Confirmed with Link: Fleury signs 3 year extension

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
remind me again how the Knights have oodles of cap space moving forward?...

I wonder what Subban will re-sign for :eek:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I would have wanted to see how Subban did this season before extending Fleury. I was also expecting a hometown discount. GMGM is pissing cap space away imho.

The team should hire me as GM. Lol

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
7 million is a lot. Plus Fleury will be 38 in the 4th year. After last season there was no way they would let him walk.

Reactions: Fixxer

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think it's very good that Vegas locked him down for three years but 7 million is 2 too much.

He wanted to finish his career here and there is no income tax. He has already made a bunch of money. No team that he would be willing to sign with would have offered him more than three years.

We really should have been able to convince him to take less to help build a contender and increase his likelihood of leaving a bigger legacy on the game for himself. McPhee just isn't a negotiator, it seems.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Had NMC in previous contract. Haven't seen it mentioned if he'll get one on this.

Thinking that even without NMC/NTC, he might be protected from (potential) Seattle expansion draft (circa 2020), due to age (and possible down turn in play).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Had NMC in previous contract. Haven't seen it mentioned if he'll get one on this.

Thinking that even without NMC/NTC, he might be protected from (potential) Seattle expansion draft (circa 2020), due to age (and possible down turn in play).

But we are protected from the expansion draft as a team, right? So what does it matter about him personally?

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
It might be a little more money than we wanted to see, but the term is fantastic! Yes, GMGM is chipping away at the cap, but he has to sign his guys, and Flower definitely deserves it! Hopefully last season is just the start of 3 more prime years for Flower!
Hoping you're right.

Someone here, and I believe their name was Me, doubted Flower was gonna have a career year at his age. Well, he did and Me was happily proved wrong. Can he at least come close to last year's numbers in the season(s) ahead? I'll reverse jinx again and say no way! :laugh:

Reactions: ChanceVegas

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
remind me again how the Knights have oodles of cap space moving forward?...

I wonder what Subban will re-sign for :eek:

I think Subban is going to leave once he gets to UFA, he's going to get more money elsewhere on speculation he can be a solid #1. I'm not sold on it and I don't think the organization is either. Sort of the argument of if he's going to be Martin Jones or Scott Darling. Important for VGK to start developing Dansk/Legace for the role of backup. If either or both make good progress may make sense to trade Subban in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
A team desperate for a goalie would have given Fleury 7 million with more term. This is a good deal. Fleury is the main reason this team made it as far as it did in the playoffs. Goalies don't typically slow down as early like forwards and plus he's a great guy to have around the team.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I've never been much interested in the business/money side of things.

Wouldn't paying Flower less in years three and four mean his cap hit is a bit less those years? Or are these things figured differently?

Enlighten me, por favor! :help:

No problem! Cap hit is determined by the annual average value of the contract over it's entire duration.

So, in this case, 3 years and 21 million would mean 21÷3=7. The cap hit is 7 million during all the three years of the contract. The cap hit is always the same.

There are circumstances where the first year of a new contract is a higher cap hit and the rest is lower but that only happens in tough negotiations that drag out where the new contract isn't signed until the season has already started, I believe. Anaheim went through this with both Corey Perry and Hampus Lindholm in recent times.

Frontloading a contract and paying more at the beginning in real dollars and less at the end is usually a tactic to make the contract more movable in those final years to teams less worried about their cap hit but rather their internal budget.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
No problem! Cap hit is determined by the annual average value of the contract over it's entire duration.

So, in this case, 3 years and 21 million would mean 21÷3=7. The cap hit is 7 million during all the three years of the contract. The cap hit is always the same.

There are circumstances where the first year of a new contract is a higher cap hit and the rest is lower but that only happens in tough negotiations that drag out where the new contract isn't signed until the season has already started, I believe. Anaheim went through this with both Corey Perry and Hampus Lindholm in recent times.

Frontloading a contract and paying more at the beginning in real dollars and less at the end is usually a tactic to make the contract more movable in those final years to teams less worried about their cap hit but rather their internal budget.
Excellent explanation! See, I always assumed (ya know what that means!), the cap hit depended on the actual money paid each season on a contract and not the AAV. And now I know that's not so! So I can see why the AAV is always so prominently mentioned in contract terms. Also, makes figuring out the whole cap thing much easier. :thumbu:

Gracias and thank you! :nod:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
A team desperate for a goalie would have given Fleury 7 million with more term. This is a good deal. Fleury is the main reason this team made it as far as it did in the playoffs. Goalies don't typically slow down as early like forwards and plus he's a great guy to have around the team.

I hope you’re right. Most goalies I’ve looked at, they tend to hit a wall around 36 years of age.

Fleury looks to be a better bet than most, though. He’s the face of the franchise and will hopefully retire a Knight.

Guess anyone who was on the fence can now go out and purchase their #29 jersey! Me included.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad