The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Younger, faster, cheaper: Why Karson Kuhlman made his Bruins debut at David Backes’ expense

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's a tough situation. Nobody questions Backes' commitment and leadership but the game has passed him by.

Younger, faster, cheaper: Why Karson Kuhlman made his Bruins...

upload_2019-2-17_21-52-52.png

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Kid looked good. Showed some great flashes of potential.
At times I thought I was watching Marchand with his speed and shiftyness.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Of course, Nordstrom is on the list in part because he plays with Backes!
So last year when Nordstrom played 75 games and had 2 goals was it Backes’ fault then too? Nordstrom has played 330 nhl games and has 25 goals, so around 6 goals per 82 games on average. He was terrible offensively before he got here and will be terrible offensively after Backes is gone

Reactions: CptxMorgan

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
So last year when Nordstrom played 75 games and had 2 goals was it Backes’ fault then too? Nordstrom has played 330 nhl games and has 25 goals, so around 6 goals per 82 games on average. He was terrible offensively before he got here and will be terrible offensively after Backes is gone

Yes but gives that extra Bergeronesque 2nd effort back checking

Cassidy digs this

Reactions: Blowfish

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Backes can still help somebody for the playoffs and should return a second round pick. I liked Coolman out there also.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
He goes from a full no trade clause to a limited (15 team) no trade clause starting July 1st

So he can be moved if we add assets to a deal

Reactions: bbfan419

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
When I first read the title of the article, I thought this would be a thread detailing why my ex left me.

As for Mr. Backes, the lesson is to stay away from mid range free agents in their 30s.

Many of us hated the deal when it happened. It was hotly debated as to how they should replace Eriksson. I was in no hurry to do so, not because of the dollars, but because of the term.

It will be a bitter pill to swallow if they have to add pieces to a deal in order to move the contract.

As for the player, he seems like a good guy who works hard and displays leadership. The skills just aren’t there at this point.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Yeah, I just feel bad for David.

Played the game the right way, has stones, etc., but between injuries and speed, he’s just not keeping up and I’m sure it burns him up inside.

It will be interesting to see what the offseason brings; don’t think much will happen until that next signing bonus is paid.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Trade him this summer after paying out his $3M signing bonus.

Some floor team would likely take him. $2.5M in salary for a $6M cap hit. Only 2 years left. Ideal for retooling teams where this contract is off the books by year 3 of the process where the rebuilding starts materializing.

And there is the veteran leadership element for a team in need of it for those who subscribe to that.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
When I first read the title of the article, I thought this would be a thread detailing why my ex left me.

As for Mr. Backes, the lesson is to stay away from mid range free agents in their 30s.

Many of us hated the deal when it happened. It was hotly debated as to how they should replace Eriksson. I was in no hurry to do so, not because of the dollars, but because of the term.

It will be a bitter pill to swallow if they have to add pieces to a deal in order to move the contract.

As for the player, he seems like a good guy who works hard and displays leadership. The skills just aren’t there at this point.

OUI OUI this! and why Kovolchuk does't make sense unless 100% salary is retained.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Backes can still help somebody for the playoffs and should return a second round pick.

Any team he could help would not be qualifying for the playoffs. He's had a great career but ...

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I think that it's a given at this point. No team will take on his contract without a good reason to do so.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Bs would have to start with giving up a decent prospect to move Backes, and that might not even be enough. That would be the ideal option at this point. I supposed they could buy him out, which wouldn't free up a ton of money, but would be better than keeping him on the roster. The Bs have a ton of important contracts to deal with over the next two years. Stinks that Sweeney made such a stupid decision, but it is what it is and needs to be dealt with, the sooner the better.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'd move Backes with a decent prospect or a high(ish) pick. Can't have that $6M on the books after this year. That's an absolute anchor of a contract.

Reactions: 13Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad