News Article: Fluto: Claude Julien knows Bruins need to change

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I feel better after reading this - this puts a different spin than the ESPN article.

Claude Julien knows Bruins need to change

Johnny Boychuk was traded before the start of the season. Dennis Seidenberg started the season in recovery mode from major knee surgery. Zdeno Chara injured his knee in October. Dougie Hamilton was just a third-year pro.

These factors played into the staff’s conclusion to play it safe on defense. They were methodical with their D-to-D breakouts. The defensemen rimmed the puck out behind the net and around the walls. Opponents noticed. They slammed down on the Bruins with aggressive forechecks.

In 2013-14, based on internal metrics, the Bruins had the most efficient breakouts in the league. That went away this season. Because their breakouts weren’t smooth, they didn’t generate enough speed in the neutral zone to get to their rush game. Their scoring plummeted from 3.15 goals per game in 2013-14 (No. 3 in the league) to 2.55 (No. 22).

The dropoff happened even though the number and quality of chances, according to Julien, didn’t decrease between seasons. The difference was the team’s ability to finish.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I feel better after reading this - this puts a different spin than the ESPN article.

Claude Julien knows Bruins need to change

At some point along the way, it appears Bruins' staff, and many posters on here too, have become convinced that in order for us to improve our *offense* all we need to do is improve our *defense*.

As in, after a year in which we finished in the bottom quarter of the league in scoring, everyone seems to think this terrible offense can be revived simply by better transitions out of our zone. And we can go a long way on that count. by trading Eriksson or Lucic; among our top forwards, for a mobile D.

I get that we need help on D. But there is absolutely no recognition anywhere in this article of a need to add a player with more offensive punch. The closest is this line:

The dropoff happened even though the number and quality of chances, according to Julien, didn’t decrease between seasons. The difference was the team’s ability to finish.

Ability to finish. That's right. Someone who can put the puck in the net. We didn't have a single player to finish in the top 60 point scorers in the league last year. But the article doesn't follow that thread. In the next paragraph, all it talks about is obtaining a mobile defenseman by trading Lucic/Eriksson.

So, we're going to move Lucic or Eriksson for a D and that's going to solve all of our offensive challenges? Yeah, right. Fluto is drinking too much Chiarelli Kool Aid.

Last edited:

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Clooooooooooooooode knowing that the Bruins need to change, and Clooooooooooooooode's willingness and ability to facilitate that change through adaptation of coaching style are two completely different things entirely.

I'll be surprised if Clooooooooooooooode is still behind the bench by Christmas. What Cam and Donny want and Clooooooooooooooode's coaching philosophy mix like oil and water.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Was I the only one that read the article and found it extremely interesting that Fluto came out and said that Lucic and Loui are the B's two primary trading chips this offseason, like it was common knowledge.

Weird.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Was I the only one that read the article and found it extremely interesting that Fluto came out and said that Lucic and Loui are the B's two primary trading chips this offseason, like it was common knowledge.

Weird.

Fluto's been on the trade Lucic train for awhile now.

Eriksson is a pretty logical candidate to trade whether some like it or not. Coming of a good season, decent pay, definitely a commodity and an easy sell. I think he'll be the one traded.

Definitely interesting though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad