Rumor: Florida willing to take on salary for picks and prospects

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Injuries, poor play mean they won't get in this year, and a weak farm, so it makes sense to concede this year.

Lol after giving Crouse away a few months ago.

The Savard trade was horrible because they didn't use the space. I am unsure why you can laugh at the Bolland trade now, because if he comes back say next year Florida might have been screwed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Panthers have a good goalie in Luongo.

Good (but a little brittle) centre depth in Barkov, Bjugstad, and Trochek.

Good wingers in Huberdeau, Smith, and an aging Jagr....

On paper the defense is good and they have a #1 D in Ekblad...so in theory they have everything you'd want in a team to contend for a cup but maybe wing needs an upgrade...

Yep. They need winger help.

Jagr/Jokinen/McCann/Griffith taking 3/4 top6 winger spots isn't pretty.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Edmonton would like to move a few . Cost to do so on each player is ?

Pouliot ?
Fayne ?
Eberle but we would need something coming back in a RW or RHD . We will probably just keep him unless it worth it for us to move on

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Pouliot ?
Fayne ?
Eberle but we would need something coming back in a RW or RHD . New will probably just keep him unless it worth it for us to move on

Is Slepy on the table from Edm?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Pouliot ?
Fayne ?
Eberle but we would need something coming back in a RW or RHD . New will probably just keep him unless it worth it for us to move on

I don't think Florida wants contracts past this season, they're only conceding this year. A name like Kunitz would make sense (not that I think Pit would trade him).

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal

Pouliot ?
Fayne ?

Just curious and out from the left field, would you swap Eberle for Beaulieu? We could add someone like Andrighetto to fill his spot for the remainder of the season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If I was a player, I'd be worrying about my escrow payments if Florida is willing to take money on long-term.

I think they know they are out if they aren't getting Barkov back. His situation is very unclear right now.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If one team trades a player and retains 50% on him with term remaining, and then the 2nd team buys him out, how does that work in terms of who pays what?

Does each team then have to pay 2/3 of half his salary for double the term remaining?

Does team 1 still owe him half and team 2 only pays 2/3rds of their 50% for double the term?

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
Ladd will be given a new chance with Weight the rest of the year, and he has a NMC he is going nowhere.

You're probably right, but of all places to waive for florida would be it. Gets to live in the sunshine state and keep more of his money cause of the tax differences. If he hasn't fit in yet he may never fit in and if he realizes that maybe he'd want to move.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Beat me to it. Yes yes, Dan Girardi please. We'll give you Ryan Graves and a 2nd rounder too.

I doubt Girardi gets moved. I don't think any team will want him. My thinking was Staal should he come back soon. While he's overpaid, at least he still is a decent hockey player. Not sure what FLA LHD situation looks like though.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013

Pouliot ?
Fayne ?

What about something based around Eberle for Matheson? Not sure how high Panthers fans are on him. He's a lefty but poentially a real good puck mover/PP guy. Something Edmonton is lacking

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Just curious and out from the left field, would you swap Eberle for Beaulieu? We could add someone like Andrighetto to fill his spot for the remainder of the season.

No chance.. Oilers wont be protecting a Beaulieu and are more than set at LD spot.

As for the OP..there really arent many teams cap strapped enough to give away quality picks just to rid themselves of an already expiring contract

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Does this mean Florida is "out" of the play-off race? Looking at the standings, it does seem fairly unlikely for them. Ottawa is up 2 pts with 4 games in hand. Not impossible, but maybe unlikely. If Florida considers themselves out, it would also mean Tampa Bay is out. As is Detroit. Could really start opening up the trade market.

I could only wish Tampa would be out. There still like 2 pts out of third or something close to that. There eventually gonna get it going here. They'll go on a run and be in the playoffs with Stamkos back. As a habs fan I dread this because our defense as it is will not match up well there at all.kucherov, Johnson, palate, druin, Stamkos will have a field day.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Saw this on Sportsnet yesterday or the day before, but didn't get a chance to post it before and just remembered it. Can't find it anywhere online either.

Chris Johnston was on Sportsnet and said that the Florida Panthers are open for business and given their cap space ($17 million+), he said that the Panthers were willing to take on big expiring contracts in order to help other teams near the cap out, in exchange for picks and/or prospects. He didn't rule out Florida acquiring big salaries with term, as well, but said that it would be more difficult as the Panthers have some big contract extensions kicking in next season (Reilly Smith goes from $3.4M to $5M, while Ekblad goes from his ELC to $6.35M).

all contracts need to be expiring

Panthers can only due this due to injured they have had

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Losing Gudbransons toughness and leadership has had a bigger effect than anticipated. This according to Friedman. He also said Tallon is looking to immediately correct trading those guys by finding players like then. Guddy and Kulikov

Bjornar Moxnes

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Saw this on net yesterday or the day before, but didn't get a chance to post it before and just remembered it. Can't find it anywhere online either.

Chris Johnston was on net and said that the Florida Panthers are open for business and given their cap space ($17 million+), he said that the Panthers were willing to take on big expiring contracts in order to help other teams near the cap out, in exchange for picks and/or . He didn't rule out Florida acquiring big salaries with term, as well, but said that it would be more difficult as the Panthers have some big contract extensions kicking in next season (Reilly Smith goes from $3.4M to $5M, while Ekblad goes from his ELC to $6.35M).

Bobby Ryan and Andreas Englund for a decent prospect and a conditional 2nd. Ryan has a horrible contract, but he's not purely negative value YET.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Pouliot ?
Fayne ?

all contracts need to end

Panthers have 3 contracts starting next year that adds 17 mill to their cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad