Proposal: Florida - Anaheim (Lindholm for Montour and Tippett)

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
to FLA: Lindholm ($1m retained)
to ANA: Montour, Tippett

Is this fair? Does Florida need to add? If the Ducks are looking at moving on from all three of Lindholm, Manson, and Rakkell, is this attractive?

Montour used to play for the Ducks, and he can return as a needed RHD. His contract has two more years after this one at $3.5m. Looks like other than Terry and Silfverberg, Anaheim doesn't have a lot of options at RW. Could Tippett be of interest?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No, we don’t have a spot for Montour with Drysdale, Shattenkirk, and it’s starting to sound like Manson wants to sign an extension

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Tippet and a 1st round pick?

Ducks can retain 50% on Lindholm.

No need for Montour.
You would need to take Vatrano too (for cap reasons), but he can probably be flipped for a mid-round pick himself.

Also, we don't have our 1st this year, but I'd be willing to give up the 2023 1st if it means getting another top 3 D. How has Lindholm's defense been this year? Do you think he'd succeed on a top pair with Ekblad (poor skater, offense first mindset).

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Admittedly, I haven't watched Lindholm this year, but I have heard Anaheim fans are really unhappy with his play. Just based on the stats, he looks like he's been a very solid top 4 d-man for them this year. Number one or two on his blueline in nearly every stat you'd look for with the exception of two:

His relative corsi is unimpressive, and Expected +/- is horrendous. What's going on? Could somebody whose watched him provide insight?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Admittedly, I haven't watched Lindholm this year, but I have heard Anaheim fans are really unhappy with his play. Just based on the stats, he looks like he's been a very solid top 4 d-man for them this year. Number one or two on his blueline in nearly every stat you'd look for with the exception of two:

His relative corsi is unimpressive, and Expected +/- is horrendous. What's going on? Could somebody whose watched him provide insight?
He is the Ducks best player. No idea what you're talking about, some had started to sour on him maybe because he hasn't committed to the team but he is easily a top 3 player for the Ducks. I personally think he is #1A with Gibson (when Gibson is engaged) the way the whole team has been playing recently is flashbacks to last season when everyone basically stopped skating hard so it's hard to judge any Duck player right now. Even if the Ducks find a great trade no one will be able to replace Lindholm and the Ducks are going to be a lot worse for a while if they move him. He's been paired with 19 year old Drysdale who in my opinion is in way over his head currently imo.

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
He is the Ducks best player. No idea what you're talking about, some had started to sour on him maybe because he hasn't committed to the team but he is easily a top 3 player for the Ducks. I personally think he is #1A with Gibson (when Gibson is engaged) the way the whole team has been playing recently is flashbacks to last season when everyone basically stopped skating hard so it's hard to judge any Duck player right now. Even if the Ducks find a great trade no one will be able to replace Lindholm and the Ducks are going to be a lot worse for a while if they move him.

Do you know if him and Forsling have ever played together internationally or in junior leagues?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The best thing about Hampus Lindholm is you can play him with almost any type of defensemen and he will be great. He can play with defensive defensemen, offensive defensemen, shitty defensemen, transition defensemen. He is just an all around stud. Ducks are going to have a HUGE spot to fill if he doesn't re-sign. Out of anyone on the team he is the most important imo even more than Gibson, when he is out of the lineup we look like a completely different team.

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
The best thing about Hampus Lindholm is you can play him with almost any type of defensemen and he will be great. He can play with defensive defensemen, offensive defensemen, shitty defensemen, transition defensemen. He is just an all around stud. Ducks are going to have a HUGE spot to fill if he doesn't re-sign.

It'd either be one of Ekblad or Weegar.

Forsling - Ekblad
Lindholm - Weegar

or

Lindholm - Ekblad
Forsling - Weegar

Either or would be elite.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Do you know if him and Forsling have ever played together internationally or in junior leagues?
This is easy enough for us to look up.
Cursory search shows that Lindholm has never played with Forsling or Carlsson, but he did play a few games as Hornqvist's teammate for Sweden between 2016 and 2018.

Reactions: BillyZito

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
The best thing about Hampus Lindholm is you can play him with almost any type of defensemen and he will be great. He can play with defensive defensemen, offensive defensemen, shitty defensemen, transition defensemen. He is just an all around stud. Ducks are going to have a HUGE spot to fill if he doesn't re-sign. Out of anyone on the team he is the most important imo even more than Gibson, when he is out of the lineup we look like a completely different team.
If he's that good, could the Panthers actually get him for a 1st, Tippett, and Vatrano?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If he's that good, could the Panthers actually get him for a 1st, Tippett, and Vatrano?

He's an impending UFA, and new GM Verbeek swears he won't let him walk for free. So if they can't work out a contract before the trade deadline, he will be moved for the most attractive offer.

Personally I don't think Tippett + 1st + Vatrano would be the best offer, though I've never been overly high on Tippett to be honest. If you swapped him out for another good prospect, it's probably in the right neighborhood.

Unfortunately when it comes to impending UFA star players, if they are set on testing the market and not willing to discuss an extension, the trade return isn't likely going to be anywhere close to what they'd be worth with term.

1st + good prospect or maybe two 1sts, hard to expect more from any rental, as good as they might be. Hopefully the Ducks can pull the full coup and trade him for a decent haul before signing him back this summer.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe, he's a rental. He's a very good rental, but not an absolutely top of the line rental - it's not a prime Hossa/Kovalchuk situation. On that note, even prime Hossa/Kovalchuk, when they were dealt on expiring deals, didn't return much more than this.

Tippett is a quality young player with significant upside, along with a 1st that's about the price you normally see for a rental of about Lindholm's quality. i.e. last trade deadline, the top deals where the main piece was an expiring contract were:
  • Taylor Hall and Lazar for Bjork and a 2nd
    • Though, this was underpayment for Hall as he controlled his destination
  • Foligno (75% retained) and Noesen for a 1st and two 4ths
    • Overpayment, especially as he ended up getting injured
  • David Savard (75% retained) for a 1st, 3rd and 4th
  • Palmieri and Zajac for a 1st and some spare parts
  • Mike Reilly for a 3rd
  • Brandon Montour for a 3rd
  • Eric Staal for a 3rd and 5th
  • Rittich (50% retained) for a 3rd
I think those were the only expiring deals to bring back a 3rd or better? Tippett + 1st is a better return than any of those got, though Lindholm is also better than any of them but Hall (who was so cheap because he had control, and wouldn't accept a trade to many teams). But it feels about right value wise to me - maybe a touch light, but close.

I'm curious - what trade deadline rentals, ever, have brought in a return way higher than Tippett and a 1st? Has it ever happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: kerrabria

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

This is the post I was expecting to read about Lindholm which is why I was shocked above to see a poster agree to a trade for Tippett and a 1st only lol.

Reactions: bsu

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4