Fleury-Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just because Fleury was drafted 1st overall doesn't mean he's more talented than Cam Ward.

It's more of the fact that Fleury is the most talented goaltender to be drafted in recent memory.

Fleury is a raw player. He has alot of areas in which he has to define and improve upon before he can be an all around solid NHL goaltender. But you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who won't admit he's the most talented goaltending prospect in the world. Not saying he's the best goaltending prospect in the world, just the most talented. Lehtonen is far more refined and a much safer prospect than Fleury.

Comparing Ward & Fleury is a smack in the face of Fleury though.

Master Shake*

Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Just because Fleury was drafted 1st overall doesn't mean he's more talented than Cam Ward.

It's more of the fact that Fleury is the most talented goaltender to be drafted in recent memory.

Fleury is a raw player. He has alot of areas in which he has to define and improve upon before he can be an all around solid NHL goaltender. But you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who won't admit he's the most talented goaltending prospect in the world. Not saying he's the best goaltending prospect in the world, just the most talented. Lehtonen is far more refined and a much safer prospect than Fleury.

Good post and accurate. :handclap:
Fleury also has a great mindset, so if he puts all the pieces together, he should be the best goalie in the NHL in a few years. His raw talent is unequaled. It lets him steal games, make the NHL at age 18, and make saves most goalies dream of. He does need some refining. At worst he will have a Lalime type career.

bruins4777*

Handsome B. Wonderful said:

I disagree with the last statement.

Its not neccesarily a "smack in the face". While ward has had an extra year to develop then fleury, this is also his first year in the AHL and he is playing AWFUL well. He is in the toughest division in the AHL and is not only putting up great stats, but showing a rare composure among goalies of his age.

Ward right now is ahead of fleury in terms of who is better right now, but only due to how much more refined he is then fleury. So i think its good to use ward as a comparison and measuring tool against fleury. So i wouldn't exactly call it a "smack in the face". Because ward's ceiling, while not up to fleury's, is still awful good. By saying a "smack in the face" you are saying fleury will be light years ahead of ward at his full potential which simply isn't true.

If fleury had the poise and techinical fundamentals of ward, he'd be an NHL all-star with his skill set.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the way i see it, talent is only one part of the whole equation when it comes to a hockey player. Fleury is one of the most, if not the most talented goaltending prospect...but all that talent is meaningless if he can't develop into a consistant and technically sound goaltender as well. in short, he has to be a complete package, not just a guy with a lot of talent. fast reflexes and amazing flexibility only get you so far without the rest of the game rounded out, and they alone will not make you a good goaltender in the NHL.

I guess the point i'm getting to in a roundabout way is that it's entirely possible that Ward could end up being a far better goalie than Fleury. I'm not going to speculate on the chances of that happening, I'm just saying that it's not a stretch to think it could happen because they are both still young prospects. Ward could be a better goalie than Fleury even if he doesn't have the same overall talent. I don't really think Roy or Broduer are the most amazingly talented goalies ever to play the game in terms of pure skill, but they're two of the best because they brought it all together...

If Fleury brings it all together, he'll be great...combining amazing skills AND all the technical ability makes for one scary goalie. But Ward could easily be as good or better even without the talent if Fleury doesn't quite put it all together, which is definatly a possibility

so I ramble on and on...IMO Fleury is more skilled but it doesn't necessarily make him the best prospect either

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
Steve Latin said:
Your math is incorrect here. For Fleury to be 48% better than Ward, we have to maintain the following relationship, where F denotes Fleury's "value" and W denotes Ward's value:

F = W * 1.48

If we set F to 100, W must equal 67.57, not 52.

Hence Ward is 67.57 % of Fleury, and Fleury is 48% greater than Ward.

:P

S L

:lol

My math sucks. I don't understand your equation, but I'm impressed. :bow:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think Fleury is more talented. Ward is going to be a very good goalie in the futur and he should lead his team to some sucess but I simply think that Fleury is to talented and will have the ability to dominate the league. Fleury has something special and this is what makes him the most talented. Fleury also is very fast for a 20 year old guy.

I think Ward is going to be great but not Fleury great.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My math sucks. I don't understand your equation, but I'm impressed.

pretty easy actually if you look at it right'

like was said, let F represent Fleury and W represent Ward

so saying F = W would mean Fleury equals Ward

saying F = W * 100% would mean the same thing because 100% is the same thing as 1. and if you multiply anything by 1, that thing stays the same.

So to get Fleury is 48% better, you have to multiply by 148% since multiplying by 100% is essentially saying they're the same...add 48% to that and there you go (though I'm too lazy to think this through to see if the idea checks out, sounds good enough to me though)

so yeah, if F =1 then: 1 = W *148%

divide both sides by 148%, that cancels out on the W side and 1 divided by 148% = 67.6% approx. setting F to 100 and dividing by 1.48 is the same thing, just messing around with converting from % to real numbers, etc. 1 divided by 1.48 = .6756, but to get a percentage of course you have to multiply by 100, which is what the original poster did to start with

so yeah...what the hell am i doing...

Mat

bruins4777 said:
In the NHL fleury will always be an all-star at his peak and be a top 3 or 5 goaltender every year.

thats all guess work
personally, i think fleury will be a bust

Master Shake*

Mat said:
thats all guess work
personally, i think fleury will be a bust

Luongo spent 2 more years in junior after he was drafted and didnt look that great in his 1st pro season, 3 years after he was drafted. Which was why Milbury traded him. Think Mike wishes he had that deal back now?

DiPietro didnt set the world on fire his first 2 pro years either.
A bust for Fleury means a Patrick Lalime career at worst. I think the chance of him being a bust is about 2%. More then likely he will be one of the top 5 goalies or so.

Personally I think he will end up being the top goalie in the NHL in a few years. His talent and make up is phenominal.

bruins4777*

Luongo was in juniors cause milbury wouldn't sign him. And he looked rather impressive to me in his rookie season playing on an isles team that is pretty much equivalent to the pens. I thought luongo was very good in his debut and the season as a whole. He wasn't an incredible all-star, but he was far above average for a rookie goaltender. He was traded cause...its milbury and he thought dipietro had a higher ceiling than luongo. Apparently trading away a potential franchise goaltender and forward for two 20 goal guys and the ability to pick another far less regarded potentential franchise netminder is the way milbury's head works. Especially consider if milbury wanted to he could have picked gaborik or heatley, but being milbury he went for the idiotic trade.

Fleury's chance of being a bust is low to me. Unless the pens absolutely screw up remarkabely in developing him. All fleury needs is a decent goalie coach its not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad