Proposal: Flyer-Preds

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The flyers drafted a ton of goalies preparing for this. Flyers knew what was coming. Don't kid yourself.

Flyers need to be patient and see if Ersson is a 1. Maybe yes. Maybe no. But it sure isn't maybe punt time.

They are way further away from Saros from being a cup contender.

And absolutely they have zero none nada zilch zippo business trading for players who are free agents in 25.

Maybe you can make the case the flyers should cash in youth for a legit under control 2c. But not a goalie who can walk in 25.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
so you think we are going to take a Cap Dump and The Rizz in exchange for Saros?
No, I think everyone expects the Predators to keep him. Shrug.

They've set a super high price with the expectation that no one meets it and then they'll re-sign him, which is their preference anyway. Unless he secretly wants to move on, I imagine that is their plan.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Flyers are either going to stand pat or sell. One of the only teams that have actually said they are rebuilding is not trading two recent first round picks, a third round pick that is playing above his draft pick status, and another first.

Management has made it pretty clear that they know where they stand even if they’re competing hard.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Even with all that prospect bling, none of them really fit the sort of Grade A level that the Preds have made no secret they're seeking in any trade of one of their goalies. It's just a broken proposal in every way, for both teams. Philly is building, they're not giving up a bundle of their best prospects in the middle of that when they also have goaltending options in house already. Meanwhile, the Preds already have bundles of these kinds of prospects and more picks coming too, they're only going to trade Saros if it lands them some higher level of prospect they _don't_ already have. Which is another way of saying they simply aren't going to be trading Saros at all, therefore, because no team will be offering that. As already noted above, Saros is therefore going to sign a contract extension and stay in Nashville.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Even with all that prospect bling, none of them really fit the sort of Grade A level that the Preds have made no secret they're seeking in any trade of one of their goalies. It's just a broken proposal in every way, for both teams. Philly is building, they're not giving up a bundle of their best prospects in the middle of that when they also have goaltending options in house already. Meanwhile, the Preds already have bundles of these kinds of prospects and more picks coming too, they're only going to trade Saros if it lands them some higher level of prospect they _don't_ already have. Which is another way of saying they simply aren't going to be trading Saros at all, therefore, because no team will be offering that. As already noted above, Saros is therefore going to sign a contract extension and stay in Nashville.
Signing a 30 year old goalie to multi-year contract for a decent pay raise would not be smart for a team not competing for a cup right now. Especially when their best prospect is a 21 year old goalie. Especially when saros has pretty good trade value. Terrible asset management if you sign saros just to try and make the playoffs and get knocked out over and over again year after year while picking 14-18th in the draft picking up good players not great.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Signing a 30 year old goalie to multi-year contract for a decent pay raise would not be smart for a team not competing for a cup right now. Especially when their best prospect is a 21 year old goalie. Especially when saros has pretty good trade value. Terrible asset management if you sign saros just to try and make the playoffs and get knocked out over and over again year after year while picking 14-18th in the draft picking up good players not great.
You'll have to take that up with Barry Trotz then, because he obviously thinks differently. Competing in hockey is progressive. Saros is not being signed "just to try to make the playoffs...etc"... what you wrote is utterly nonsensical. He's being signed to give the team a firm foundation on which to build towards greater and greater success year after year. Either as a hockey player or as an asset. His asset value is significantly diminished if you trade him either in a down season like this one or as a rental player.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
You'll have to take that up with Barry Trotz then, because he obviously thinks differently. Competing in hockey is progressive. Saros is not being signed "just to try to make the playoffs...etc"... what you wrote is utterly nonsensical. He's being signed to give the team a firm foundation on which to build towards greater and greater success year after year. Either as a hockey player or as an asset. His asset value is significantly diminished if you trade him either in a down season like this one or as a rental player.
I think what I said makes perfect sense. Just because you refuse to believe that this team is in need of a rebuild as I do. Upon signing a 30 year old goalie you’ll have a 23 year goalie that you drafted at 11 to be ready for this exact thing. Hate to think that Nashville passed on some pretty solid forwards at 11 ( Lundell, Jarvis, Mercer) just to name a few, to not have askarov taking the reins when saros’s contract is up. Signing saros to a multi year contract doesn’t make sense to non Stanley cup contender. I could care less if that trotz thinks otherwise, it’s wrong. GMs make bad decisions all the time and if trotz decides to not trade saros and signs him it will be a mistake and that top prospect you picked at 11 will jet back to Russia because he will not want to be a back up for 8 more years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think what I said makes perfect sense. Just because you refuse to believe that this team is in need of a rebuild as I do. Upon signing a 30 year old goalie you’ll have a 23 year goalie that you drafted at 11 to be ready for this exact thing. Hate to think that Nashville passed on some pretty solid forwards at 11 ( Lundell, Jarvis, Mercer) just to name a few, to not have askarov taking the reins when saros’s contract is up. Signing saros to a multi year contract doesn’t make sense to non Stanley cup contender. I could care less if that trotz thinks otherwise, it’s wrong. GMs make bad decisions all the time and if trotz decides to not trade saros and signs him it will be a mistake and that top prospect you picked at 11 will jet back to Russia because he will not want to be a back up for 8 more years.
That's some extreme overreaction and melodrama. Askarov may or may not even pan out as an NHL goalie. For that matter, Saros may or may not recover his Vezina-candidate form. Who knows. Relying on either one of those unknowns in isolation isn't going to help you build that contender either. Nobody is forcing Askarov to be a backup for 8 more years. Whenever... *IF* ever... he proves to be better than Saros, then he'll be the starter. You don't need to fabricate a fantasy scenario that locks him onto a different path. The real world is going to play itself out, and the Preds are going to be better off at a key position by continuing to preserve their options and letting things continue to unfold in the real world. You are not getting a game-changing franchise player by trading either one of them, that was proven out last summer. And the Preds aren't going to choose a decade in the basement to get a lottery ticket for a #1 pick either. If you think those kinds of things are on the table, then you are dreaming in technicolor. It's your right as a fan to dream whatever you want... but you're probably just going to be perpetually disappointed when the real world continues forward in a different fashion. :dunno:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
That's some extreme overreaction and melodrama. Askarov may or may not even pan out as an NHL goalie. For that matter, Saros may or may not recover his Vezina-candidate form. Who knows. Relying on either one of those unknowns in isolation isn't going to help you build that contender either. Nobody is forcing Askarov to be a backup for 8 more years. Whenever... *IF* ever... he proves to be better than Saros, then he'll be the starter. You don't need to fabricate a fantasy scenario that locks him onto a different path. The real world is going to play itself out, and the Preds are going to be better off at a key position by continuing to preserve their options and letting things continue to unfold in the real world. You are not getting a game-changing franchise player by trading either one of them, that was proven out last summer. And the Preds aren't going to choose a decade in the basement to get a lottery ticket for a #1 pick either. If you think those kinds of things are on the table, then you are dreaming in technicolor. It's your right as a fan to dream whatever you want... but you're probably just going to be perpetually disappointed when the real world continues forward in a different fashion. :dunno:
Funny how you call my opinions a fantasy scenario but you have stated over and over that we will sign saros and in a few years when there is another expansion draft we’ll see what to do with saros. Kinda like calling the kettle black huh when no one knows if they’ll ever be another expansion draft.
Guess we’ll both be disappointed then or maybe you’re fine with a fighting for a playoff spot year after year just to get knocked out of the 1st round quite handily. You’re probably right the preds will never do a true rebuild because they know fans like you won’t support a bad team and Nashville has a bunch of fair weather fans. Even though statistically a rebuilding team has a 80 to 90 percent better chance to win the cup than a team that refuses to do a rebuild.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Funny how you call my opinions a fantasy scenario but you have stated over and over that we will sign saros and in a few years when there is another expansion draft we’ll see what to do with saros. Kinda like calling the kettle black huh when no one knows if they’ll ever be another expansion draft.
If you think there won't ever be expansion, then I can't help you.
Guess we’ll both be disappointed then or maybe you’re fine with a fighting for a playoff spot year after year just to get knocked out of the 1st round quite handily. You’re probably right the preds will never do a true rebuild because they know fans like you won’t support a bad team and Nashville has a bunch of fair weather fans.
If you think the goal is to stay in the middle, then I can't help you.

Even though statistically a rebuilding team has a 80 to 90 percent better chance to win the cup than a team that refuses to do a rebuild.
That's complete nonsense. Only a small handful of teams have ever won a Stanley Cup via rebuilding, a slim minority of all teams in the NHL. There are far more teams who have gone that route and haven't won anything. "Yet"? Well "yet" has a real habit of stretching out, doesn't it? You're choosing to ignore the real numbers here. But anyway, since you acknowledge that the Preds will never do a true rebuild, then that's all that really matters for the sake of these arguments. If it's never going to happen... then what's the upside in continuing to argue for it? Doesn't it just make you feel bitter and depressed all the time? Shouldn't you cheer for Chicago or something? Being a sports fan is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Find a team that follows your dreams, and get behind them? Have some fun? :dunno:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
If you think there won't ever be expansion, then I can't help you.

If you think the goal is to stay in the middle, then I can't help you.

That's complete nonsense. Only a small handful of teams have ever won a Stanley Cup via rebuilding, a slim minority of all teams in the NHL. There are far more teams who have gone that route and haven't won anything. "Yet"? Well "yet" has a real habit of stretching out, doesn't it? You're choosing to ignore the real numbers here. But anyway, since you acknowledge that the Preds will never do a true rebuild, then that's all that really matters for the sake of these arguments. If it's never going to happen... then what's the upside in continuing to argue for it? Doesn't it just make you feel bitter and depressed all the time? Shouldn't you cheer for Chicago or something? Being a sports fan is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Find a team that follows your dreams, and get behind them? Have some fun? :dunno:
lol 😂 so since I’m critical of my team I should find another team. Seriously. Why did I expect any thing less from you.
Complete nonsense? Since 2000 how many teams have won the Stanley cup who hasn’t went through a rebuild?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Guess we’ll both be disappointed then or maybe you’re fine with a fighting for a playoff spot year after year just to get knocked out of the 1st round quite handily. You’re probably right the preds will never do a true rebuild because they know fans like you won’t support a bad team and Nashville has a bunch of fair weather fans. Even though statistically a rebuilding team has a 80 to 90 percent better chance to win the cup than a team that refuses to do a rebuild.
That’s probably true, but the fact is it’s a business. Penguins have 5 cups, and the Flyers have never been bankrupt.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
lol 😂 so since I’m critical of my team I should find another team. Seriously. Why did I expect any thing less from you.
Complete nonsense? Since 2000 how many teams have won the Stanley cup who hasn’t went through a rebuild?
Alright, well, come back to the Preds board and let's go through the numbers again, if you really want a glimpse of reality. But I know you don't. This thread isn't the place for the umpteenth reiteration of that argument.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Alright, well, come back to the Preds board and let's go through the numbers again, if you really want a glimpse of reality. But I know you don't. This isn't the place for the umpteenth reiteration of that argument.
Numbers again? I hardly post on the preds board anymore because any difference of opinion and y’all jump on the guy like your opinion is the right and only opinion. We can go through the numbers here. I’ll help ya. St Louis New Jersey and Boston are the only teams that won the cup without some sort of rebuild in the last 24 years. If you enjoy being a true Stanley cup contender’s punching bag in the 1st round year in and year out that’s on you

• Haha
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Very pointless for the Flyers, who have perhaps the deepest goalie pipeline in the league and essentially no competitive aspirations until Michkov arrives.

Reactions: Cootsfanclub

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3