TSN: Florida was in on Stone, thought they could sign him long-term

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Interesting article on TSN: https://www.tsn.ca/tallon-on-stone-we-made-a-good-offer-just-not-good-enough-i-guess-1.1264147

Tallon said Stone would not have been a rental in Florida, either.

So Tallon clearly got an indication from Stone's camp that he would have signed an extension there, too. This leads me to believe one of two things:

1. The situation in Ottawa is so dire, and the belief in management so low, that home-grown players would prefer to play for the Panthers
2. The "offers" that we made Stone weren't close in money, term and/or structure to market value

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Interesting article on TSN: https://www.tsn.ca/tallon-on-stone-we-made-a-good-offer-just-not-good-enough-i-guess-1.1264147

This leads me to believe one of two things:

1. The situation in Ottawa is so dire, and the belief in management so low, that home-grown players would prefer to play for the Panthers
2. The "offers" that we made Stone weren't close in money, term and/or structure to market value

Or they planned to let him go a long time ago. I am calling BS on the "we tried" from Dorion.

mattlef

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto, ON
www.youtube.com
Ottawa can match term and $$ - but what they cannot match is the structure.
That is the key part to these deals now - and its entirely due to EM's constant need to restructure his debt (because hes broke). If he has these massive signing bonuses on the books, they're a huge liability that cant spread along the term of the loan - meaning that he would be less likely to find creditors willing to take on the risk.

That, in itself, is exactly why we lost Stone, Duchene and Karlsson.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Or they planned to let him go a long time ago. I am calling BS on the "we tried" from Dorion.
The more I think about it the more I am open to thinking the plan was to always trade Stone. This stemming back way before the trade deadline. Stone kept things hush hush to "help" the Sens by not decreasing his value by making it known that he wanted out.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I honestly think Eugene said "Everyone must go". I get that that's decently warm take because it means all of this negotiating they've done is in bad faith, but part of me believes that was the order from day 1.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I can't think of anything FLA could have given up the would be better than Brannstrom.

Grigori Denisenko was rated the #2 NHL affiliated prospect by TSN in January (Brannstrom was 11 on the same list), so he would have been enticing, although I doubt Florida would have offered him up.

Other than that, Borgstrom/Heponiemi/Tippett + 2019 1st would have been close, considering that 1st is likely a top 12 pick.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Ottawa can match term and $$ - but what they cannot match is the structure.
That is the key part to these deals now - and its entirely due to EM's constant need to restructure his debt (because hes broke). If he has these massive signing bonuses on the books, they're a huge liability that cant spread along the term of the loan - meaning that he would be less likely to find creditors willing to take on the risk.

That, in itself, is exactly why we lost Stone, Duchene and Karlsson.

Florida is in a worse financial state than Ottawa. Stone didn’t sign because he thought management was a gong show. Simple as that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion already got pantsed once with Hoffman playing in the division.

I'm sure he wanted fan-favourite and all-around beast Mark Stone as far away as possible.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I'm sure he wanted fan-favourite and all-around beast Mark Stone as far away as possible.

Because when you're a rebuilding, basement dweller, it's important to not have your former players playing in town one time less than they would out West.

Priorities.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Stone was willing to sign in multiple places, we should have gotten more.

This could be true, but it's all conjecture if Stone wasn't made to talk to FLA.

Tallon saying we think we could have signed Stone to me just sounds like we could have matched VGK's terms.

If we find out that Stone was given permission to talk to multiple teams, multiple teams agreed on terms, and we still only got Brannstrom and a 2nd (oh and Lindberg...) then yes, we should have gotten a lot more. Though, I'd be surprised if the situation played out that way.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Well, hopefully not. Take the best offer in run. (I do think that all things considering, Brannstrom is the best that we could have expected, though).

The real question that should worry all Sens fans though is the thought that Mark Stone would have signed with the god damn Florida Panthers but he wouldn't/couldn't sign to stay here. That's as big a red flag as I've ever seen.

I get Vegas. I'd get Winnipeg, or Calgary. Hell, I'd rather be a fan of those teams than Ottawa.

But Florida? Florida!?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The real question that should worry all Sens fans though is the thought that Mark Stone would have signed with the god damn Florida Panthers but he wouldn't/couldn't sign to stay here. That's as big a red flag as I've ever seen.

You're finding a new red flag while you're floating hip deep in a swimming pool filled with red flags.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Florida is in a worse financial state than Ottawa. Stone didn’t sign because he thought management was a gong show. Simple as that.

Many people say this but Florida fans say differently. Apparently they rake in good cash because of events and ownership of the surrounding area next to the arena so their financial status is fine.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
CTC is profitable too. They make good money from events and the huge rent they get from the Sens.

But I believe the Panthers ownership also has development they own next to the arena too that brings in good cash. I just think the Panther fans know what theyre talking about since they follow the team the closest.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But I believe the Panthers ownership also has development they own next to the arena too that brings in good cash. I just think the Panther fans know what theyre talking about since they follow the team the closest.

I imagine they cater to a larger population base as well.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

So Tallon clearly got an indication from Stone's camp that he would have signed an extension there, too. This leads me to believe one of two things:

This also leads me to believe Stone has had enough of the northeastern cold winters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad