Proposal: Florida - Toronto blockbuster!

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Just for fun. I dont expect Florida to do this and most Toronto fans wont probably like it either, even if they get the best player in the deal.

Toronto get:

Barkov (5,9M signed 4 more years)

Yandle (6,35M signed 5 more years)

Sebastian Repo (good sized prospect powerforward)

12,25M

Florida get:

Kadri (4,5M signed 4more years)

Nylander (RFA most likely 5-5,5M range or 3-3,5M bridge)

Gardiner (4,050M 1 more year til UFA)

Toronto 1st 2018

Toronto conditional 2nd 2019 (if getting to conference final)

Why Florida does it - Trocheck can handle 1st line C, they get Kadri to play 2C and get a top6 winger in Nylander. Gardiner is worse than Yandle at this point but Yandles contract is IMo too long for his age

Why Toronto does it - Getting Barkov would give Toronto the best 1-2 punch at C in the league. It would also make their PK even better. Yandle is an upgrade over Gardiner atm 5on5 and on the PP is where Yandle is the best. This move would make Leafs a contender straight away.

Thoughts?

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd trade a lot (including potentially both Nylander + Kadri) for Barkov. But i would not add a 1st, 2nd, and Gardiner. That's just ridiculous.

Not a huge interest in Yandle, and I know he's really only there to balance the contracts.

Also, I doubt Florida entertains even thinking about trading Barkov.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Barkov is also in year 2/7 of what's probably at this moment the best contract in the league (based on now and future).

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Don't want any part of that Yandle contract. He is already 31 and not going to be worth his 6.35 million in a few years.

Also Leafs don't need another offensively focused defender.

Pass, Leafs don't gut the team to add to a position of strength (center)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Barkov is also in year 2/7 of what's probably at this moment the best contract in the league (based on now and future).

Schiefele probably beats him out for value, but yeah. He's definitely up there.

There's a lot coming from Toronto, but Florida can't move Barkov.

Reactions: TS Quint

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The Leafs don't want to pay the price for Barkov when we have Matthews. The Panthers also have every right to tell us to pound sand. That package from the Leafs is exorbitant, but the Panthers are going to keep Barkov like they darn well should.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Don't want any part of that Yandle contract. He is already 31 and not going to be worth his 6.35 million in a few years.

Also Leafs don't need another offensively focused defender.

Pass, Leafs don't gut the team to add to a position of strength (center)

This deal would be good for the Leafs short-term. I admit that longterm Yandle contract will hurt, but when was the last time you had a chance to contend? Barkov also comes with a sweetheart contract like no other. Matthews-Barkov is actually better combo than Crosby-Malkin or McDavic-Draisaitl. If you could get Barkov for that package I bet babcock would be pumped up as hell for the playoffs...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I give ya part marks for attempting to replace a center, add top 6 forward as well as a 1st but Barkov is thee untouchable on our team.

I'd maybe think it about it in NHL 18 but in reality, it's a NO.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
This deal would be good for the Leafs short-term. I admit that longterm Yandle contract will hurt, but when was the last time you had a chance to contend? Barkov also comes with a sweetheart contract like no other. Matthews-Barkov is actually better combo than Crosby-Malkin or McDavic-Draisaitl. If you could get Barkov for that package I bet babcock would be pumped up as hell for the playoffs...
That is an absolutely insane package that probably makes the Leafs worse in the short term.... Kadri is replaced by Barkov (upgrade), Yandle replaces Gardiner (questionable upgrade, especially long term), no one replaces Nylander.

I just don't think Barkov would be given the minutes in Toronto (he would have to play 2C) that he would in Florida so he probably wouldn't have as big an impact here. He is an amazing player tbf.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The Cats won't trade Barkov and the Leafs don't want Yandle.

Florida would be so stupid to trade Sasha but a 1/2 punch of Matthews, Barkov would be ridiculous. It would be like an old school combo out of the Western Conference.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That is an absolutely insane package that probably makes the Leafs worse in the short term.... Kadri is replaced by Barkov (upgrade), Yandle replaces Gardiner (questionable upgrade, especially long term), no one replaces Nylander.

I just don't think Barkov would be given the minutes in Toronto (he would have to play 2C) that he would in Florida so he probably wouldn't have as big an impact here. He is an amazing player tbf.

Conversely, he isnt matching up against other teams best lines/defensive match ups anymore, since Matthews will be drawing all of those.

That said - Toronto shouldnt make this trade.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Conversely, he isnt matching up against other teams best lines/defensive match ups anymore, since Matthews will be drawing all of those.

That said - Toronto shouldnt make this trade.
Ya but he would be asked to play a more shutdown role than he would be playing now, getting a lot more defensive zone starts. Also wouldn't have the best linemates (he would be with Komarov lol).

Just doesn't seem like good use of a player of Barkov's calibe

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ya but he would be asked to play a more shutdown role than he would be playing now, getting a lot more defensive zone starts. Also wouldn't have the best linemates (he would be with Komarov lol).

Completely agree - but I dont think Toronto would acquire Barkov with the intent of relegating him to Shutdown duties. Some tough assignments depending on the team, sure. But i imagine a move like this would be predicating on going out and finding a legit 3C.

But think of some of the teams in the Atlantic with not so great center depth, where the teams best center has to go against Matthews - barkov would have a feast.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Completely agree - but I dont think Toronto would acquire Barkov with the intent of relegating him to Shutdown duties. Some tough assignments depending on the team, sure. But i imagine a move like this would be predicating on going out and finding a legit 3C.

But think of some of the teams in the Atlantic with not so great center depth, where the teams best center has to go against Matthews - barkov would have a feast.
Ya they would probably completely change the structure of the team to make Barkov play more of a Malkin role but that involves a lot of changes and trades.

If I'm the Leafs and I'm trading Nylander+Kadri+1st I probably want a young #1 defender coming back but at the same time Leafs would need a #2C back too..

In any case I can't see a trade that includes Kadri and Nylander in the same trade. Would ruin Leafs potential center depth as i think Willy ends up a center. Looks way more engaged when he plays through the middle

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

Why not play Matthews & Barkov 20 mins each, and split the last 20 mins between the 3rd and 4th line.

Both players are big, young, defensively responsible centres that can go head to head against anyone in the league

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ya they would probably completely change the structure of the team to make Barkov play more of a Malkin role but that involves a lot of changes and trades.

If I'm the Leafs and I'm trading Nylander+Kadri+1st I probably want a young #1 defender coming back but at the same time Leafs would need a #2C back too..

In any case I can't see a trade that includes Kadri and Nylander in the same trade. Would ruin Leafs potential center depth as i think Willy ends up a center. Looks way more engaged when he plays through the middle

Right, i don't think this is a good move for the leafs - as it doesn't address the more pressing need. Its using prime assets to upgrade a position of strength, which usually isnt a good idea.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I`d imagine it would be:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner/Kapanen
Marleau-Barkov-Kapanen/marner
JvR-Bozak-Brown
Komarov-Moore-Leivo

Barkov plays PK and also PP would be lethal:

JvR/Marleau-Matthews-Barkov
Yandle-Rielly

Not to mention how good Barky is at shootouts...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I`d imagine it would be:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner/Kapanen
Marleau-Barkov-Kapanen/marner
JvR-Bozak-Brown
Komarov-Moore-Leivo

Barkov plays PK and also PP would be lethal:

JvR/Marleau-Matthews-Barkov
Yandle-Rielly

Not to mention how good Barky is at shootouts...

That's great. How about this for a size...

Hyman - McCann - Marner
Marleau - Malgin - Kapanen
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Leivo

Looks pretty good, eh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad