The Athletic - Boston Fluto: What’s the Bruins’ biggest trade need?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Every team has an occasional stinker. The Bruins sure did on Tuesday when they refused to play defense against the Hurricanes.

But widen the lens a touch, and you have a team on an 8-2-0 run since regrouping following the December shutdown. Tuukka Rask is back. Flipping David Pastrnak and Craig Smith was the right move. The Bruins appear to be on the COVID-19 downslope, with only Mike Reilly currently in protocol.

So what happens next? Is it time to start looking ahead to the March 21 trade deadline? That seems to be the most urgent question on subscribers’ minds.

Note: Some questions have been edited slightly for clarity or length.

Do you expect the Bruins to trade some of their disgruntled players? — Bob S.

I expect Jake DeBrusk to be traded. Do not see the Bruins issuing DeBrusk his $4.41 million qualifying offer at the end of the year. This would make him unrestricted and free to sign with anybody. Regardless of how poorly things have proceeded with DeBrusk, it would not be prudent for the Bruins to have him walk for nothing. The most likely transaction is for a player of a similar age who is underperforming to a similar degree. Max Domi would fall into that category, although I don’t necessarily think that would be the right fit.

What’s the likelihood of a deal including Linus Ullmark prior to the deadline? — Robin F.

Zero. Ullmark has no-move protection. Players do not usually waive it in their first year.

Edmonton is in dire need of goaltending. Linus Ullmark would get the lion’s share of work there, I’d imagine. Do you see Ullmark waiving his NMC for that possibility? — Kevin M.

Zero. I do not see Ullmark relocating his family after just a few months.

Is some of the “This might be Patrice Bergeron’s last year” narrative attributed to the Zdeno Chara and David Krejci surprises? Basically, is it just to cover all possible scenarios? Or is there actual evidence, aside from wear and tear, that this could be the end? — Ed M.

The reality is nobody knows what will happen next season. Probably not even Bergeron himself. So if you’re the Bruins, you have to proceed with the possibility that this is it. You cannot operate on the assumption that based on his current performance, he will be back for next year and years to come, even if it looks like he can play very well for some time. I also do not view Bergeron as being in the same category as Chara. I think the moment Bergeron identifies slippage in his game, he will not be satisfied with extending his career just to continuing playing.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
For this year if the Bruins want to put themselves in the best position to win it all. IMO their biggest need is a defenseman or two who can withstand a pounding and be able to dish one out, handle a hard fore-check and play critical minutes. They don't need to be a superstar (but one more would be nice) because come April and beyond a Boychuk, Ference and Seidenberg type players help make the difference from winning a 7 game series to going home early.

Last edited:
Reactions: trenton1

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I fully expect them to go all in
Gone will be 2022 First, 2023 First, maybe a second thrown in as well, why not?
Also gone Lysell, Lorhei, Swayman if I'm the other teams that's what I'm looking for and probably a few from the next tier like Studnicka and Harrison as well
Feel free to join me when it's time and we can watch Rome burn together, I'll bring the wine

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
Tomas Hertl extended
Jake C at LD
JT miller at 2C
Claude Giroux at 50%

in that order

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Also gone Lysell, Lorhei, Swayman if I'm the other teams that's what I'm looking for and probably a few from the next tier like Studnicka and Harrison as well
Feel free to join me when it's time and we can watch Rome burn together, I'll bring the wine

Sounds like a map to Hell.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

If they trade multiple future 1sts you just have to hope the team doesn't nosedive in the next 2-3 years when they'll likely have to rebuild. And if Sweeney and Neely want to avoid a rebuild to save their jobs and give Mr. Burns playoff revenue, just hope that they don't give contracts to the next Beleskey, Moore, Hayes, and Backes' when they throw money around at FA's and players they acquire via trade like drunken sailors.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Agreed...with Bergeron thinking retirement, it's an all in situation.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Who does Fluto think he is with this mailbag, Dom?

Not remotely. Fluto's insistence on never asking the difficult questions, being remotely critical or providing any real insight drives me crazy. It also doesn't help when Fluto gets questions like why Ullmark and his family might not want to waive his no move to go to Edmonton, of all places, months after moving here.

I love Dom's mailbag and his insights. Top notch and they're free! I actually pay for the Athletic!

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I suspect they'll just get the usual tweeners that are just as inconsistent as what they already have.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I read the article and I disagree with him that 2C is the priority over Defense, but you can make a valid point for either.... That said, I think this paragraph sums up the Boston predicament perfectly...

'Let’s look at Sweeney’s best assets: the 2022 first-round pick, Fabian Lysell, Mason Lohrei. I do not see Don being quick to trade any of those three. So then you have to progress to the secondary tier: John Beecher, Jakub Lauko, Jack Ahcan, Jack Studnicka, Urho Vaakanainen, Oskar Steen, Trent Frederic. Sweeney would be much more willing to listen on those players. But does that get you into the conversation if you’re competing with Tampa, Florida, Toronto, etc. when it comes to rentals or other help? Don’t believe so. I think it will be challenging for the Bruins to acquire top-flight help.'

Personally, I'd add Swayman to the list of quality tradeable assets. I'd also add Griz to the mix as a player with a lot of value to other teams.

Reactions: TCB

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Agreed...with Bergeron thinking retirement, it's an all in situation.

I think it will be the opposite. With Bergeron thinking retirement, Sweeney is going to place a premium on the future, which means he won't deal his 1st, or his top prospects in Swayman, Lohrei, Lysell and probably Studnicka.

Everyone wants a 2C and a top4 LD? Sweeney is going to get a 3rd line W and a RD for the 3rd pair.

He'll be looking to give up a 2nd and/or a 3rd, Jake DeBrusk, and mid-level prospects like Vaak.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think it will be the opposite. With Bergeron thinking retirement, Sweeney is going to place a premium on the future, which means he won't deal his 1st, or his top prospects in Swayman, Lohrei, Lysell and probably Studnicka.

Everyone wants a 2C and a top4 LD? Sweeney is going to get a 3rd line W and a RD for the 3rd pair.

He'll be looking to give up a 2nd and/or a 3rd, Jake DeBrusk, and mid-level prospects like Vaak.

You maybe right but my only question for you would be why then did he bring Tuukka back?

Why wouldn't he had Just stayed with Swayman and Ullmark because with no significant adds no matter who's in goal, their not going very far.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
You maybe right but my only question for you would be why then did he bring Tuukka back?

Why wouldn't he had Just stayed with Swayman and Ullmark because with no significant adds no matter who's in goal, their not going very far.

I don't know. I kind of feel like, why add anyone if you're not really going for it? You know? Why give up 2nds and such at the deadline? Maybe they feel like they need to present themselves as always going for it. Or maybe they think, "you never know, things could fall our way like in 2019" when we all thought there was no way they could get through the Caps or Lightning and then both were eliminated in the first round.

Adding some pieces improves the team, improves the depth, improves their chances of getting to the 2nd or 3rd round. Maybe they think, this is the kind of year where you shore up holes and hope for some good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

It will be interesting to see which direction he takes...I'm thinking Bergeron factor.

Reactions: PlayMakers

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not remotely. Fluto's insistence on never asking the difficult questions, being remotely critical or providing any real insight drives me crazy. It also doesn't help when Fluto gets questions like why Ullmark and his family might not want to waive his no move to go to Edmonton, of all places, months after moving here.

I love Dom's mailbag and his insights. Top notch and they're free! I actually pay for the Athletic!
Yes agreed, Dom > Fluto.

Reactions: MattFromFranklin

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

To be fair to Fluto, he was ahead of the curve a year ago that when he said that Sweeney was hesitant/scared to trade DeBrusk, and you could argue that he has proven to be correct. He also had some good scoops when Chiarelli was here.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It will be interesting to see which direction he takes...I'm thinking Bergeron factor.

I'm hoping Hertl forces their hand. If he chooses Boston and exercises his NTC to make Boston his only option then I could see Sweeney biting. Otherwise, I have a hard time seeing him part with a 1st and a good prospect given what's looming over the horizon.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
A true top flight defenseman. The drop off after McAvoy is huge. And as good as he is he can't do it alone.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
#2C
#2/3 D-man
Someone with some size/toughness for the 4th line or bottom pair D

- LD with physicality. Mark Giordano

- 4th line player with toughness - Lucic

- 2C - if Ducks start to suck. Getzlaf would be good

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
- LD with physicality. Mark Giordano

- 4th line player with toughness - Lucic

- 2C - if Ducks start to suck. Getzlaf would be good

Lucic has no want to leave the West. He asked to go there for a very personal reason and has made no indications he would head back East.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad