Value of: Flyers #14 & 19 to trade up

Flyers5150

Jan 9, 2008
Flyers are loaded with prospects at all positions. Let’s assume flyers want to trade picks 14&19 to get into top 10.

1. How high could they trade up using those two picks?

2. What teams might be willing to trade?

3. Is trading up even worth it given the depth of the 2018 draft?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Can’t speed on the depth of the draft...but thus will be a factor.

Trading up you possibly can get up to 8 or 9.

If there is a perceived najir drop off from top 10 and those 12-20 then no team will do this.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think it probably gets them into the ~7th overall range. It's probably fair value for a team like Detroit as well who's just starting a rebuild and dont have a tonne of prospect depth already built up. The Wings are outside of that group at the very top where they're getting a sure thing elite talent, and instead could trade down and get 2 good prospects with a chance of becoming elite prospects.

But teams trading up/down is so rare that it has to be the perfect scenario present itself and I'm not sure that happens for the Flyers.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Could see the Oilers giving up 10th + Devils 3rd next season if the players we want are gone.

They wouldn't do that. Make it 10 + 40 for 14 + 19 and they might listen, but that would require a surprise in the first 9 picks that sees a guy not expected to be there drop. At that point, why would we trade back?

If there's a team that might bite on a trade back, I'd guess Chicago. That pick would cost 14+19.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
As a Rangers fan, I would make this trade for #9. The 9th pick is the last pick before you have a somewhat drop off in talent.

Even still, there’s a bunch of guys in this draft that I like and having 4 1st round picks would be great.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Curious what players would be available for 14 and/or 19 rather than moving up.

For the Rangers.

Instead of drafting someone like Dobson.

I’d rather draft with the 14 And 19.

Kotkaniemi
Kravtsov

With the other Rangers picks. I’d select:

Bokk
Kaut

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Don't do it. Flyers have their top end guys, they need the high quality depth that multiple picks can give them.

I'd say the exact opposite.

We have tons of quality prospects who project to be 2nd-4th liners. We have prospect depth at every position.

C: Frost, Laczynski, Vorobyev, Bunnaman, Rubstov, Laberge,
LW: Lindblom, Ratcliffe, Strome, Twarynski
RW: Allison, Aube-Kubel, Sushko, Lycksell, Kase,
D: Sanheim, Myers, Morin, Högberg, Friedman
G: Hart, Sandstrom, Lyon, Stolarz, Ustimenko

Specifically looking at the wingers, while some have potential we don't have a true blue-chipper there. Hence we could invest 14th+19th+ to move up and get someone like Zadina.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
For the Rangers.

Instead of drafting someone like Dobson.

I’d rather draft with the 14 And 19.

Kotkaniemi
Kravtsov

With the other Rangers picks. I’d select:

Bokk
Kaut

I was referring to moving one of the picks or both for a player that could step into the lineup now. Flyers don’t need any more prospects.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I think it probably gets them into the ~7th overall range. It's probably fair value for a team like Detroit as well who's just starting a rebuild and dont have a tonne of prospect depth already built up. The Wings are outside of that group at the very top where they're getting a sure thing elite talent, and instead could trade down and get 2 good prospects with a chance of becoming elite prospects.

But teams trading up/down is so rare that it has to be the perfect scenario present itself and I'm not sure that happens for the Flyers.

Detroit would be stupid to do this IMO

Getting someone like Bouchard, Bovquist or Hughes would be a great start for our rebuild instead of taking a risk that one or both of the picks we get in return grow into something useful for Detroits future

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Flyers are loaded with prospects at all positions. Let’s assume flyers want to trade picks 14&19 to get into top 10.

1. How high could they trade up using those two picks?

2. What teams might be willing to trade?

3. Is trading up even worth it given the depth of the 2018 draft?
1. Looking at two NHL draft value charts one says those two picks can put you into 3rd/4th overall range which seems ludicrous to me and it was a fairly old chart, a more recent one says it can put you into the 7th/8th overall range which seems kind of realistic to me. Generally to force your way up you also have to atleast slightly overpay on the value chart.

2. The only teams in the top 10 that I think might be ok doing that kind of trade is Chicago and Edmonton

3. I don't have an answer to this question.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Unless they can get into the top 6 or 7 then no thanks. Philly scouts are awesome at finding gems in the mid to late 1st round.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
As much as they’ve been building thru the draft, I’d think they’d rather use those picks for a full time NHL player while they have the cap space

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd say the exact opposite.

We have tons of quality prospects who project to be 2nd-4th liners. We have prospect depth at every position.

C: Frost, Laczynski, Vorobyev, Bunnaman, Rubstov, Laberge,
LW: Lindblom, Ratcliffe, Strome, Twarynski
RW: Allison, Aube-Kubel, Sushko, Lycksell, Kase,
D: Sanheim, Myers, Morin, Högberg, Friedman
G: Hart, Sandstrom, Lyon, Stolarz, Ustimenko

Specifically looking at the wingers, while some have potential we don't have a true blue-chipper there. Hence we could invest 14th+19th+ to move up and get someone like Zadina.

Wont get close to Zadina with those picks.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Take a look at my post again...

"14th + 19th +"

I read your post. That "+" better be of more value than 14th OA to get Montreal to think about moving the #3 pick. Even in a deep draft, just a huge drop off in value from the top picks. Also, how on earth could the Habs possibly sell that deal to their fan base? That kind of trade never ever ever ever happens.

If the return was Couts or Giroux the Habs listen (but why would Philly do that).

The Flyers are better off keeping those picks or moving them for real players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad