OT: Flint OHL team quits after coaching staff fired (SN)

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/reports-players-walk-out-on-ohls-flint-firebirds/

Players on the OHL’s Flint Firebirds have walked out on the team following the firing of its coaches, according to various reports.

As first reported by OHL Insiders, after the Firebirds rallied back from a 3-1 deficit to defeat the Oshawa Generals on Sunday, the club let go of its coaches prompting players to “march†up to the management offices and quit.

The website asserts that the root of the firings come from the lack of playing time head coach John Gruden allotted to Hakon Nilsen, son of club owner Rolf Nilson.

According to Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek, the players and organization are in a “stalemate,†with the Firebirds’ next game scheduled for Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Saw this on the main board too, and it had me lurking in the OHL forum for the very first time.

Totally silly question, probably, but do we have prospects playing there? I looked through the roster on their site, and didn't see any names that rang a bell except for someone named DiCarlo, but that was because of Brandon Carlo. Wikipedia didn't show any prospects that we drafted, either.

Did a little investigating, and the site says that Rolf Nilsen is the governor. Don't know if that means he's the "owner" that the article talks about. But according to the Firebirds' site as well, someone named HÃ¥kon Nilsen plays there.

Pretty amazing story, and sounds like a stand-up kid to me, if he's essentially saying, "Dad, shut up, you don't need to fire coaches to get me more ice time; I'm happy as-is."

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The website asserts that the root of the firings come from the lack of playing time head coach John Gruden allotted to Hakon Nilsen, son of club owner Rolf Nilson.

According to Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek, the players and organization are in a “stalemate,†with the Firebirds’ next game scheduled for Friday.

At least he won't have issues getting playing time now.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Saw this on the main board too, and it had me lurking in the OHL forum for the very first time.

Totally silly question, probably, but do we have prospects playing there? I looked through the roster on their site, and didn't see any names that rang a bell except for someone named DiCarlo, but that was because of Brandon Carlo. Wikipedia didn't show any prospects that we drafted, either.

Great site...
Bruins dfraft history:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004919.html
Sample entry:
2015 Entry 13 1 Jakub Zboril D Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]
2015 Entry 14 1 Jake DeBrusk L Swift Current Broncos [WHL]
2015 Entry 15 1 Zachary Senyshyn R Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL]
2015 Entry 37 2 Brandon Carlo D Tri-City Americans [WHL]
2015 Entry 45 2 Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson C Omaha Lancers [USHL]
2015 Entry 52 2 Jeremy Lauzon D Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL]
2015 Entry 75 3 Daniel Vladar G Kladno Jrs. (Czech Rep.)
2015 Entry 105 4 Jesse Gabrielle L Regina Pats [WHL]
2015 Entry 165 6 Cameron Hughes C U. of Wisconsin [Big-10]
2015 Entry 195 7 Jack Becker C Mahtomedi (Minn. H.S.)

Hockey 'Morning Report' -- standings / stats for all major leagues:
http://www.hockeydb.com/scoreboard/

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Did a little investigating, and the site says that Rolf Nilsen is the governor. Don't know if that means he's the "owner" that the article talks about. But according to the Firebirds' site as well, someone named HÃ¥kon Nilsen plays there.

Pretty amazing story, and sounds like a stand-up kid to me, if he's essentially saying, "Dad, shut up, you don't need to fire coaches to get me more ice time; I'm happy as-is."

Did you read the post above yours?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Pretty sure I'm confusing him with someone else, but is the coach --- John Gruden, a former Bruin?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'd say more than a cup of coffee in Boston. they were high enough on him to start playing him right out of college at the end of his senior season like Krug.

Always got him confused with Jon Rohloff. Another questionable d-man.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Some of the Coaching staff have been rehired.

from tsn.ca:

Less than 24 hours after players handed in their jerseys and walked out in support of their fired coach, the OHL's Flint Firebirds are slowly being pieced back together.

Head coach John Gruden and assistant Dave Karpa were re-hired by owner Rolf Nilsen on Monday and given new three-year contracts, team sources confirmed. The news was first reported by @OHLinsiders on Twitter.

Nilsen's about-face came on the heels of a meeting with OHL commissioner David Branch, who was also scheduled to meet with players later on Monday.

Nilsen fired Gruden and Karpa on Sunday night almost immediately after a stirring comeback win over the defending Memorial Cup champion Oshawa Generals because his son was not receiving adequate playing time.

Even Nilsen's son, defenceman Hakon Nilsen, revolted against his father's decision. According to sources, Hakon could be heard making phone calls to his father, saying "What the (bleep) are you doing?" and "You can't do this!" Hakon, who appeared in all three games over the weekend, then joined his teammates in solidarity and returned his jersey.

Full story here: http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-flint-firebirds-re-hire-coaches-after-player-protest-1.390508

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

There are 5 draft picks that were playing there but none of them are ours. The CHL really needs to put something in place preventing fathers from owning the team their son plays for and/or drafting their own son. These are kids livlihoods, literally, that are being played with.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Totally silly question, probably, but do we have prospects playing there?

There are 5 draft picks that were playing there but none of them are ours.

from tsn.ca:

Five NHL draft picks dotted Flint’s roster, including winger Connor Chatham (New Jersey Devils), defencemen Josh Wesley (Hurricanes), Vili Saarijarvi (Detroit Red Wings) and Alex Peters (Dallas Stars), and goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic (Hurricanes). Wesley, 19, is the son of former Hurricanes defenceman Glen Wesley. Saarijarvi, a Finnish blueliner, is a point-per-game player this season and third-round pick (73rd overall). Forward Will Bitten is a 2016 draft eligible forward in the top 20 in OHL scoring.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
There are 5 draft picks that were playing there but none of them are ours. The CHL really needs to put something in place preventing fathers from owning the team their son plays for and/or drafting their own son. These are kids livlihoods, literally, that are being played with.

The guy probably only owns the team because he has a son that age and he wants to make sure he gets playing time in a good league. Owning an OHL team isn't really a profitable endeavor especially this particular vagrant team.

Basically the dude is probably paying for all this just so his kid can play and he isn't playing enough so the owner isn't getting his money worth.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
The guy probably only owns the team because he has a son that age and he wants to make sure he gets playing time in a good league. Owning an OHL team isn't really a profitable endeavor especially this particular vagrant team.

Basically the dude is probably paying for all this just so his kid can play and he isn't playing enough so the owner isn't getting his money worth.

Yah, I think that much is clear at this point. Fortunately the kid seems to have a better head on his shoulders & a better seat in reality than Dad does.

These kids have already been through so much, them having to go through this on top of it is just a shame. It's not like these are 20 something's with NHL contracts. These are babies. Literally. Some as young as 15. Left home, left everything and everyone they knew for their shot and they ended up going somewhere where the owner is a freaking whack job who only cares about his own kid. I bet every single one of these kids parents thought they left that crap behind once their kid moved out of town level hockey.

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor

Believe Dale Hunters kid played for London back in the day. Drafted by Buffalo iirc.

Warren Rychel owns Windsor Spitfires with Bob Boughner and Kerby Rychel played for Windsor.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dave Branch met with the owners and then a group of 5 players who represented the players.

The owner signed a letter of agreement saying he would not meddle in the operations of the team and was given a warning that next time he will be punished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad