Post-Series Talk: Florida Panthers defeat the Boston Bruins 4-2, advance to ECF

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yea. ESPN. Located in Connecticut which is a New England sports stronghold. They wanted the panthers over a Boston v. New York series. Both the league and ESPN would be thrilled with the ratings giant that matchup would have been.

FWIW ESPN is in Bristol CT, just west of Hartford. Connecticut from Hartford points west has a lot of NYC influence and money in it. I have relatives there, many bars have Yankees, Rangers, Mets and Islanders paraphernalia in them. It's mixed at best Boston-NY fans

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Yea. ESPN. Located in Connecticut which is a New England sports stronghold. They wanted the panthers over a Boston v. New York series. Both the league and ESPN would be thrilled with the ratings giant that matchup would have been.

Not so much Panthers themselves, but name Thachuk is what has given Florida most of love they've received. Boston is not huge story-line like they've been in past, and with ECF already having huge TV/Fan market with Rangers. NHL/E$PN doesn't have much need for Boston fans this season, and Boston fan are not use to being on this end of stick at all (Was funny to watch this, and it's nothing personal Boston fans, but it was funny).

It happens, it just business and it's no big deal really. Every team/player just has to take advantage of favorable winds ,when they're blowing ones way, like any sea-captain would do. Lightning even got some favorable series management winds in game 3 -vs- Florida, but they did not take advantage of those favorable winds. Like I said, it happens...

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

Naw. Bounces and calls kept the bruins alive in this series. The meltdown over the goalie interference call in game 4 really impacted how this series was viewed. Panthers were the much better team.

I would say Swayman several times before pointing to “bounces and calls”. He was unreal.
The Bs fans’ certainty that the ref’s all conspire against them seemed to mpact how this series was viewed more than anything else.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I would say Swayman several times before pointing to “bounces and calls”. He was unreal.
The Bs fans’ certainty that the ref’s all conspire against them seemed to mpact how this series was viewed more than anything else.
I am certain that the Bruins waited far too long to string together anything resembling a complete game. That’s the difference. Florida was just better

Reactions: Chaos2k7

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The idea that ESPN and TNT wanted Florida/NYR instead of Boston/NYR is fantasy land. Bruins/Rangers would have been a ratings bonanza, and they would have actually had two teams they could do quasi-home broadcasts for.

Some people are ??? confused.

Think about how much Swayman related fellatio material they're going to have to throw out now.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

Naw. Bounces and calls kept the bruins alive in this series. The meltdown over the goalie interference call in game 4 really impacted how this series was viewed. Panthers were the much better team.

Series was fairly close aside from games 2-4 when the Bruins showed up for ~15mins of each game there.
So yeah, this graphic looks fairly accurate haha

There will be lots of discussion of the refs/league but when you get dominated 3 games in a row and have trouble shooting/scoring you’re not gonna beat the Panthers. Simple as that.

Serious would have been over in 4 if it wasn’t for Swayman.

Panthers/Rangers is gonna be a fun one to watch

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Next time Pasta does a Dunkin' commercial wonder if he mentions they have no center.
1716040128112.png

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
The series was everything we've come to love about playoff hockey. Congrats to the Panthers and the Bruins will be back! Enjoyed it, loved Swayman's play!

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I think Boston will make a trade or sign a top 6 center. They will be back. You guys are a top 6 center or two away from contending again.
ALso trade Ullmark..Swayman is getting paid, rightfuly so.

I think we're in a pretty good position actually.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Congrats Florida and their fans, 8 wins down and 8 more to go for "Cup". Solid team, that's deep, and has goalie playing very well. Lightning fans are suppose to hate our instate rival, but wouldn't mind seeing Cats win "Cup" at all. Florida has been close a few times, have had good teams, and have paid their dues: It'd be great to see Panthers organization & their fans rewarded for this! The same with Rangers here, both teams are "Cup" worthy without question. Truly wish all fan-bases could experience "Cup" run but not every team gets a trophy. Teams have to go earn their stripes!!!!

The other side of coin: NHL/E$PN got what they wanted..... New York Rangers -vs- Florida Tkachuk's in ECF. Florida has gotten more favorable love from NHL/E$PN during both their playoff journey's, but that's sport environment one as to track through today, What's the saying? "Don't hate the player, hate the game!" Still, this past series had to be weird for Boston fans with them being on other side of ref-coin this time around. No matter what type of water any lake/ocean/swamp has within, one has to adjust their swimming if they want to successfully swim across. Do that, and one increases odds of swimming to other side of lake/ocean/swamp. Complaining about waters, not adjusting swimming methods, and you name it. There's good odds one will sink to bottom! To be fair, Panthers and Rangers are the best two teams in East this season. They're both Championship worthy teams, that will most likely overcome any water type in front of them. But...... that is what makes watching #1 BS stuff so frustrating at times. The #1 BS antics wasn't needed, but we'll never know how an unhanded series/games would've gone. Will we?

Regardless, Rangers -vs- Panthers should make for an interesting series (Especially with these two goalies battling). Just hope NHL/E$PN just lets this series play out without player favoritism, #1 BS $$$ tactics, and the famous game/series management leagues are known for today. Here's to good, hard fought, injury free, and a series without any #1 BS skewing outcomes.

Good luck Panthers. enjoy the ride!!!!

You clearly didn’t want the 2019 Final if you think it’s weird for Boston to be on the other side of referring.

Reactions: BB79

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Was there ever any doubt? General consensus knew that Toronto or Boston was going to get run over.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I am certain that the Bruins waited far too long to string together anything resembling a complete game. That’s the difference. Florida was just better
I feel the same way about the Panthers not stringing together...a complete game.
I think that’s mostly a testament to the opposition, and how hard fought these games were.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
FWIW ESPN is in Bristol CT, just west of Hartford. Connecticut from Hartford points west has a lot of NYC influence and money in it. I have relatives there, many bars have Yankees, Rangers, Mets and Islanders paraphernalia in them. It's mixed at best Boston-NY fans
ESPN woulda been boning out over BOS/NY. They’re like 50 miles away from each LoL.
2 Huge markets/fan bases for solid ratings, almost zero travel expenses...

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Respect in the handshake line.
No. No. No.

That is just not fair. Toronto started and earned the “handshake line respect” metric. Takes a special kind of team to fight for that award.

So while it’s very kind of you to try to honor us with that compliment we must respectfully decline. Say what you will about Boston but we don’t fight hard enough or care enough about respect in the line to be given that award.

Fair is fair. It’s Toronto’s title and we are just NOT worthy of same. Maybe one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad