ref when the play is still going. especially in the defensive zone.
Yes it was a brutal bad call but he needs to wait until play has stopped or the game is over.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I mostly read here but I have to say thanks for 5 year old corsi explanation. I don't want to make a separate thread, so if anyone would be kind enough to do a 5 year old explanation for the other advanced stats that were referenced (fen wick, corsi rel, etc) that would be amazing.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I mostly read here but I have to say thanks for 5 year old corsi explanation. I don't want to make a separate thread, so if anyone would be kind enough to do a 5 year old explanation for the other advanced stats that were referenced (fen wick, corsi rel, etc) that would be amazing.

Corsi Relative is a similar stat but how you effect other players when playing with them. You'll notice that the % is lower (i.e. 6%)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
What's kind of awesome is the Flyers have a few guys that can do that now. Ghost/Konecny/Provorov/Giroux/VoracekCouturier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad