The Athletic - Boston Fluto: I am done with faceoffs in hockey

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Let's keep faceoffs and get rid of Fluto! Comparing hockey to soccer and basketball is just lame. Does he even understand strategy and the history of the game. :huh: Let's get rid of body checks, and do they really need ice in hockey? Hey, if we get rid of faceoffs, do we need centers? Oh the possibilities.:sarcasm::thumbd:

Next weeks take , let's get rid of punching in Boxing. What a putz.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wow. That is a new low. :laugh:

What the f***?

I know Fluto understands the sport better than this. The hell is he thinking? He comes across like someone who has never seen a game. I'm actually taken aback by how awful of a take this is.

Does he really though? I mean, his grandstanding farewell article from the Globe where he insinuated that he was being prevented by the powers that be from really drilling down into the nitty gritty of what makes hockey so great not withstanding, his track record of nonsense articles and bullshit hot takes that are clearly nothing more than desperate attempts to garner eyeballs, clicks, and reactions, is pretty piss poor right now. The guy writes so much idiotic crap that I'm firmly convinced he's likely never watched a game being played.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Its mind blowing how bad the "main" most writers for Bruins hockey are. There are a few good ones, but most seem more focused on writing stuff for clicks/likes and views in order to generate numbers to help sell more ad space.

Reactions: Gordoff

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Do away with faceoffs entirely.

Everywhere, as a matter of fact.

After each goal, allow the team that was scored upon to start with the puck at center ice. Soccer appears to be surviving just fine with this norm.

Let a team on the power play go right into its set pieces. If there’s a stoppage in one end, give the puck to the attacking team to begin the next shift.

Does basketball have a jump ball after each basket? Of course not.

Hockey, at all levels, has a strange fascination with faceoffs. In the NHL, I’ve heard just about every coach speak in practically dreamy terms when discussing centers who win more faceoffs than they lose.
It’s a strange way to think about what is, really, just another puck battle.

Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon (9-16—25) was the most dominant center of the postseason. MacKinnon finished at 49.1 percent. The Islanders’ Mat Barzal (5-10—15) is still getting his chances, even though he’s won only 47.7 percent of his faceoffs. Edmonton’s Connor McDavid still managed to be the best player on the planet with a 47.8 percent faceoff winning percentage.

Analysts have studied the relatively benign nature of faceoffs. They’ve concluded that faceoffs do not significantly influence goals scored. According to Michael Schuckers, professor of statistics at St. Lawrence University, 76.5 faceoff wins are required to produce a one-goal differential.
Thought I was going to hate it from the head line, but I like it. Nothing wrong with tweaking the game to get more of what’s best and less of what’s filler.

Reactions: Gordoff

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I applied for the position. They asked me what my take was on hockey to which I replied "If the NHL wants to increase scoring, they should remove the goaltending position."

They told me I was the frontrunner.

We'll see.....

Seems logical. I'd have gone with replacing the current net dimensions with those of a soccer sized goal instead, and then incorporated Flutos no face offs idea. Plus the Habs can teach the rest of the league what a soccer style flop looks like. And we can all bring our vevuzalas and chant drunken shanties. But I guess that's too far for some of the silly hockey purists. :naughty:

Reactions: BMC and lost peanut

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
While I often question the legality of many face-offs - centers not square, players encroaching, sticks not down, etc. - I am not in favor of removing them. It would eliminate key strategic elements of the game, such as handedness for left side and right side draws, putting two centers or at least two capable of winning a face-off in the defensive zone, and it removes a key facet of a good PK.

Not to mention it would eliminate buzzer-beater set plays from face-offs (remember the Kings?) and other such PP strategies; which the B's use regularly.

I'm not crazy about possession-obsessed hockey; but I do like that hockey makes teams battle for possession.

I don't think sports need to change rules just to be hip or current. That runner on second base in extra innings is asinine.

Have not watched much of any baseball this season, but this rule is just so bizarre to me. It's completely unnatural. It is just taboo-like that a runner is awarded a base without actually having to step to the plate at any point.

But I agree with you on faceoffs as well. The act of a faceoff isn't necessarily "exciting" but it is a skillful part of the game that can swing the competition one way or another. It just changes the landscape of the game way too much to "do away" with what really is a staple of the game since the beginning.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad