Flint Firebirds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, that was basically their first playoff game and they didn’t bother to show up which is often a theme with this group with big games and “rivalry” games. They’re now basically assured a London or Saginaw matchup in the 1st round and the gate for two playoff games. There won’t be a 3rd home game. Which is why I was so disappointed in the acquisition of Peer. They were going to finish ahead of Sarnia and make playoffs anyway, there was no need to spend six picks on an OA in a rebuild year and if you’re going to spend SIX picks on an OA, he better light it up. Oliver is not. I like the goaltending moving forward and the D is just about set but there’s a long way to go next year with this forward group.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Shutout back to back home games vs a midpack team playing a 20yo Jr B goalie in his 8th OHL game and a non-playoff team that has a ton of injuries and maybe the youngest Dcore in the league right now. Ridiculous. In front of a sold-out crowd too. Who knew Markus Samenas was the one driving the offense all year?

• Haha
Reactions: Toldyaso

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
Happy OHL Playoff Kickoff day! 4 games kicking off tonight- 4 more tomorrow night including
(1) London vs (8) Flint - From the Bud @7:00Pm.

London the heavy favourites coming into the playoffs as the #1 Seed. Where as Flint respectively coming in as the 8 Seed in the Conference and long shots to win this series..

London took the season series 3-1. Including a convincing 9-2 win back on Feb 7th.

London coming in with 9 50+ Point getters this season- Being lead by Flyers Prospect & 100+ point man Denver Barkey & Leafs Easton Cowan respectively with 96 (36 Game point streak).

Knights look to their back end consisting of Sam Dickinson, Oliver Bonk, Jackson Edward & Isaiah George to suppress the Firebirds offense. Michael Simpson is looking to "run it back" and earn himself back to back OHL championships albeit playing on the team he defeated last year. The Overage goalie put together a fantastic season posting a .905 Save% & Goals Against Average of 2.61 While earning 34 Wins and 4 shutouts throughout his 48GP. The 2023 Wayne Gretzky award winner looks to find the magic with the Green & Black that he was able to find with the Maroon & White.

On the other side the Firebirds are coming in being lead by overage forward Nolan Dann. The UofG commit put up 64 points in 65 games this year. on the Backend 05 Defenseman and Dallas draft pick Tristan Bertucci is going to have his hands full trying to shut down the potent Knights offense.
Oilers draft pick Nathan Day is expected to see a ton of rubber in this series something he is used to as he has faced the 9th most shots in the league this season.

Special teams will be a big factor as the highest PP% in the internet era Knights will be up against the 12th overall placed Pk of the Firebirds.

If Flint has any chance of pulling off an upset they are going to need to Suppress the knights lethal offense and capitalize on the chances they are given.

I think London is far too strong and places their system too effectively to fall to the Birds.

I could see Flint taking 1 game. With that being said my prediction is Knights in 5

Good luck to both teams and both fanbases!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Was watching the Soo-Guelph game last night thinking “I wish Flint had picked up 19yo Michigan native Thomas Budnick.” So I went to look up what he was traded for. As I was doing that, I ran across all of McParlan’s trade deadline deals. Yeeesh. We knew it didn’t make sense and wasn’t good at the time but it gets worse the farther we move into the future. GM’s here have REALLY dropped the ball two years in a row. You could actually say 3. If Flint had added a couple pieces in 21-22, Windsor is out in 6 and Flint is in the Finals.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Flint had never been shut-out in back to back home games before and certainly never 3 out of 4 games. If you were wondering why I’ve spent so much time dissing one-dimensional forwards and the OA forwards that are supposed to be driving your offense in Nolan Dann and Oliver Peer….well, there you go. Flint spent 12 draft picks to acquire those two. OA Kaleb Lawrence who scored two goals in the series opener, matching the offense the entire Flint team has produced in the last 4 games? He was traded for one single 8th round pick this year.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Flint had never been shut-out in back to back home games before and certainly never 3 out of 4 games. If you were wondering why I’ve spent so much time dissing one-dimensional forwards and the OA forwards that are supposed to be driving your offense in Nolan Dann and Oliver Peer….well, there you go. Flint spent 12 draft picks to acquire those two. OA Kaleb Lawrence who scored two goals in the series opener, matching the offense the entire Flint team has produced in the last 4 games? He was traded for one single 8th round pick this year.
Im just happy for the OnHockey site, not spending money on a team who might not score a goal the whole series. :laugh::laugh::laugh: (Kidding, kind of? Maybe?)

• Haha
Reactions: Toldyaso

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Hopefully, Flint will hit on their draft picks and make a couple other good moves this offseason to get s better playoff seed. Congrats on breaking your attendance record. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad