Flint After OHL Team?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The only thing I do not like about the Orange, Black, and Yellow colors is that it reminds me of the Flint Bulldogs of the Colonial Hockey League and L.J. Skip Probst.

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
I had red and gold from Liverpool for my Phoenix submission. The colors sound odd together, but if you get the right shades I think they work great. Still hope they use them with the other nickname.

lgSP0844.jpg

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I will take you up on that. I will be coming back from Holland, MI for the weekend. I am going to try and get tickets where my parents had season tickets for many many years with the Generals (RIP Duane and Jeanne Warner). Section 4 Row N (or 13) Seats 1 and 2 and perhaps 3 and 4. What a monumentis night that will be for Flint and Genesee County.

Get those tickets early. I was smart, thinking I could show up to the alumni game at 7:05. It took me 45 minutes from the off ramp (had to be coming from the east for a change) to a parking spot. I know there were some names but I was completely stunned to see that place sold out for what everybody should have known was gonna be a joking, have fun, 40+ year old drop in game. I WAS concerned but after that? It may actually be tough to get tickets at times. And wow, all the way from Holland? Thanks for the support. Especially seeing as how Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Kzoo, WMU, MSU and Notre Dame are closer. Hell, my Blackhawks are probably closer too huh? Me and all my boys always talked about getting an OHL team. I still can't believe it's really gonna happen. Now it's up to the community to make sure it stays.

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
just wondering about the update on this team... will flint be a expansion team or plymouth moving to flint?

Plymouth is moving to Flint for next season. Both the GM and coach of the Whalers are not moving to Flint. The Whalers name and colours are being dropped and a new identity should be revealed soon.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Interesting...

Aaron McMann @AaronMcMann · 33m 33 minutes ago

OHL has approved a nickname, logo and colors for the new Flint franchise, but copyright protection needs to be confirmed first. Story soon.

dogfan

Jun 16, 2009
With a complete overhaul of colours and logo, is there any word on a blow out sale for Whalers merchandise? They have always been one of the nicest jerseys in the league and I'd love to get one.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
With a complete overhaul of colours and logo, is there any word on a blow out sale for Whalers merchandise? They have always been one of the nicest jerseys in the league and I'd love to get one.

Jerseys are currently being sold at 50% discount in the arena pro shop.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Greenway has never said he wouldn't play for Plymouth. He was just going the USNTDP route until his NHL draft year to keep his options open -- no different than Milano or J.T. Miller, who both ended up coming to Plymouth after getting selected in the first round, or other players like McCarron with London (after the Habs selected him in the 1st round). The Whalers also drafted Greenway's brother last summer, so I think they would have had an excellent chance of getting Jordan to Plymouth next season had the organization remained intact. It remains to be seen whether the new Flint organization will be as successful in recruiting him or similar players in the future.

With all the CHL, it comes down to recruiting, I suspect this is where Plymouth failed this year. Flint coaches and scouts will need to do much better.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Any authentics?...or just replicas?

Both.

With all the CHL, it comes down to recruiting, I suspect this is where Plymouth failed this year. Flint coaches and scouts will need to do much better.

No, Plymouth's failure this year was in the Gong Show that was hired to replace Mike Vellucci behind the bench. While Mark Craig didn't do a horrible job replacing MV as GM, Don Elland has been terrible as coach. The team successfully recruited Sonny Milano away from Boston College, so recruiting wasn't a failure.

A rash of injuries didn't help, either, but I still believe with competent coaching the team would have easily made the playoffs.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Both.

No, Plymouth's failure this year was in the Gong Show that was hired to replace Mike Vellucci behind the bench. While Mark Craig didn't do a horrible job replacing MV as GM, Don Elland has been terrible as coach. The team successfully recruited Sonny Milano away from Boston College, so recruiting wasn't a failure.

A rash of injuries didn't help, either, but I still believe with competent coaching the team would have easily made the playoffs.

The fact remains Greenway selected the USNTDP over Plymouth. Also, most last place finishes at the junior level have elements in poor recruiting. One success in Milano does not prove that recruiting wasn't a failure IMO. Plymouth went from a playoff team to a dormat and all are responsible; the Coaches, GM, and Scouts.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Fire Orange and Red with a splashes of Black and White would be incredible.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Plymouth wouldn't be in last if Vellucci was behind the bench. They have enough talent to compete.

Vellucci was good, no doubt and yes there were some injuries. However, in most cases, the cream rises to the top. If they quit on this Coach/GM because Vellucci was not there, I wouldn't want them in Flint anyways. Also, Vellucci had plenty of say who his successor was going to be. I am glad Flint owners are cleaning house, and they may have to do the same with some of these players as well. This is just my opinion and it is fine if you do not agree.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The fact remains Greenway selected the USNTDP over Plymouth. Also, most last place finishes at the junior level have elements in poor recruiting. One success in Milano does not prove that recruiting wasn't a failure IMO. Plymouth went from a playoff team to a dormat and all are responsible; the Coaches, GM, and Scouts.

Many players select the USNTDP initially in order to keep their options open. If a top American player signs with the CHL immediately after being drafted by that league, he (1) gives up any option of playing in the NCAA, (2) is bound to the CHL until he is 20 years old (unless he is good enough to go directly to the NHL), and (3) therefore gives up a lot of leverage regarding his career. A player who instead is drafted by the CHL and instead goes to the USNTDP (1)) keeps his options open for the NCAA, (2) does not have to stay in the CHL until he is 20 (if he waits to sign with the CHL until after he is drafted into the NHL), and (3) therefore can enter the AHL earlier.

Many Americans choose the USNTDP for the above reason. It has nothing to do with Plymouth being a dormat this season -- the Whalers were not a dormat when Greenway was drafted, they were in fact an OHL title contender. If you are going to follow the OHL in Flint, you need to understand this point -- it's a common tactic for top American prospects, giving them a quicker path to the professional leagues. Once their NHL draft year happens, they can then select whichever option makes the most sense depending on where they are drafted. J.T. Miller, Mike McCarron and Sonny Milano are just a few recent examples who waited until after their draft to sign their OHL contracts. If the player is not signed to a CHL contract when drafted into the NHL, he does not have to use up his CHL eligibility before being able to play in the AHL. This is an important rule you need to understand.

Plymouth wouldn't be in last if Vellucci was behind the bench. They have enough talent to compete.

Exactly. Elland is not qualified to coach midget hockey, let alone at this level. The guy is a statue behind the bench.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Yes. There is going to be a lot to learn. Sounds like we have a upgrade to Elland in place. As for Craig's replacement, I know who it will be, but not sure if he is an upgrade or not. Getting players to play for them in Flint will be the challenge. PS: The already OHL approved team name and colors will probably be unveiled the week of March 23rd.

Last edited:

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Vellucci was good, no doubt and yes there were some injuries. However, in most cases, the cream rises to the top. If they quit on this Coach/GM because Vellucci was not there, I wouldn't want them in Flint anyways. Also, Vellucci had plenty of say who his successor was going to be. I am glad Flint owners are cleaning house, and they may have to do the same with some of these players as well. This is just my opinion and it is fine if you do not agree.

If you think that the Flint front office is going to be able to turn over a majority of the roster, you may be in for some disappointment. How much say Vellucci had in hiring the current coach and GM isn't known to any of us on this board. It seems pretty obvious that Elland and Craig were just stop gap pieces until the team was moved or sold. What good coaching candidate wants to go into a situation that is up in the air? Now that there is new ownership and a place to play, I am sure they will attracted better front office staff. Although it will be tough to match the coaching Detroit/Plymouth has had over the years with Paul Maurice, Peter Deboer and Vellucci.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad