Value of: Flyers 1sts: 14th + 19th

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
PHI has an extremely healthy prospect system and naturally a number of players of note in the show already. There's not a lot they 'need' on the prospect front.

Still, what player would have to drop to 11 in order for Hextall to call up Snow and offer the following for Pick 11:
- Pick 14, Laczynski, Bernhardt

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
PHI has an extremely healthy prospect system and naturally a number of players of note in the show already. There's not a lot they 'need' on the prospect front.

Still, what player would have to drop to 11 in order for Hextall to call up Snow and offer the following for Pick 11:
- Pick 14, Laczynski, Bernhardt

Hextall isnt around to answer that, sadly.

From my perspective, there isn't a player there that would be a good fit for that deal. I don't really view anyone in that range as a 'game-breaking' player, so I wouldn't do it.

I'm also strongly of the camp that we need a D man in this draft, as we'll likely lose one in the Seattle expansion draft. Getting one now gives the player another year in junior then a year or two in the AHL to be ready when someone is taken.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
People are getting caught up in the new shiny toys available for the draft.

Giroux Couts Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
Ratcliffe Frost Allison

Still have Laughton and Simmonds as well. Then also have the following guys, 5 who are AHL bound so getting close:

Rubstov Vorobyev Aube-Kubel
Strome Bunnaman Kase
Twarynski XXXX Laczynski

And still have: Sushko,Laberge, Lycksell, Cates as wingers.

The point is, there is no glaring weakness that needs filling by prospects by moving up and using 3 good assets to add 1.

Stay the course. Add the BPA at #14 and 19 and hope a guy likes Farabee falls to #14 and look to take a Dman at #19.

And we know:

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers
Morin Hagg
Hogberg Friedman
Bernhardt

Hart, Sandstrom, Stolarz, Lyon, Ustimenko, Tomek

Philly has no glaring need at the prospect level. And with 9 picks in this draft including the 2 1st rounders, it's only going to get better and deeper.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Giroux Couts Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
Ratcliffe Frost Allison

Still have Laughton and Simmonds as well. Then also have the following guys, 5 who are AHL bound so getting close:

Rubstov Vorobyev Laczynski
Strome Bunnaman Kase
Twarynski XXXX Sushko

And still have: Laberge, Lycksell, Cates as wingers.

The point is, there is no glaring weakness that needs filling by prospects by moving up and using 3 good assets to add 1.

Stay the course. Add the BPA at #14 and 19 and hope a guy likes Farabee falls to #14 and look to take a Dman at #19.

And we know:

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers
Morin Hagg
Hogberg Friedman
Bernhardt

Philly has no glaring need at the prospect level. And with 9 picks in this draft including the 2 1st rounders, it's only going to get better and deeper.

You forgot NAK as well :)

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Giroux Couts Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
Ratcliffe Frost Allison

Rubstov Vorobyev Aube-Kubel
Strome Bunnaman Kase
Twarynski XXXX Laczynski

And still have: Sushko,Laberge, Lycksell, Cates as wingers.

And we know:

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers
Morin Hagg
Hogberg Friedman
Bernhardt

That’s precisely why I think we will move the picks. We have no organisational weakness and a pipeline stocked at every position. There’s only so many AHL and NHL spots and therefore I’d rather one A prospect than another couple of B’s.

It’s a great problem to have.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
If Tkachuk or Wahlstrom made it to #7, I would send #14 and #19 as a Flyers fan.

Unless dmen are taken at 4, 5 and 6 I doubt he is but like you, if he's available at 6 or 7 then I'd make that trade too. Like 1865 said there are only so many spots available on the roster, we don't really need more "B" level prospects and I would package together the picks to move up if he's available.

Most of the prospects we have left look to be bottom 6 forwards with a few having middle 6 potential. Frost MAY have top line potential but I think that's a stretch. We have only 2 real holes in our prospect pool and that's an elite scorer and a legit Simmonds replacement. Tkachuk would be the replacement for Simmonds this filling one of those holes. Yes we could use another good dman prospect but if we could get Tkachuk and pick up a dman in later rounds or even next year I'd do it. There really isn't a NEED to add a dman prospect right now

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Unless dmen are taken at 4, 5 and 6 I doubt he is but like you, if he's available at 6 or 7 then I'd make that trade too. Like 1865 said there are only so many spots available on the roster, we don't really need more "B" level prospects and I would package together the picks to move up if he's available.

Most of the prospects we have left look to be bottom 6 forwards with a few having middle 6 potential. Frost MAY have top line potential but I think that's a stretch. We have only 2 real holes in our prospect pool and that's an elite scorer and a legit Simmonds replacement. Tkachuk would be the replacement for Simmonds this filling one of those holes. Yes we could use another good dman prospect but if we could get Tkachuk and pick up a dman in later rounds or even next year I'd do it. There really isn't a NEED to add a dman prospect right now

What exactly are we trying to replace with Simmonds, out of curiosity? His biggest asset was his net front presence and Patrick has mostly taken that job over already. Otherwise, both Konecny and Voracek have taken the top line RW spots. Simmonds' 'grit' is largely overrated, and would most likely be replaced by Allison.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That’s precisely why I think we will move the picks. We have no organisational weakness and a pipeline stocked at every position. There’s only so many AHL and NHL spots and therefore I’d rather one A prospect than another couple of B’s.

It’s a great problem to have.
But as Hextall has shown, you can find A prospects regardless of where you draft. Just look at Konecny. Frost..TBD but hell of a draft+1 season.

Reactions: pmwlker

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
But as Hextall has shown, you can find A prospects regardless of where you draft. Just look at Konecny. Frost..TBD but hell of a draft+1 season.

Sure, but for every Konecny we have (what looks like) a Rubstov when you pick there.

I just think a single top 10 pick works much better for us right now than multiple tweeners.

Reactions: dats81

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sure, but for every Konecny we have (what looks like) a Rubstov when you pick there.

I just think a single top 10 pick works much better for us right now than multiple tweeners.
at 14, you should not get a tweener.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
at 14, you should not get a tweener.

Looking back a few years.

Honka, Wennberg, Girgensons, Oleksiak, Schwartz, Kulikov, Boychuk, Shattenkirk, Grabner.

You can get a star for sure, but at that range it’s a bit of a shot sometimes and we’ve got enough shots in the system. We need some more assured top end young talent.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Looking back a few years.

Honka, Wennberg, Girgensons, Oleksiak, Schwartz, Kulikov, Boychuk, Shattenkirk, Grabner.

You can get a star for sure, but at that range it’s a bit of a shot sometimes and we’ve got enough shots in the system. We need some more assured top end young talent.
You left out McAvoy too.

I have said it before, I have no issue trading up if we are trading picks in rounds 2-7 on top of a 1st. I absolutely would not trade 2 1sts to move up. JMO.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
You left out McAvoy too.

I have said it before, I have no issue trading up if we are trading picks in rounds 2-7 on top of a 1st. I absolutely would not trade 2 1sts to move up. JMO.

I'd trade both picks for 5/6 if possible and if there's someone on the board we want.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Vancouver offers

2018 1st - 7th OA + 2018 3rd - 69th OA + Baertschi

for

Phili's

2018 1st - 14th OA + Phili's 2019 1st +Phili's 2019 2nd

Vancouver goes for futures in this deal, as Vancouver is hosting the 2019 NHL Draft
Vancouver is not competing any time soon and can hold off a year for their returns

This keeps Phili on it's rebuild course, and gives them a solid upgrade at the #7 pick
Phili is now in the position to move up even high, without giving up a Grade A prospect
(aka moving up 1 or 2 spots)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Vancouver offers

2018 1st - 7th OA + 2018 3rd - 69th OA + Baertschi

for

Phili's

2018 1st - 14th OA + Phili's 2019 1st +Phili's 2019 2nd

Vancouver goes for futures in this deal, as Vancouver is hosting the 2019 NHL Draft
Vancouver is not competing any time soon and can hold off a year for their returns

This keeps Phili on it's rebuild course, and gives them a solid upgrade at the #7 pick
Phili is now in the position to move up even high, without giving up a Grade A prospect
(aka moving up 1 or 2 spots)

I'd do this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad