The Athletic - Boston Fluto: 10 Bruins predictions for 2020: Could the end be near for Zdeno Chara?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
10 Bruins predictions for 2020: Could the end be near for...

1. Winger is coming

The Bruins will acquire a No. 2 right wing to play with David Krejci for the remainder of this season. This is not a recording.

2. Another Bargain deal

If Torey Krug re-ups with the only team he’s known, the term and the salary will be significantly below market price. In that way, Krug’s deal will belong in the category currently occupied by those of David Pastrnak and Brad Marchand: bargain.

3. Together again

Jaroslav Halak will sign a one-year extension with the Bruins.

4. The end for Big z?

Zdeno Chara will call it quits.

5. One way or another, David Backes will not be here

6. Waiting in the wings

Urho Vaakanainen, the team’s 2017 first-round pick, will break camp with the varsity next season, regardless of what happens with Krug and Chara.

7. The future down the middle

Ditto for Jack Studnicka, the Bruins’ 2017 second-rounder.

8. The gloves stay on

Fighting is dying organically.

9. Here to stay, and deservedly so

Connor Clifton will take a big step as the Bruins’ third-pairing right-side defenseman behind McAvoy and Brandon Carlo.

10. Breaking out, at last

Anders Bjork will start next season with double-digit goals through the calendar year of 2020.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bergeron
Krejci
Coyle
Studnicka
Kuraly
Frederic
Marchand
DeBrusk
Bjork
Kreider
Pastrnak
Wagner
Senyshyn
Kuhlman

McAvoy
Carlo
Clifton
Krug
Grzelcyk
Vaakanainen
Moore

Rask
Halak

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I thought Chara would call it at the end of the year. Now? I'm not so sure. Part of me wants him to go out on his terms either way, but that's just my sympathetic side

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Think Chara will play as long as he can contribute to an NHL club - which by my estimation is at least two more years, wouldn't rule out 4-5 (if his knees stay healthy). He's playing some of the best hockey of his career.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Z comes back
Spoke to him about Prague a few weeks ago and last trip and what a blast and thinking of going again - and let’s just say my takeaway was he wants to be there in uniform

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Spoke to him about Prague a few weeks ago and last trip and what a blast and thinking of going again - and let’s just say my takeaway was he wants to be there in uniform
Thanks for that. Good to hear. Age is a number,this guy isn’t built normal. If he can play he can play don’t care about how old he is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad