The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Nick Foligno’s rough first season with the Bruins takes another wrong turn

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nick Foligno's rough first season with the Bruins takes another wrong turn

Nick Foligno buckled. Most players would have after taking a right as hard as the one Sam Carrick landed during their second-period fight on Monday.

Linesmen Mark Shewchyk and Mitch Hunt jumped in to bust up the fight. As they did, Foligno got to his skates with the intention of extending the hostility. Shewchyk and Hunt discouraged that from happening.

Foligno served the entire five-minute major in the penalty box. But the No. 4 left wing went to the dressing room upon exiting. He did not return. Coach Bruce Cassidy did not know whether Foligno’s upper-body injury occurred during the fight. Foligno played just 6:08 in the Bruins’ 5-3 loss to the Ducks.
It was Foligno’s latest unfortunate occurrence in a season filled with more downturns than he expected.
  • The ex-Columbus captain was injured in the second regular-season game. He was sidelined for the next eight.
  • He did not score his first goal until Jan. 1.
  • He is averaging 1.26 points per 60 minutes of five-on-five play, according to Natural Stat Trick, the lowest of any team forward.
  • His left leg folded awkwardly on Jan. 8, which knocked him out for the next five games.
“Obviously, this year hasn’t been fun for me just in the breaks of the season,” Foligno said last Friday, the day after logging 15:02 of ice time against Washington. “Getting going, injury. Then COVID comes along, break. I felt like I came out of that with the right mindset and was getting going. Then all of a sudden, another one. Just got to stick with it and find a way to contribute.”

How long Foligno’s latest setback keeps him out is unknown. Even if it is a short-term injury, it is the latest for a 34-year-old bruiser who relies on physicality to make an impact. At Foligno’s age, it gets harder and harder to find traction with each accumulating injury.

“He used to be an active player,” said one NHL source. “Now he’s reactive.”

The fight followed a flareup with John Gibson during a TV timeout. As the teams went to their benches, Gibson shoved Foligno from behind. Foligno went back at Gibson, losing his helmet during the scrum. On Foligno’s next shift, he accepted Carrick’s challenge.

Foligno’s latest injury deepens the dilemma he presents his employer. He is a banged-up wing facing competition for ice time.

Anton Blidh missed his second straight game after being walloped by Tom Wilson. But Blidh felt well enough to participate in Monday’s morning skate in a non-contact jersey. Blidh is a faster north-south skater than Foligno and more timely with his thumps.

Foligno had been taking some shifts on the third line earlier this month. But Jake DeBrusk and Oskar Steen are livelier and more effective options on the wing flanking Charlie Coyle.

Perhaps the biggest issue is Foligno’s contract: $3.8 million annually with no-move protection this season. It is a big commitment to a 34-year-old who has now been dinged three times. That is precious cap space the Bruins could dearly use, assuming they bring in help prior to the March 21 trade deadline.

So for now, the Bruins can only hope Foligno recovers quickly and finds his game. Otherwise, he does not leave them with many options.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Hard to believe there is a legit chance he will be the
13th F if Steen continues to play well and Blidh returns to health.

I think what may happen is dependent on Lazar actually. He has been really noticeable with his pace
of play. If I was Cassidy I would flip Lazar and Steen
this road trip.

Reactions: Knox Harrington

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Backes, Beleskey, Ritchie, now Foligno, who is next in the spiral of Sweeney getting his power forward? I dont know how much truth is behind that he really only wanted to play in the west but if not, you could have just kept Lucic and would have saved yourself a lot of trouble, 1st rounders, etc.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Backes, Beleskey, Ritchie, now Foligno, who is next in the spiral of Sweeney getting his power forward? I dont know how much truth is behind that he really only wanted to play in the west but if not, you could have just kept Lucic and would have saved yourself a lot of trouble, 1st rounders, etc.
Yeah it has been frustrating.

Trading Lucic was the right call- he was never going to live up to his next contract. However, he has been more productive than any of the players mentioned who tried to take his place. Looking back on it, it might've been worth it to keep him when you factor in the money and assets spent. I will look into that sometime.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
All of this is for naught. I was told in the GDT that Foligno “barely flinched” from that Carrick punch.

I had hope that Nick could be a good player for this team and there was a sign or two of hope early on. But wow has that ever faded. Not sure what to do with him as I do think he’s a good guy to have in the locker room, but the team has other options (even a franchise with a relatively weak prospect pool) that all seem better at this point.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

At least with the first four, they had some type of success before spiraling down the tube. Foligno has been a complete disaster.

At this point he is an expensive 13th forward who you insert when needed if everyone is healthy. Blidh and even Frederic make more sense.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Trading Lucic was the right call- he was never going to live up to his next contract. However, he has been more productive than any of the players mentioned who tried to take his place. Looking back on it, it might've been worth it to keep him when you factor in the money and assets spent. I will look into that sometime.
His worth wasn't just goals and assists,though if he duplicated his numbers here that he produced after 2018 that would have been hard to stomach

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I’m not going to rail on Nick. Any one of us would have taken that contract and he does try, he’s just not good anymore due to health and age. Bad singing, happens

the team should just suck it up and call a spade a spade an only play him when there are injuries to the best 12 forwards on the team. He should not play over steen or Blidh, case closed

I think the article is kind of in poor taste today to be honest, the morning after he got dropped.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I’m not going to rail on Nick. Any one of us would have taken that contract and he does try, he’s just not good anymore due to health and age

the team should just suck it up and call a spade a spade an only play him when there are injuries to the best 12 forwards on the team. He should not play over steen or Blidh, case closed

true, Nick took the cash like any of us would

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I’m not going to rail on Nick. Any one of us would have taken that contract and he does try, he’s just not good anymore due to health and age. Bad singing, happens

I think the article is kind of in poor taste today to be honest, the morning after he got dropped.
Anyone who's heard me sing can attest to that! LOL

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Youre right it was financial.
As well as he wanted to be out West at the time following his Dad’s suicide. Wanted to be closer to mom & sister for a bit.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The signing was bad at the time and didn't make sense at the time.

For as good as Sweeney can be in locking up his core players to below-market extensions, he does things that make absolutely no sense that set the franchise back.

he's been chasing this ghost of the gritty forward since Lucic and Eriksson left - Beleskey, Backes, Ritchie, now Foligno. Every one of them aside from Ritchie were past their prime and already declining by the time they reached UFA, and Ritchie was a draft bust. He can't help himself and it keeps locking him into bad cap situations he has to deal first rounders to get out of.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Just wait until Bergy retires and the contracts of Moore and Foligno expire next year. He's going to spend like a drunken sailor and hand out the next Backes, Beleskey, Foligno, and Moore type contracts so the team can fight for a playoff spot so he can save his job. Throw in a nice Hayes type contract to the next stiff he trades for as well.

He made the right call on Lucic, though. Most people on here at the time were terrified of what his next contract would be. He also half-assed his last year here and it took playing with Spooner and Pasta to light a fire under his ass.

Reactions: Gordoff

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
he's been chasing this ghost of the gritty forward since Lucic and Eriksson left - Beleskey, Backes, Ritchie, now Foligno. Every one of them aside from Ritchie were past their prime and already declining by the time they reached UFA, and Ritchie was a draft bust.

Dom posted a DM from someone in the know fairly recently who said that a lot of the problems with the Bruins circle back to Neely. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the advocate for the Foligno signing, let alone the Backes, Beleskey, Hayes, and Ritchie acquisitions. I've had the impression for a while that on top of being a mediocre hockey mind, he's a dinosaur that is obsessed with guys with size who either have limited offensive upside or are on the decline.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Dom posted a DM from someone in the know fairly recently who said that a lot of the problems with the Bruins circle back to Neely. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the advocate for the Foligno signing, let alone the Backes, Beleskey, Hayes, and Ritchie acquisitions. I've had the impression for a while that on top of being a mediocre hockey mind, he's a dinosaur that is obsessed with guys with size who either have limited offensive upside or are on the decline.
Most likely Sweeney and Neely’s visions have changed these years. Prob Neely sees a need for grit and Sweeney doesn’t. Idk.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Is this signing a Sweeney issue when it's well documented Bergeron was pushing to add this player? I agree we've been trying too hard to find a solid, reliable power forward scoring threat, but at least they're trying. Foligno does bring value to this team, just not on offense. Over paid? Yes, but not entirely useless.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Is this signing a Sweeney issue when it's well documented Bergeron was pushing to add this player? I agree we've been trying too hard to find a solid, reliable power forward scoring threat, but at least they're trying. Foligno does bring value to this team, just not on offense. Over paid? Yes, but not entirely useless.
See, they need to go a younger route. I get that those players are typically costly, but at some point you have to say "This is a huge need for us, and we should be willing to spend"

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
Yeah he's been microwaved garbage so far. I physically cringed when he fell over untouched attempting a zone entry, leading to a turnover and the shorthanded goal.

I hope he can turn it around, but he's only looked good in the pre-season to me.

Reactions: Gordoff

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

I was going to come on and ask something similar to this. These signings reek of Neely. It's just been brutal. The Tom Wilson's are unicorns in this league now. Time to give up the ghost on these wastes of cap space. Foligno actually makes Backes look like an all star. The only good thing is that there is only one year left.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yeah he's been microwaved garbage so far. I physically cringed when he fell over untouched attempting a zone entry, leading to a turnover and the shorthanded goal.

I hope he can turn it around, but he's only looked good in the pre-season to me.
He had a 2 or 3 good game run where he even scored a goal but sadly was hurt when someone fell on his leg.Give me that player is what I am hoping because it's the best we can hope for right now outside sitting him.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
See, they need to go a younger route. I get that those players are typically costly, but at some point you have to say "This is a huge need for us, and we should be willing to spend"
The problem is these guys aren't really ever available when they're young or in their prime. These players are rare, and teams tend to keep them. Who is a player that fits this mold that is a realistic trade target right now?

edit: Maybe Crouse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad