GDT: flocar

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
maybe not having a 3rd string goalie next time
Naw, I would play the third pairing more than the 11 minutes Bear got and the 14 Cole had. The first two pairs were gassed by the end of the third and had nothing for the overtime. Cole and Bear haven't hurt the team at all this season for the most part.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Naw, I would play the third pairing more than the 11 minutes Bear got and the 14 Cole had. The first two pairs were gassed by the end of the third and had nothing for the overtime. Cole and Bear haven't hurt the team at all this season for the most part.

Bear's looked really bad since he came back from the protocol. Don't know if it affected him more than what was let on, or if the time off just caused some rust to build up.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Bear's looked really bad since he came back from the protocol. Don't know if it affected him more than what was let on, or if the time off just caused some rust to build up.

Agree, not sure if it’s a Covid hangover, conditioning or maybe a nagging injury, Bear has played like poo the since coming back. I wonder if it is conditioning, as I want to say he was stuck in a hotel room for his 10 protocol days while Pesce and TDA were able to skate in Raleigh during their protocol. Pesce and TDA seem to be showing no ill effects from their Covid layoff.

What they end up doing with Bear will be interesting. He can’t be happy with getting less than 15mins a game, but keeping him in that role lowers the value of his next contract, which the brain trust may want to gamble on - getting him signed long term at a low aav while expecting him to eventually play top 4 minutes.

Last edited:

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Bear is legit the Defenseman version of Foegele...shows what he's capable of from time to time but something just seems to be holding him back from doing it consistently
One thing I like about Bear is that, from what I see, he gives 100% effort. He’s made some questionable plays but none of them were lazy or lacked effort.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Bear is legit the Defenseman version of Foegele...shows what he's capable of from time to time but something just seems to be holding him back from doing it consistently

I think there are a lot of players like that in the NHL that can play at a high level for periods of time, but not consistently. It's what separates players like Aho and Necas. Necas can be the best player on the ice one night, and the next look like a beer league wonder boy.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Glad to see they came back for the point but I was getting frustrated that at the end they seemed to start looking to get cute with extra passes a few times. They’d beaten Bob clean on three shots (one excellent screen). Wanted to see more straight up shots and fewer fancy looks.

Reactions: geehaad

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
AG was joking on his podcast that Bear is POed that the Canes left him stranded in a hotel room for 2 weeks while they rode to the rescue of the other fellas.

He's also been speculating about the effects of contract negotiations on Necas and Tro. I could see how it could psychologically kill the enthusiasm even if only for a few games. Alternatively, Nino seems to be taking a different approach. Having seen how their peers have been dealt with over the years, it has to be stressful and distracting.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It was a team effort in the loss (negative of course) but as many have noted, we gained a point.

It wasn't just Lyon playing meh (an expected goal against of 3.54) but rather Cats dominating in zone & playing much more physical. Bob kept us in the game with some soft play (their fan base was pissed at their D & Bob btw) with an expected goals against of 1.97. The bright side to watching Cats play is that although their D is physical they make too many mistakes and should be vulnerable in the playoffs (unless they solidify by trade deadline)

As I mentioned earlier, our C's were just awful last night & Barkov (ie 21 FOs, won 2/3) as always was dominant against us (but not as bad as last year....he seems a little off)

In FOs, only Tro was above 50% with Staal & Stephan each at 29% (Staal had 14 FOs) & Aho at 47%.

I also was disappointed that we let the Cats dictate play & we were much too passive against them. For a big home game, I would have expected much more physical play and outside of a few hits we just didn't see it.

We also gave up too many odd-man rushes (and also versus Calgary) and against the Cats, Bolts, Avs, etc. that is playing with fire. Rustiness perhaps, but it needs to be fixed.

Necas looks lost and I wonder if the concussion he had earlier in the year has either made him guy shy or just impacting his play.

Finally, Canes won't win if Staal plays this dismally. Frankly, if this is all we can get from him, I'd move him in a trade &/or bring up Drury with JK as the new Center (yeah I know, Captain & leader but.....).

Rant out.....

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It was the back end of a back to back after they hadn't played for a week, against maybe the other best team in the eastern conference, playing their third string goalie, and they still got a point.

The best teams lose sometimes. There are always things to improve. I'm happy with the point. Delighted, in fact.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Epistemological is a nice midpoint between historical and historic. Presto! Nobody driven hysteric.
I was just trying to be funny about how hard it was for me to understand "epistemological" and I'm still not sure it counts. Yea I get the difference to existential but still... ah well. Maybe epistemology has its place. Who am I to tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad