Flint Firebirds (OHL) players quit?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for those of you who follow Jr hockey know this is nothing unusual. Back in the 80's I played briefly on a JR B team who had a player who's father was the biggest supporter of the team and when the son was a healthy scratch the kids father went a bit nuts and pulled most of his support till the GM convinced the coach to play the kid in the top 6. I was a bottom 6 player (I sucked and I knew I sucked) and when the coach did that the kids father supported the team again. The kid went the uni route played a few years in Europe and then quit.

But atleast when I played--parents were involved in all levels of JR hockey from being coaches, trainers, owners and all points between. The worst I saw was when a player was the son of the guy who owned the lease on the arena in one small town and he played with the teams ability to use the arena for practice and games sometimes.

USually these things are settled behind closed doors and not in such a public way

IceWolve

Aug 11, 2015
What the Future Holds

True enough . . . and I'm still shocked.

As I see it, the door to the barn has been opened. Next time a popular coach gets fired, there will be consideration by the players of walking out to try to get the decision reversed.

Will it be successful then . . . I hope not. It's a slippery slope that I don't think they should have started down -- regardless of how right the players were in this instance.

Opinionated, you make a good point, however I think some good can and will come from this. Any decent "loving parent" will think twice before putting his kid on a team he owns or controls, cause if you don't have the talent be there, even as a 4th liner it will show and people will know. Problem with Hockey more so than any other sport, especially at the Triple "AAA" level, it is so expensive to play that is sometimes attracts "Some" people not all, with more MONEY than Brains, people who feel their wealth has and will get them everything. I have heard stories of large amounts of case, in brown bags, being discretely dropped off, just so Jr., can play on certain top GTHL "AAA"Teams and when some of these Triple AAA coaches are getting pad like 50,000 a year, well money changes everything. some parents even hire and pay top personal trainers top dollars, to put their kids on programs as young as 12, just nuts, Anyhow I hope Flint does well and buy all accounts they have a stand up coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad