Fleury/Zatkoff Is there a goalie controversy brewing?

Jedi Pengu*

Haven't seen a thread on this yet. Is Fleury being rested or is Jeff slowly starting to get closer to the starting position. Just seems lately that Bylsma has played him in typical Fleury starts. He's played great too. Just a thought, could get interesting. Something to keep an eye on. I personally believe Fleury will raise his game if there's a threat of him losing the job.

CrozJawz*

There is never a "goalie controversy" in Pittsburgh....until the playoffs begin...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zatkoff is very Fleury like, so no. Last thing we need is for a guy that also can barely hold onto leads, being the #1.

I really rather just have Shero go after Hiller in the off season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I do wish MAF gets bought out or moved in the summer just to go see him thrive for a team that knows how to handle him and help him.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No. Zatkoff is exceeding what anyone could have expected him to do right now, but I just don't see him as starter material.

Now if Fleury ****s the bed again in the playoffs then...nope, Zatkoff would almost certainly be in the back-up role to whoever else was brought in to replace MAF.

Despite what he's done of late (now that he's starting to play actually decent teams...he was incredibly sheltered until the Olympics) I still have little faith in him if we need to count on him in the playoffs. His playoff history throughout the levels has been nothing short of putrid to this point.

Michael8771*

Keeping with the Goalie talk, what the hell is goin on with TV? Why isn't he getting any games in, he's been off blood thinners for what two months now?

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
The coach/management did not allow for a goalie controversy to gain momentum after multiple embarrassing playoff failures by Fleury. He has absolutely nothing to fear until the playoffs are over.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I'd imagine they are just trying to get a clearer picture of exactly what they have in zatkoff moving forward, and giving Fleury a rest pre-playoffs (not that that worked last year)

Jedi Pengu*

Yeah, I think there might be nothing but it started last weekend when Dan pulled Fleury in the Flyers game when he was the best player for the Penguins. I would rather have Fleury in for that attempted comeback. Then after pulling Fleury he should have gotten the second game to get his groove back and Zatkoff started that one too. If flower has a bad game today against St Louis the starter on Tuesday will be telling

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
yes, the controversy is which one will be left on the roster after this summer

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
slightly ot but assuming vokoun isnt back on the roster, the penguins have to have the worst playoff goaltending in the league. can anyone think of a team with weaker postseason netminders?

pretty pathetic for a team with supposed cup aspirations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad